Cinema Screens Paranormal Activity 4 Instead of Madagascar 3

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Beffudled Sheep said:
Gilhelmi said:
I am not a parent and didn't have any of my own so I'll take your word on the parents being the bigger receiver of trauma. Honestly though I don't see why the parents are so scared. Maybe I'll understand once I have my own kids but I honestly don't understand how over-protective parents can be. Life is an experience with many trials and moments of suffering. Freaking out over things as small as this I believe will do more harm than good to future generations. If you have some kind of scientific evidence that points towards over-protectiveness being better though I will definitely take it into consideration.
It is in their nature. In centuries past, Children grew up much faster. By age 12 you were mostly an adult, maturity wise that is. These, childhood is in many ways is being extended, mostly for the worse (though banning child labor was a good thing).

Back too point, Parents do not always know how too act when these situations arise. They see a dead body (real or not, does not matter) and react too protect the child from the danger of whoever killed them.

Sorry if my point is a bit confused, I am a bit sleepy.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, they'll definitely be scarred. Not because it's a horror flick, but because it sucks.

Seriously, Oren Peli might have struck gold with the first movie, but dragging out the whole "KATIE IS EEEEEEVIL NOW!" schtick does not make for a good series or saga in any shape or form. He's had the same problem with "The Chernobyl Diaries".

Oct 2, 2012
Gilhelmi said:
I agree with this extended childhood being a bad thing. I don't believe kids and teens should be thrown completely to the wolves but they shouldn't be shielded from the truths of the world (pain, death, etc.). I once knew a girl that was homeschooled her entire life until her first year of high school. She didn't know what a war was and had never heard of the holocaust or anything similar. When we studied such subjects in history she flipped out and her parents complained to the school. I shook my head in pity.

But back on topic I think the parents themselves need to grow up. They must have had some very horrible lives if they want to stop their children from true life experience. Every danger, real or perceived, has a lesson to teach and these parents are denying their kids experiences that will actually help them live.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
kajinking said:
So a pointless sequel get shown in place of a pointless sequel?

It could have been worse, it could have been Shrek 5!

BTW I've only seen the first Paranormal Acitvity and was wondering if the second is any good? I like to have a good movie for Halloween.
Nope, one hit wonder.

OT: I can understand the parents being upset, but it wont scar them, it'll just leave them feeling disturbed for a few days at most.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
God you guys are so hardcore, not being scared at a fictional movie! I'm sure as children you were never scared of anything and never had nightmares.

Yeah, this isn't scarring and the lady is hugely exaggerating, but really guys, do you have to come in here and announce how tough you are for not finding a film scary that others do? Like really, you're trying to make yourself look good by comparing yourself to a bunch of kids? I don't get it.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
The amount of stuff like this I keep hearing about paranormal activity 4 keeps making me think it's just a bloody marketing campaign.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
On the list of things that I consider "scarring children for life", a scary movie is wayyy down there. I'd worry about some of the commercials I see on TV, or the violence in schools, before I'd worry about an accidental screening of two minutes of a scary movie.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Paranormal Activity is as scary as The Exorcist?
The Paranormal Activity series is just a jump-scare marathon which is about as subtle with it's demonic encounters as the original Doom games but without any of the fun of chainsaws, the BFG-9000 and a rocking soundtrack. It's hardly entering "scarring for life" territory! It's not scary it's just vaguely startling because unexpected loud noises appear at random.

It's less effective at scaring people than this:

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Grey - I'm guessing you can't say the movie sucks yourself so you add this shiny little addition "poorly-received horror film".

I applaud you and your article. Very nice.