Citizen Kane No longer the best movie of all time

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Imthatguy said:
The best B&W movie period is Metropolis. See it right now if you haven't.
Metropolis is a beautiful film, certainly one of my favourite Silent works... have you seen the recently restored footage?

Vertigo is my favourite Hitchcock film, so good choice and all... but I can't understand why this sort of stuff still gets people in a tizzy. Any "Greatest Film Ever Made" is just plain wrong... any art-form is subjective. There can't be a best film, because no two opinions will ever fully agree on anything... at least that's the way it should be.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Citizen Kane deserves recognition for what it did for the medium and it is a good film on its own merits but it's showing its age badly. Not really surprised people thought it's time to send it on its way.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Would it perhaps be more accurate to say that Citizen Kane was one of the most important films due to its technical achievements and advances? Stories are always subjective but the technical aspects of film making are a bit easier to quantify.

Reggie Rock

Jan 12, 2012
I'm sick of the idea that everyone's opinion is right. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but you need to validate it by some means. "It's just subjective, so i can say whatever i want" is an argument for those who run out of logical responses.

That being said, my favourite movie is 'Hearts in Atlantis'.

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
That's good. It's not like Citizen Kane doesn't DESERVE the top spot, but the same could be said for dozens of movies. The fact Citizen Kane's monopoly on the top spot is over is great for film in general. Citizen Kane being knocked from the top spot means there is no longer an easy "right answer" to the greatest film ever. This can only lead to more discussion.

If only the critical community at large would acknowledge that films have come out since the year 1977.