Choose your own adventure books.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
So, I have never read a choose your own adventure book (I don't even know if they keep making them lol). I wouldn't even know which to go with for my starting one but I've been curious and wanted to try out one. Anyone here a fan of them? I'd appreciate some recommendations and other trivia that would be good to know.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Choose your own Adventure books from the actual CYOA series, or the format in general?

Lets start with the former: good news, yes they still publish them. And there's literally 184 of them to choose from. Quality tends to vary, but overall they are pretty good for what they are and you can start anywhere you like (there's no interconnected story or anything, except a couple of books being direct sequels to others). Personal favorites are:

- Mystery of Chimney Rock
- Mystery of the Maya
- Journey Under the Sea
- Secret of the Ninja

They all tend to be extremely goofy, and don't be surprised if more than one choice ends in a really dumb death, but overall they're pretty enjoyable.

If you want something in the format but not an actual CYOA book, I cannot recommend Lone Wolf enough. It's a CYOA book meshed with a solo RPG. You make your guy, you go through the story, and a lot of the choices and consequences are based on your skills. Really, really fun.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
I know I read a few back in the day, but the only one I can still recall is a Robin Hood book called Sword of the Templar [https://www.amazon.com/Robin-Sherwood-Game-Books-Adventure/dp/0140322957], which apparently was the second in a series, which was itself based on a TV show. Huh.

I remember liking it back then, but Lord only knows how I'd find it today, so take this with a grain of salt.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Baffle2 said:
Jackson and Livingstone, Fangs of Fury.
I second this.

You can't really go wrong with the Fighting Fantasy series by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. Like the Lone Wolf books mentioned above (which are also really good) they're a mix of CYOA story and solo RPG mechanics. If you're going to go for one might as well start at the beginning

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I would also point out all the Lone Wolf books are free to download thanks to the generosity of Joe Dever the writer and also fans have made online versions to play it out on a computer or tablet.

https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
MetalDooley said:
Baffle2 said:
Jackson and Livingstone, Fangs of Fury.
I second this.

You can't really go wrong with the Fighting Fantasy series by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. Like the Lone Wolf books mentioned above (which are also really good) they're a mix of CYOA story and solo RPG mechanics. If you're going to go for one might as well start at the beginning
There's a bit too much Early Entry Weirdness in Warlock for my taste. Citadel of Chaos or Deathtrap Dungeon are slightly more accessible entry points.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't seen a Choose Your Own Adventure book in years, not since I was like 10 or 11. I had several of them, but the only one I can remember was about an invisibility cloak. I also remember having a couple of Super Mario books that were in the format of CYOA.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
If you like RPGs, the DestinyQuest series are basically single player CRPGs in the form of paperbacks.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Yes, yes, the abstract image in my head is very close to the recommendations here. Much gratitude.

The ones which have more RPGish elements sound like exactly what I want so I think I'll give those a look in the near future.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Dreiko said:
Yes, yes, the abstract image in my head is very close to the recommendations here. Much gratitude.

The ones which have more RPGish elements sound like exactly what I want so I think I'll give those a look in the near future.
DestinyQuest it is then, make sure you have a pair of d6, a pencil, and an eraser handy (I also recommend getting a Pocket Protector to store all the stuff in, so you can carry everything you need attached to the actual book).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh man, I remember those. Went through a phase of reading tons of them when I was about 9-10 years old.

They were uniformly terrible. I can only recall one that was kinda-sorta-maybe okay. Something about a girl with time travel powers.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
TheFinish said:
If you want something in the format but not an actual CYOA book, I cannot recommend Lone Wolf enough. It's a CYOA book meshed with a solo RPG. You make your guy, you go through the story, and a lot of the choices and consequences are based on your skills. Really, really fun.
THIS. So very, very much.

You can read them at Project Aon (https://www.projectaon.org/), and there's been a hardback reprint of them in process forever. Mongoose was doing them, passed it on to Mantikore-Verlaag, and now it's Joe Dever's own Holmgard Press doing them. He's planning on writing a few new ones as well, but who knows if that will come to pass.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
There's also a series that fits between CYOA and Lone Wolf in terms of RPG-ness called Wizards, Warriors & You. It's got two complete CYOA narratives per book. Essentially the titles center around a pair of heroes referred to simply as the Wizard and the Warrior. After the intro to the story, you choose to play as one of them, and they have their own versions of the story, with branches and options from there.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I seem to recall the Aladdin's lamp one being really good. Also, there was the one about turning into a genius overnight and the one where you inherit an ancient house with three magic boxes that you have to choose which one to open being memorable.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Had a few, never liked 'em. The consequences seemed arbitrary and the outcomes were not linked to your information, or good decision making. "You reach a fork in the road, and both paths seeem identical. Turn left: turn to page 20: YOU DIED!; TUrn right: Turn to page 21: COntinue on!"

CheetoDust_v1legacy

Jun 10, 2017
Chaosium have released some based on their Call of Cthulhu system. Only done one myself. "Alone Against The Flames". It was fun and if you're unfamiliar with the game system it's a fun little introduction.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
WolfThomas said:
I would also point out all the Lone Wolf books are free to download thanks to the generosity of Joe Dever the writer and also fans have made online versions to play it out on a computer or tablet.
https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home
First reaction when reading OP was actually to post the link to Project Aon's books :D

Schadrach said:
now it's Joe Dever's own Holmgard Press doing them. He's planning on writing a few new ones as well, but who knows if that will come to pass.
Alas Joe Dever died a year ago...

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Alternatively, search for Choice of Games on Steam. They publish a load of choose your own adventure novel/games on there, decent price, and some of them are really good. Call it the 21st century option. I love paper books as much as anyone else, but crying on a book is a bit worse than crying on a keyboard.