City of Heroes Goes Rogue In New Expansion

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
City of Heroes Goes Rogue In New Expansion

Things are getting morally ambiguous in City of Heroes with the announcement of Going Rogue, a new expansion pack which will let heroes become villains and vice versa as players explore the gray area between good and evil.

Just like the comic books that it's based upon eventually did, City of Heroes is going through its "moral ambiguity" phase. Maybe heroes aren't just good, and maybe villains aren't that bad. Those are the questions at the heart of Going Rogue [http://www.cityofheroes.com/goingrogue], the new expansion pack in development for NCSoft and Paragon Studios' MMOG.

In Going Rogue, characters will have a new alignment system that will help "players explore the shades of grey that lie between good and evil." Hero characters can become villains, and villains can become heroes. Special missions and "behaviors and decisions by the player" are factored into where a player lies on a moral compass, which, if it's pushed far enough, can change a character's alignment from good to evil or the other way around.

Moral compasses not being frozen, there's always the possibility of swinging back to the other moral side if you so choose. NCSoft also notes that this means that if your current archetype choice has ever barred you from seeing hero capital Paragon City or bad guy base the Rogue Isles, well here's your chance.

"For years, players could choose between playing as a hero or a villain," Brian Clayton, executive producer at Paragon Studios, said. "Now we will present a third, malleable path where players can be affected by the results of their actions, enabling them to further develop, unveil new perspectives, and overcome new challenges."

Going Rogue won't be a free update but a full-fledged expansion pack, so expect there to be more content announced for it in the future. Paragon Studios says it'll be released "when it's ready."

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Wow, that sounds really interesting. Alas, my computer isn't fast enough to handle CoH, and until I get a new one I won't be able to experience CoH for myself. Still, CoH and this new expansion intrigue me....

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Getting back into City of Heroes is looking better and better...

But I'll wait on Champions and see how that turns out.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
smallharmlesskitten said:
Quote from IRC

going rogue is just going to mean villain blasters and hero masterminds
We already have that in CoH, now they're finally going to end up on their proper sides.
The biggest fear in the community, now that NCSoft is firmly in control of the game with Cryptic's departure, is that they'll try to "pull a Blizzard." IE, they'll charge $40 for the expansion and not include a free month with the purchase.

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
I feel kinda odd that the original reason I got into the game is finally being released, and I'm no longer looking for it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I find it strange with Champions so far along that all this attention is suddenly being poured back into CoH.

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
That sounds interesting...it's always nice to have a bit of flexibility in games like these.It reminds me of KOTOR,it really rocked.

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
You know it's a damn shame CoH was never released in Europe.

Edit:I just Checked.It was released in Europe 4 years ago.
I just never saw it anywhere.Didn't hear anything about it neither.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Wayne Insane said:
You know it's a damn shame CoH was never released in Europe.

Edit:I just Checked.It was released in Europe 4 years ago.
I just never saw it anywhere.Didn't hear anything about it neither.
Oh dear, lol, it was a special EU edition and everything, played it back about 3 years ago.

Played it on and off since then, but I doubt I'll resub for this, especially if I have to pay for the expansion unlike the free chapter updates, I'm use to my games giving me free content, lol. (Valve/EvE/Planetside)

But definately seems odd, Champions Online is almost finished, I saw my mate playing on his Beta account and it looks so damn good.