Chrono Trigger Comes To iOS Next Month

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Chrono Trigger Comes To iOS Next Month

Just in time to be an iTunes stocking stuffer, Chrono Trigger's iOS release is just around the corner.

You can't fault Square Enix for milking player nostalgia when it comes to Chrono Trigger. After all, the game is widely-regarded as one of the best RPGs of all time and - since it was initially put out on SNES - the publisher's re-released it on PlayStation, Nintendo DS, mobile phones, Virtual Console, and the PlayStation Network. Now, the game is due out for yet another platform: iOS devices.

Chrono Trigger has been updated for iOS in order to support touch screen controls, but the game is reportedly unchanged, otherwise. This includes keeping the original SNES graphics in place. Additionally, the in-game text will be available in Japanese, English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, and Italian.

Square Enix hasn't been slacking when it comes to porting classic games to iTunes. Titles like The Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy III have proven insanely popular, as have original games like Crystal Defenders and Song Summoner.

Currently, a definite release date other than "before the end of December" and a price point have yet to be announced. An Android build is supposedly in the works, too, but details are more than a little fuzzy about that right now.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-chrono-trigger-ios-releases-next-month>Eurogamer

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It was on it a long time ago with emulators. But, it's good to see a great game get more attention.

the spud

May 2, 2011
They have released this like a billion times by this point, but it is still nice to see more people get a chance to play the greatest RPG of all time on the go.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
Still my favorite RPG of all time, always makes me feel good to see something about this game.

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
"Japanses". May want to fix that.

Even though I was never able to play Chrono Trigger until a year ago, it quickly became one of my favorite games, right up there with Majora's Mask and Deus Ex. Since my school is pushing IPads, I might as well pick this gem up and have something to do in my Theology class.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I'm less than excited about the continued re-release of Chrono Trigger, it was awesome when the game was relatively hard to get, but with so many re-releases of it on increasingly trivial platforms within the same generation I can't bring myself to get excited.

IMO they should work on getting Chrono Cross out there, or getting more versions of say Xenogears in circulation... or better yet start working on some non-Final Fantasy IPs. You know like a third Chrono game? Maybe the legendary Chrono Break? An actual Xenogears 2? (as opposed to Xenosaga which sort of failed in connection).

This kind or makes me think about how Squeenix has been saying that they couldn't make games of the complexity of Final Fantasy 7 anymore, which is incidently kind of BS since the new tech wouldn't be better if it was incapable of accomplishing what previous generations could accomplish (I could say more about this and their explanation but it's increasingly off topic). It's kind of annoying to see that their last big "RPG" (Final Fantasy XIII) could arguably be called "Hallway Walker: The Interactive Movie", and otherwise they seem to largely be surviving off of nostolgia by releasing and re-releasing older products as
opposed to say... creating a similarly deep RPG experience fresh with the current technologies in mind instead of just making excuses.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Titles like The Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy III have proven insanely popular,"
And rightfully so!
Secret of Mana was SUPERBLY epic!!!!

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I'm currently playing the PSN version. Other that the atrocious loading times and unnecesary anime cutscenes, I'm glad to say this game has aged very well. I just wish I had the SNES version.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Better be coming to android or I'll be one sad panda...

Though I don't have a 'droid phone yet... I do not plan on purchasing any more iOverpricedshit for a while.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well I'm less than excited about the continued re-release of Chrono Trigger, it was awesome when the game was relatively hard to get, but with so many re-releases of it on increasingly trivial platforms within the same generation I can't bring myself to get excited.

IMO they should work on getting Chrono Cross out there, or getting more versions of say Xenogears in circulation... or better yet start working on some non-Final Fantasy IPs. You know like a third Chrono game? Maybe the legendary Chrono Break? An actual Xenogears 2? (as opposed to Xenosaga which sort of failed in connection).

This kind or makes me think about how Squeenix has been saying that they couldn't make games of the complexity of Final Fantasy 7 anymore, which is incidently kind of BS since the new tech wouldn't be better if it was incapable of accomplishing what previous generations could accomplish (I could say more about this and their explanation but it's increasingly off topic). It's kind of annoying to see that their last big "RPG" (Final Fantasy XIII) could arguably be called "Hallway Walker: The Interactive Movie", and otherwise they seem to largely be surviving off of nostolgia by releasing and re-releasing older products as
opposed to say... creating a similarly deep RPG experience fresh with the current technologies in mind instead of just making excuses.
Chrono Cross was released for Playstation Network 2 weeks ago in North America. I am pretty sure it was released long ago in Japan and Europe.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
So, Squeenix. I think you've milked poor 'ol CT enough times. How about a -direct- sequel. Not some Final Fantasy-type of sequel. A direct continuation to the plot, no matter how silly it is, would sell the game for me. Do it!