Chris Taylor Calls Supreme Commander 2 The Best in "Large Scale RTS"

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
It's not large scale. The first Supom was large scale, SupCom2 has maps mostly in the Starcraft size range. And it's SupCom in name only since it has very little (if anything) in common with the first game. But it's not a bad game. Shame the developers market it as something it's not, since it could stand on its own just fine.

A Random Reader

Nov 18, 2009
Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance were all awesome, with interesting gameplay mechanics, but from what I saw in the demo, the thing sucked (for me anyway), Badly too, It removed the gameplay and aesthetics that I loved, the auto repair buildings, the Massive robots (O.K. they still have big robots in the second one, but not near as large as they were originally), the Ability to play it slowly and defend or build a massive resource production then Wipe the floor with them, The ability to have multiple engineers working on a one building, Etc.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
This just in: Analysts hypothezise that Chris Taylor can't make two consecutive good games, and also that he's been smoking way too much weed grown by Peter Molyneux the last months.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Deathfish15 said:
Zerg and Terrains were based more heavily on Aliens.
Oh and so were Tyranids.

Also Tau was likely based off the Protoss.

The Protoss were based heavily on Predator (dreadlocks, bladses, warrior code, and various other things).

Both companies have fed off one another and pop culture in a myriad of ways over the years and they've both been better for it.

Reminds me of when people say "Oh my god! I can't believe there are elves in this game. They totally ripped off Tolkein." Or the chick who said that new werewolf movie ripped off Twilight.

Yes...because Tolkein was the first person to ever use elves. Everything you think your favorite pop company made first they copied from someone you probably never heard of.

As for the OP.

I love CnC, I love Warcraft, I love TA, and I love SC.

But SC2...that must have been the worst demo ever because I have absolutely no desire to ever buy the game :(.

Which is a shame because I was kind of excited for it.

They should have taken a page out of gamefreaks book and just made a shinier version of a succesful game :).

Rico

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
with SC1FA, i loved the fact you could split the team and [HEADING=1]actually co-ordinate a pincer attack[/HEADING]
rather than most games, where even assigning teams and scrolling around doesnt help. but it was all killed by the fact that you can just build a thousand bombers, and most AA missiles cant hit them until at least theyve fired their payload

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Oh Chris. T, how low you have fallen. It's clear this game is nothing like or as epic as the original. Surely the cries and lamenting of your fans over how Starcraft SupCom2 is has reached you?

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Sounds to me like this game currently isn't worth getting. Perhaps in a patch or two... or maybe if they successfully create a SC 3, then and ONLY then, will I stop playing the awesome first one.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Supreme Commander was a terrible terrible followup to Total Annihilation, and from everything I hear Supreme Commander 2 is worse. My suspicion is that TA was really just a fluke, and Chris Taylor is the latest in a long line of developers who have undeserved "star power". Dungeon Siege was rather aggressively marketed with his name on the front of the box, and that game turned out to be a real pile of arse.
Unfortunately I agree. I found Supreme Commander to be really frustrating with vehicles getting stuck on everything including the terrain itself and they copied the building style from Metal Fatigue, including all the annoying bits n' pieces with it. Total Annihilation will never get a proper sequel the way things are going.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
is paint attack thing the auto grouping of units?
i like auto grouping sooo much. no more spamming ctrl+1 shift+1 buttons.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
When oh when will developers learn.

Dumbing down a sequel for the console kids is not acceptable. Didn't work for Elder Scrolls, doesn't work for SupCom.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Supreme Commder 2 feels like an entierly different game from the first one.
It's not bad,but,it's lacking things.

Where are all the tiered units?Infect,where the hell are the tiers?
Knowing when to tier was a strategy upon itself knowing it took 5 minutes for a factory ti tier to level 3 without any help.
Where are the mind numbingly powerful expertimentals that can crush units if they get too close?
Hell,just the other day 24 of my (fully upgraded)tanks wrecked the UEF version of the Collosus.
What the hell?!They should have been annihilated.
Also,only 3 aircrafts per faction?
While we're talking about factions,the character design for the Cybrans went from cybernetically assisted soldiers,to Frakenstein-esque creations,although this is only personnal taste and has nothing to do with the gameplay,hence isn't the most relevant here.

No Mr.Taylor,the best modern "Large-Scale-RTS" is still by far Supreme Commander 1.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
There has never, and will never, be an RTS that will work better on console.
And I'm only exaggerating a tiny bit.
RTS is a "PC genre", just like third person adventure games are console games.

I played the SupCom 2 demo and hated all of it, with the exception of the commander's personalities.

It was pathetically dumbed down, and any claim that it wasn't made worse by being designed for console is wrong. Just wrong.

I should have known when I first saw the screenshots of the Cybranosaurus, but nooo, I just thought they might be adding more of the ridiculous robot fun that made the first game great, along with the wonderful resource gathering and complexity.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
Oh yes, "My game is the best game evar," like we haven't heard that before.
Cue Peter Molyneuz walking in!

Seriously though, saying your game is the best ever is like saying that Bread is good...its to be expected.

Although, in his defense be things its best one he has made himself so...time will tell

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Exocet said:
No Mr.Taylor,the best modern "Large-Scale-RTS" is still by far Supreme Commander 1.
Whats terrible is that some of the ideas in supcom 2 are nice like the aeon illuminate having no navy. and the fact that all cybran navy units can walk on land.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
zakski said:
Exocet said:
Whats terrible is that some of the ideas in supcom 2 are nice like the aeon illuminate having no navy. and the fact that all cybran navy units can walk on land.
I don't know,I would have understood if the aeon had a less ships to choose from,but none feels wrong.But then again,ships are so weak regular tanks rip them apart.
I love the fact all Cybran ships can walk on land though,having a land/sea mobile airbase rocks.
The upgrade system is also a sweet boon.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
he might be right about his statement seeing that i can only think of 1 other game on this scale. that being Sins of a Solar Empire... wait no i think SoSE is better. :p

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Deathfish15 said:
Powerman88 said:
I loved Total Annihilation, I LOVED the first SupCom, and playing the demo for supcom2 REALLY broke my heart into a million pieces. I'm glad I'm not the only one. How can he expect that to compete with Starcraft 2?
Let us see, for a minute:

Star Craft 2 = limited resources

Supreme Commander 2 = unlimited resources

That alone makes SupCom2 stand out differently than SCraft2. With SCraft2, each map has a limited amount of those crystals spawning, and once all are harvested, no more units can be made and then it's "1st one out loses". With SupCom2, players can create a never-ending steam of factory created armies that make for far more epic battles.

Oh, and SupCom2 has the super-zoomed out control mode method (I don't think SCraft2 has this, as the 1st one didn't).

And SupCom2 has it's Experimental Units and it's ACU super-soldier units, which I KNOW SCraft2 doesn't have.

P.S. I hate to say it, but SCraft is a rip-off of the GamesWorkshop Warhammer 40k material, such as how Zerg resemble the Tyranids, or how the Terran resembles the Space Marines, or how the Protoss are slightly similar to the Eldar. Honestly, they did the exact same thing for the Warcraft series which they ripped from the Warhammer (original) series. And ya, GW made theirs first as it was in the 1980's while Starcraft/Warcraft released a decade later in the 1990's.

Khitten said:
Isn't it one of the only "large scale" RTS around? I have not played #2 yet but I was unimpressed with #1. Yes, I could have hundreds of units running around but mostly it turned into a horrible cluster fuck with poor control and horrible pathfinding.
I will stick to my smaller scale RTS thank you very much.
Well, I'd suggest trying the demo because #2 really clears up the "cluster ****" nicely with unit grouping. Just by clicking and dragging, or shift-clicking groups, you put them together into a batch that you'll get a singular icon control (stacked ontop of the batch of individual unit icons, of course) for that group. It makes group control, batching, and advancement on the battlefield that much more easier. Oh, and they also auto-group from their construction factory at their rally point.
Yeah but the demo wasn't fun; and by proxy I would assume based on the demo (and reviews) that the whole game isn't much better than the demo. I LOVED the first supreme commander because it was the complete opposite of starcraft where it was a space/future rts that didn't play at ALL like sc (and was still FUN to play). The reason I compare it to starcraft is because lets face it; sc is the benchmark in rts like wow is the benchmark in mmo. Theres not a lot of room to argue there.

All in all, Supreme Commander 2 did not come close to blowing me away like the first one did and it just feels like it lost all its charm. The graphics suck too.

omglaserspewpew

Jan 28, 2008
Heh, judging by what I read in this thread, game developers should never, EVER, listen do their fans, since those usually pathologically emotionally attached to their work, which may backfire at the slightest hint of variation.

Supreme Commander 2 is a good game. It's not as novel as SupCom was and has a fair share of wrong approaches and imbalances. And, ultimately, it's not a game completely ylike its predecessor. But still a good game. Demo sadly doesn't do it justice.

EDIT: oh and, whoever says CupCom 2 is a bland console port, has no idea. Way to bash a game you obviously didn't even play for more than an hour.