Civ V: Brave New World Review - Trade Conquers All

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Civ V: Brave New World Review - Trade Conquers All

New systems and unique civilizations make Civ V feel complete.

Read Full Article

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Interesting. Hopefully I'll catch it on a good sale due to a lack of funds on my part.

And as someone who actually prefers the more peaceful victories to killing everything (I still don't even have a nuke achievement on Steam), it looks like it helps me out.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Glad to hear it's not crap.

Gives me another reason to sink even MORE hours into this game.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Gandhi is a war-loving bastard.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Arakasi said:
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Gandhi is a war-loving bastard.
If you look at the TVTropes page, it's pretty much accepted by everyone that once Ghandi discovers nukes he will use them. A lot.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
00:32 Ah, the good old "Hide spaceship parts around your capital until you have them all while bullshitting your friends by making them think you're not even close to finishing it" tactic. Its so much fun!

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Chessrook44 said:
Arakasi said:
If you look at the TVTropes page, it's pretty much accepted by everyone that once Ghandi discovers nukes he will use them. A lot.
I thought I had heard early after the game initially released that ghandi's ai code had him fast tracked to get nukes as a priority. when I was playing a lot I don't think I had ghandi show up as an enemy civ enough to really notice

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I'm sure it's a great expansion, but the price tag of 30? (in Germany), that's 38.59 USD, is outrageous in my opinion. Especially considering that the new features

feel like they should have been there all along.
This is an expansion DLC priced like a standalone game. Firaxis is really pushing it. There is no way I will ever pay that kind of money for an expansion like this. I'll get it once it's below 12? on Steam. There is no shortage of other games to play in the meantime.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
I'm really looking forward to this expansion but I'm waiting for a sale. It seems to add everything I want in the game.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Arakasi said:
He's a treacherous spying fucker too, can't be trusted, especially since he has the nasty habit of blocking your roads with his new cities.

The prick.

DarkArk

May 3, 2011
Firaxis wisely believes the evened-out power curve of units in the last expansion did not need to be tinkered with further.
That's too bad, considering the game could really use a dreadnought unit between frigates and battleships.

Debating whether I should pick this up now or further down the line.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Any improvement to the rather weak AI or the crappy net code?

Still buying it regardless, but yeah, those would have been nice.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Adventurer2626 said:
I got the Civ V trailer ad right before the review lol. Thanks for the review.
I got that too, it was kind of odd.

OT: I have been holding off to buy Civ 5 until this expansion. I like buying the gold/inclusive packs. I still play Civ4 for hours. AHHH.. Montezuma why do you always attack me at the most in opportune time.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Tarkand said:

Actually they fixed a lot of the AI and Netcode issues with a patch last week. I know that multiplayer has very little issues at this point. And the AI doesn't seem to be so blindingly dull anymore, especially when attacking/defending cities.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
tendaji said:
Tarkand said:

Actually they fixed a lot of the AI and Netcode issues with a patch last week. I know that multiplayer has very little issues at this point. And the AI doesn't seem to be so blindingly dull anymore, especially when attacking/defending cities.
Very good to know. I tend to play Civ5 way to much for a few months and then stop for a few months as well... so I was totally unaware of that patch.

Good to know!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
I'm sure it's a great expansion, but the price tag of 30? (in Germany), that's 38.59 USD, is outrageous in my opinion. Especially considering that the new features

feel like they should have been there all along.
This is an expansion DLC priced like a standalone game. Firaxis is really pushing it. There is no way I will ever pay that kind of money for an expansion like this. I'll get it once it's below 12? on Steam. There is no shortage of other games to play in the meantime.
Same here, it's a lot to ask for an expansion, but it will come down in price soon enough I hope.

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
I'm definitely interested in getting this, although, like Tiamat commented ?30 feels a tad steep for an expansion pack. What also grinds my gears, although this expansion is hardly the first time it happens, is why the blazes a fully digital product through Steam releases on tuesday in the US and us Europeans have to wait until friday.