Cities: Skylines Natural Disasters Expansion Adds City-Destroying Fires, Meteors, and More

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Cities: Skylines Natural Disasters Expansion Adds City-Destroying Fires, Meteors, and More

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1343/1343722.jpgNatural disasters, scenarios, and more are coming to Cities: Skylines in a brand new expansion.

One of the things that was missing from the critically-acclaimed Cities: Skylines was natural disasters. Those of you that were fans of the classic SimCity games will remember that you could have either random or player-triggered natural disasters ranging from tornadoes to giant robots.

Today, Paradox announced that natural disasters are headed to Cities: Skylines in the aptly-named upcoming expansion Natural Disasters. The new natural disasters can appear at any time during the game, or can be manually triggered. All of your buildings and infrastructure can be destroyed, fire can spread throughout your city, and your citizens may die.

To deal with these issues, you'll have some new tools in your city's toolbox. You'll be able to build early warning systems, deploy countermeasures, and plan responses and evacuations. You can also set up a new broadcast network to help propagate evacuation warnings and emergency alerts, or just sit back in peaceful times and listen to the new in-game stations.

Besides natural disasters, the new expansion will also add a new Scenario Mode. This will let you design your own custom games, setting objectives, starting cities, win conditions, time limits and more. Once you get the perfect scenario, you can share it to the Steam Workshop for the world to play.

There's no release date for the Natural Disasters expansion, but the press release says that you'll be able to play it "this winter."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Kaiju?! Can we have Kaijus?! KAIJU!
I want to be able to build a city defense Jaeger and fight off giant monsters.

Also zombie apocalypses and alien invasions. And a scenario called Trump 2016 where all the money goes away, you're millions in debt and half the population hates the other half.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
right at the end i noticed a MIRV ICBM so yay nukes.. guess its a bit different from the already in game disaster of drowing your city in a poop tsunami

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was actually hoping for an expansion that would give you really fine control over traffic signals.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Why they're not exapnding on the main gameplay is beyond me. Why not making a futuristic epxansion?

Oh, other city builders did that? Guess what; They're all shit (except maybe Anno 2205). There were in general other city builders before C:S and CO just did it immensely better.

Now, same as with snowfall: "If you don't like the scenario (as in here, seeing your city getting destroyed), well bad luck for you. And go fuck yourself." At least with Snowfall, we got trams afaik. Don't know. Didn't buy. Despite loving C:S to death.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Still nothing on the core gameplay front? Skipping this then.

The game is nice but it's so incredibly shallow and none of the expansions actually offer any expansion of the gameplay. Just inconsequentual fluff.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Naldan said:
Now, same as with snowfall: "If you don't like the scenario (as in here, seeing your city getting destroyed), well bad luck for you. And go fuck yourself." At least with Snowfall, we got trams afaik. Don't know. Didn't buy. Despite loving C:S to death.
Disasters were literally the most demanded feature for the game after it was released. How you can turn this around into a "fuck you" is beyond me. Perhaps you're just that kind of person.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Metadigital said:
Naldan said:
Disasters were literally the most demanded feature for the game after it was released. How you can turn this around into a "fuck you" is beyond me. Perhaps you're just that kind of person.
Perhaps you're just that kind of person that makes up stuff based on one single statement.

Perhaps you could lift your secret about where you got that it was indeed the most demanded feature.

But perhaps I said that because this expansion is as niche as Snowfall, which perhaps nobody liked. Perhaps if CO had implemented seasons in all maps as an option, it would have been regarded better.

And perhaps people had thought that they would implement this in a patch or a 3$ DLC, like basically nothing. Since it simply adds nothing but disasters and stuff to counter them a bit, it only is for the rare occasion of people wanting to destroy a city once every half a year.

And you know, the scenarios come with a patch.

Snowfall was a Fuck You. After Dark wasn't. For me. If you're of a different opinion, I'd make a whish on a miracle to swap with you. But my taste regarding content pretty much is consistent.

Nimcha said:
Still nothing on the core gameplay front? Skipping this then.

The game is nice but it's so incredibly shallow and none of the expansions actually offer any expansion of the gameplay. Just inconsequentual fluff.
After Dark is really good. It's almost on a level to what Rush Hour was to SimCity 4. At least way better than Snowfall

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
Kaiju?! Can we have Kaijus?! KAIJU!
I want to be able to build a city defense Jaeger and fight off giant monsters.
I immediately threw my wallet at my monitor. Now I have to buy a new monitor.