Cigarettes should be illegal.

Link55

Dec 11, 2011
Weed is less harmful than cigarettes. At least weed help people in a way. That and it's natural unlike the thousands of chemicals in the average cigarette. And in what way does a cigarette help anybody. If you know a way please tell me. But they should just ban them without hesitation.

Dec 14, 2009
I dislike cigarettes as much as anyone, but who am I to tell people how to live their lives?

I do not wish to live in a nanny state, and neither should you.

Also, weed has potential harmful side effects in the same way drunkenness has potential harmful side effects.

People do stupid things when drunk, so I can't imagine the number of 'heavy machinery' accidents caused by people who are high all the time.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I do not really think they should be banned. Who am I to tell someone how to live their life? It all comes down to the question "Do people have the right to harm themselves? And if so, to what extent?"

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I then smiled at him, while I lighted up a cigarette.

Y know, that should be a meme.

There's reasons why people smoke, I personally smoke to help stress and anxieties, and guess what, it works for me.

I guess I have a bigger reason than most do anyway.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
If that's the reason then we might as well ban EVERYTHING. Seriously, most of the crap we put in our mouths harms us.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I dislike cigarettes as much as anyone, but who am I to tell people how to live their lives?

I do not wish to live in a nanny state, and neither should you.

Also, weed has potential harmful side effects in the same drunkenness has potential harmful side effects.

People do stupid things when drunk, so I can't imagine the number of 'heavy machinery' accidents caused by people who are high all the time.
Yeah, that.
I dont like smoking, people who smoke... stink. To put it bluntly. You don't notice it when you're around smoke but when you're not it hits you like a wall of gross.

But if people wanna do it then that's their choice.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
I find it curious that you attack cigarettes, and not alcohol, when clearly the latter is the greater evil.

EDIT: I don't disagree though... Just realized that that didn't really come through in the post.

Not trying to be offensive, honest!
Welcome back, you were gone a while.

OT: Personally, I think that anyone should be able to do anything so long as they're in private and it's all consensual. Simplified view, of course.
Also, the "it's dangerous/not dangerous so we shouldn't/should use it" is a fucking stupid argument.

Anyone else thinking that this is just some 14 year old trying to find a way to justify smoking weed to himself?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
No. You have no right to tell other people what they can and can't put in their bodies. If you don't want in public places that's one thing, but outright banning it is another.

How does alcohol actually help people? It's the same argument.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You know, they banned alcohol once. That surely was a succes story, wasn't it?

How about we simply allow people the choice whether to smoke or not, okay?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Link55 said:
Weed is less harmful than cigarettes. At least weed help people in a way. That and it's natural unlike the thousands of chemicals in the average cigarette. And in what way does a cigarette help anybody. If you know a way please tell me. But they should just ban them without hesitation.
Saying something is "natural" is a ridiculous arguement. Plenty of natural things are harmful. Nobody here's going to dispute the harm cigarettes can do, but I also suspect cannabis is not nearly as harmless as you seem to think. For example, some claim cannabis can cause fear, anxiety, distrust, increased heart rate, lower blood pressure, co-ordination issues, memory issues and perception distortion. Now, all of these are contested issues, as are the health benefits, so an outright replacing of cigarettes with cannabis is probably a bad idea as of yet.

Second, people can smoke cigarettes for stress relief, the social aspect, for the taste or maybe even as a way of focusing oneself or concentrating. None of these are physically helpful, and of course will, in the long run, lead to damage, but they're still ways in which people can be helped by smoking.

Finally, as much as I'm favour of some form of controlled legalisation of cannabis, it's unlikely to be all as peachy-perfect as you make it out to be. Certainly the wrong answer would be to ban cigarettes, especially if your answer to that is to then all but replace them with cannabis. Controls on smoking in public places, especially indoors are sensible and for the benefit of the public, but above and beyond that it's no-one's business but their, your or my own when, where, if or how many they, you or I smoke.

EDIT:
TheNamlessGuy said:
EDIT: Also, OT: everyone who smokes should try "snus". At least it doesn't harm the people around you, nor the enviroment.
I desperately needed to edit this post and give this guy some props because FUCK YEAH SNUS. That shit is grand. Best thing about university was meeting a bunch of Norwegians who introduced me to snus. Also learning and stuff, but whatever, snus.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
It should not, that would be silly. In public places though, yeah, I don't want cancer because some prick wants a fag.

And
Link55 said:
And in what way does a cigarette help anybody? If you know a way please tell me.
People enjoy smoking, in the same way people enjoy weed.

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Remember when they banned alcohol? That turned out to be a great idea.
Now even if they would be able to ban it, Weed is already illegal, but that doesn't stop you from smoking it, does it?

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Why bring up weed? Wanting to ban something bad, but then advocating for something that's also pretty bad for you seems a bit stupid.

I don't mind when people smoke outside. It only really irritates me when I'm in a small space like the inside of a car.

Why not alcohol? That's probably even worse for people than cigarettes.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Why not just have both be legal... instead of both being Illegal?

And if you really must know, Marijuana is much worse puff for puff than cigarettes, what makes cigarettes so bad is that smokers generally go through a pack a day or so, so the amount of puffs taken from a cigarette are generally in a much greater quantity.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
EscapeGoat said:
Link55 said:
. For example, some claim cannabis can cause fear, anxiety, distrust, increased heart rate, lower blood pressure, co-ordination issues, memory issues and perception distortion. Now, all of these are contested issues, as are the health benefits, so an outright replacing of cigarettes with cannabis is probably a bad idea as of yet.
quote]

You can add depression to that list as well. Marijuana produces more happy hormones than your brain can naturally, which means the brain can never make you as happy as the weed can. This leads to depression when people aren't routinely stoned.

EDIT: Damnit, quoted the wrong part. I meant to quote the partwhere you listed the problems it can cause.