Church Luring Easter Attendees with 3DS Giveaways

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Chibz said:
Greg Tito said:
"I have no problem bribing people with - I'll be crass - with crap in order to meet Christ," the pastor said.
"I beg your pardon," Chibz replied with a huge smile on her face, "but 3D technology are just one of many fruits of the scientific method. In what way has your religion benefited humanity in the only world we're certain of? No way at all."
Please don't be that close-minded.
Christianity has brought the world some benefits, although most of them are problems too.

- Modern printing press. Is an invention that only became popular when moestaries in europe realised how much cash could be made with selling religious texts to nobles.

- Globalization as we see it today was only made popular by colonialization spreading european languages over the world. Missionary schools had a huge part in that.

- The idea of being rewarded for this life's suffering in the afterlife made the pre-industrial society work.

Sure you can get down with a lots of ifs and buts to tackle some of these examples. But you can't deny that christianity has been a huge player in earth history. If any of that is a "benifit" depens on wheather or not you see the world's developement in the last 2000 years as benevolent.

Feb 13, 2008

Ah Ted, can we not just go in for a bit?

No Dougal, I've told you about how Jesus threw the market stalls out of the temple.

It's not like they were keeping money in the church's accounts though, was it?

I've told you it was only resting there! Now shush, here comes Mary now.

Down with this sort of thing!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
How did this become science versus religion? As far as I see it this is science working with religion. Stop trying to pervert the perverted message please people!

If you insist on having your right to go off into arguments irrelevant to this news post then we have a place for you; it's called the Religion and Spirituality section.

If you want to criticize you could point out that:

-They are using vice to vouchsafe virtue
-They are contradicting the very book they live their lives by.
and so on.

Addition: Awesome Accidental Alliteration Allows Addendum

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
Okay this article just made my head hurt. As a Christian who not only attends church regularly and does volunteer work for my church I understand how churches work or at least how mine works and this seems like a bad idea on so many levels. Going to church only to get something material defeats all the purpose of doing so. For me personally Church is an hour where you can get away from the stress and materialism of the everyday world and feel that no matter how messed up and crazy the world may seem there is one thing that can make sense. Having a door prize well there's no way to articulate how wrong that is.

I understand the drive to bring people into the church mainly as a witness of faith but that more people means more income for the church something that a lot of churches are in desperate need of right now. My own church recently had a friendship tea we encouraged members to invite their friends to a special service about friendship and then afterwards had tea/coffee sandwiches, cake and fellowship. Hours and hours of work went into the event though very little money. From all the guests that attended we got one couple that decided to join and in our minds that made the event a huge success. I'm certain that this "crap" give away will be a failure as it was set up that way even if they do get 100s of members because of it.

I suspect I might get flamed for this but I don't really care. I suspect I'm in something in a minority as a practicing Christian who?s also a gamer and a geek but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised to find I'm not.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I wonder if they will have banners with a slogan like:

GOD IS ALWAYS IN 3D

because they totally should.

Also, what's to stop people from coming in, getting the free crap, and never coming again?

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
If you need to bribe people to join your religion you should really be questioning why people don't want to believe it.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Exterminas said:
Sure you can get down with a lots of ifs and buts to tackle some of these examples. But you can't deny that christianity has been a huge player in earth history. If any of that is a "benifit" depens on wheather or not you see the world's developement in the last 2000 years as benevolent.
Actually, western civilization only really started to develop when we threw off the shackles of religious dogma. The christian dark ages (when the church called the shots on EVERYTHING) is a dark, horrible period of western civilization.

Because we started putting religion in its rightful place, we know more now than ever before.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I dont give a damn about those mumbo jumbo religions but id lie my ass off to get one of them then just vanish with my 3DS.

TimeCruiserMike

Oct 1, 2009
I'm an atheist. If I lived anywhere remotely close to that church, I'd show up for the free stuff and then ride off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Chibz said:
Exterminas said:
Actually, western civilization only really started to develop when we threw off the shackles of religious dogma. The christian dark ages (when the church called the shots on EVERYTHING) is a dark, horrible period of western civilization.
This is wrong on so many levels.
I will try listing them all.

Okay. When exactly was that point we broke free of the shackles? Please name a date. You will realize that there isn't an exact date for that. But for the sake of the argument, let's pick the age of reformation about 1550-1600. So lets take a look at everything mankind has achieved during these years, starting with the year zero, conveniently the start of christianity.

The roman empire adapted christianity and soon afterwards fell apart, leaving central europe in peril. (This is the dark part of the dark ages) From that peril rose Francia that gave europe some of it's oldest cities with their infrastructure, their cathedrals and castles.

The punchline about this empire is that is was only able to exist due to christianity. Because in the void left by the romans a multitude of tribes, nations and religions struggeled for dominance. It was Karl der Große, who cleared the battleflied through miilitary dominance. But to keep his empire he had to unite it. He did it by enforcing christianity as the state religion, giving everony a common mark.

After Francia we had the Holy Roman Empire and nations like France and Burgundy that remained powerful and important for centuries. Most of the nations that formed in these times are still somewhat represented today. As are their technologies, like census, banking, engineering, masonry, mining and metalcrafting.

The dark ages weren't a curse that fell upon the world, they were the result of the mess that the romans left behind due to their corrupt and decadent system and a neccesary period of reorganization.

Sure they were a brutal time with a lot of wars and suffering fo the common man, but then again, so was almost every other time in human history. Human rights and individual wealth are new things. So in what way exaclty were the dark ages any darker than other periods of time?

You see, I am an atheist myself. I understand everyone who wants to badmouth religion, because I don't think they are a useful thing to have. But it is just silly and uninformed to say something like "the world has never benefited from christianity"

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Are you sure this isn't actually the Church of Kaiba? Beacuse this Pastor most definitely seems to like to screw the rules and flaunt his material wealth.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Man, if that had been my church (which it wouldn't, because they're obviously full of shit), I'd have dressed up as Jesus, stormed in there, and started overturning tables. Not even kidding. That's just every kind of wrong.