City of Heroes MMO shutting down

Apr 5, 2008
I just now read this article [http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php] on the official site, main point as follows:
In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.
Well, I've been an off and on player of CoX since around Issue 10ish and have had a lot of fun with it over the years. It's a strange game, incredible fun for a time but then all at once becoming quite "samey" (at which point I would take a break until I remember the good bits and have another crack). I have all the veteran badges and some great characters I've thoroughly enjoyed playing over the years and will be sad to see it go, particularly as I just two months ago started re-playing it again.

The tragedy isn't that it's shutting down, it's that NCSoft didn't reinvent it some time ago. The gameplay, mechanics and content are (for the most part) there. The only issue IMO was the aged engine that the "upgrade" 2 or so years ago did little to help with. It's not an ugly game, but it does show its age and what I think they should've done was rebuilt the entire engine, take the opportunity to "update" and modernise things a little, and migrate the database across. I'm frankly quite surprised as I thought the move to F2P had been a successful and profitable one.

For those who've never played it, City of Heroes/Villains is/was a comic-book/super hero/villain based MMO. While it was massively multiplayer, there wasn't much by way of persistance (being heavily instanced), the ability to affect the world, or even an economy before the auctionhouse was released. You could create almost any character concept you could think of and pick from a variety of the usual archetypes and both usual/unusual abilities and weapons. Teams of varied characters were great fun to play in and "ALT-itis" was par for the course.

It was originally developed by Cryptic Studios and published by NCSoft who eventually bought it and moved development in-house to their own Paragon Studios. Cryptic went on to develop the next super-hero MMO "Champions Online" and also Star Trek Online and (I believe) are currently developing "Neverwinter" for the Chinese publisher (whose name I forget) that bought them and their IPs.

For those who have played it, do you have any thoughts, or fond memories to share?

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
This was my first MMO and the only one i came back to regularly. I am glad to know so many woderful people in this game and teaming up with them to fight Neo-nazi and dimensional alien invasion. At least we know we were part of the greatest mmo communti and the most AWEWSOME super hero MMO ever!!!

sofaspud

Nov 8, 2010
All MMOs should probably have an ending date. But no MMO, especially one with a community as strong as City of Heroes has, should be ended like this.

I've been in the game for five years. Because of City of Heroes, I've made real-life friends, some of whom turned into roommates, and some of whom ended up getting married -- because of the game and the community.

It may not do any good, but a petition has been formed. I've signed it. I'd sign it again, if I could.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes#

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
WHAAAAT!? I knew they almost tanked a while ago, but I thought ever since they went F2P they were doing pretty well. Boy was I wrong.

I wonder when Champions Online will close down.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
denseWorm said:
Frankly, all MMOs should have an ending date. WoW should take a leaf out of this series' book.
kill it for what amounts to no reason at all? not sure I'm ok with that, since its happening TO ME at this point. besides, NO ONE, not even the devs saw this coming, they just added a new power set not long ago and where prepping for the release of the next issue (content update) NC Soft just went "hey Paragon Studio? yeah, your all fired now and we're pulling the plug on the game, later"

OT:
CoH was the First MMO i played, and joined due to friends, i joined up at the tail end of the CoV update, so roughly 6 years here, off and on

lot of good times, a LOT of good people. and only one time i was every truly pissed at the dev team (anyone remember the AE XP glitch debacle?) I'm going to miss it, a lot. i do however, plan on taking pictures of the 3 characters i have that matter to me, Tyrantess (lvl 50 Energy Melee/Invulnerability Brute), Alice Lavendel (lvl 50 Night Widow) and, my first character, Nekomata (lvl 50 Claws/Dark Armor Scrapper)

favorite ATs:
Brute
Solider of Archnos
Blood Widow

Favorite bit of content:
the tip missions, the Villain->Rouge and Rouge->Hero in particular

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
LetalisK said:
WHAAAAT!? I knew they almost tanked a while ago, but I thought ever since they went F2P they were doing pretty well. Boy was I wrong.

I wonder when Champions Online will close down.
that's the thing, CoH was never in trouble. they're pulling the plug from what amounts to 'because we can'

TaintedSaint

Mar 16, 2011
Currently COH is profitable, my hunch is COH players are not playing GW2 so they decided to tank COH. The real sad thing is team paragon getting canned with no notice at all.
I'm glad I did not Buy GW2 I will never buy another NCsoft product again after this BS.