Civilization 5, and my Laptop has disappointed me. (But good news for Halo: Reach)

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
TheComedown said:
CJackson95 said:
1. Of course it is in the series, it is called CIVILIZATION Revolution. And yes, I do like strategy games, I DO have the mental capacity to make decisions, (despite being a console gamer (that's sarcasm, in case you try to make another bad comment on that.))

2. I didn't know it was not for playing games hence this thread asking for what upgrades I needed to play the game.

3. Yeah, you told me what was wrong, but after you absolutely trolled all over this thread.

4. Yes, you are. You said console gamers are lazy, and implied that we were dumb in your last post...

Also, the only reason I haven't played a PC game in 6 years, is because I didn't want to, because I had all the games I needed on the console, it's just when I found out that Civ 5 was coming out only on the PC, that I wanted to use my laptop to play it. Also, when I say ages I do mean about a year ago, just to clarify.

And when I apparently said "fuck it, lets get reach" You obviously haven't taken into account that reach is also a good game like Civ, and I would rather get a £40 game for a console that will run reach perfectly, than spend £20 on Civ 5, then another load of money which I don't have on buying another computer to run it. Now to me, right now, Halo: Reach seems like the better option to me.
1. As RhombusHatesYou put it so nicely there isn't much more I can say other then "One of these things in not like the others."

2. Yet not once in the OP did you ask about upgrades or parts or good laptops, or lolly pops or candy.

3. Ok so I told you whats wrong yet none of it's valid because I "trolled all over this thread" please please point to where my trolling took place? I haven't done anything wrong have I? All I did was answer your questions and point out some mistakes in your logic, so does that mean I'm a troll because I am coherent and observant?

4. Hey I was just drawing logical conclusions from the evidence you gave me, and who said anything about console gamers being dumb? "lacking patience" doesn't even come close to meaning dumb, and it is still a stretch to get lazy from "lacking patience".

"because I didn't want too" "when I say ages I do mean about a year ago" Umm... So? Neither of those comments change any of the points I (and many others) have made.
really go rage at some of them, I'm not saying anything that unique or anything, I'm not the only one that shares these opinions, I find it funny how much my comments seem to have offended you, yet you don't care that 20 other people all have said similar things)

"...that reach is also a good game like Civ" really? Halo is like Civ? This is news to me, wait even more breaking news, "good" is no longer subjective.

I don't like strategy games and I'm not a fan of the halo games. I couldn't care less what game you buy, or what games you like, but if you are going to write off a whole platform for such ridiculous reasons I will make sure you hear about it.
It was just the way you posted the comments at first which were demeaning to all console gamers, and then carried on to do that. And obviously the comments were more offensive to you, otherwise you wouldn't have started this completely pointless argument. Especially since I didn't even ask for an argument. And no, I didn't say that Halo is like Civ, I said that Halo and Civ were both good games, so I don't know where you got that idea from. I also didn't say that any of your points were invalid, so where that thought comes from also confuses me.

And at NO point did I write off a whole platform, just another thing that you were making up in your comments... I was asking for things that I might have done wrong when trying to run Civ, so I guess that does include not having the right specs for my laptop.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Congratz with that POS.

The cost you pay extra for same spec is what you DON'T get in a console and what you must pay for later (some crap-points to use the damn thing or higher game pricing).

What I've learned is that spending most bucks on the thing ensures I don't throw it out next day and keep it useful until it really explodes or... melts... or something.

A console will only ensure you spend more on related products. Because it's how they get price down. Because it makes sense.

I just wish we could play games on LAN with friends WITHOUT buying extra copies for all PC games. At least one friend. One lobby limitation. Come on. He's never buying it anyway.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
HotFezz8 said:
CJackson95 said:
Console gaming to me, is superior to PC gaming. For discussion value, Consoles Vs. PC? Have you ever been disappointed with a game because of the same reason? And what do YOU think of Civ 5 or Halo: Reach, good or bad?
i get annoyed when a game is restricted to a console i don't own, but OT consoles are better for shooters and racers, pcs for strategy.

that said why get Civ 5 other than nostalgia factor? surely the Total War games do that better, and have actual battles you can control, i would have thought civ games are things of the past...
yeah, I can live with the civ console game, and I am glad that I got reach. Consoles are better for the types of games that I like.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
CJackson95 said:
yeah, it may be a spin off, but it is still part of Civilization and is made by Firaxis games, it may be a bit simpler, but it's still fun to play, I still would have preferred to get Civ 5 though.
Like I said, it's part of the franchise but not part of the core Civ series... That puts it on the same footing as Colonization and Civilization IV: Colonization (remake with such faithfulness it even has the same brutally unbalanced endgame phase).
Yeah I agree, you can sort of tell that it is supposed to be, sort of a little taster game for people on the consoles I guess, even though it still has the qualities of a full game, when I played the Civ 5 demo it did seem a bit more detailed.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
CJackson95 said:
It was just the way you posted the comments at first which were demeaning to all console gamers, and then carried on to do that. And obviously the comments were more offensive to you, otherwise you wouldn't have started this completely pointless argument. Especially since I didn't even ask for an argument. And no, I didn't say that Halo is like Civ, I said that Halo and Civ were both good games, so I don't know where you got that idea from. I also didn't say that any of your points were invalid, so where that thought comes from also confuses me.

And at NO point did I write off a whole platform, just another thing that you were making up in your comments... I was asking for things that I might have done wrong when trying to run Civ, so I guess that does include not having the right specs for my laptop.
How is what I said any worse then when 6 posts down someone suggested you should get on the Special bus? Or the bottom post on the first page, I'm a troll but they are not? Your logic is a bit jumbled.

CJackson95 said:
reach is also a good game like Civ
Right there you said Reach was like Civ.. So.. um YES you did say reach was like Civ, maybe you should punctuate it correctly.

and right about here is where you basically write of a whole platform

CJackson95 said:
If I have to spend above £500, then I might as well get a console and still be able to play great games.
You imply that you will never play PC again because your stingy or something. You are under the misconception that is most common about PC gaming, which is the price. Which is wrong for a great number of reasons.

Oh no no no I wasn't offended I was trying to explain why you're logic for abandoning PC gaming was so incredibly flawed and filled with some of the poorest excuses for consoles > PCs.

Like i've said before I couldn't give a shit which platform you choose, but if you feel the rest of the internet needs to here your reasons for it, make sure your reasons make sense and aren't just a list of unfounded bull crap.

Pointless? You may find it pointless, but I have many "points" as to be talking about such things.

Again you say you didn't ask for an argument, but right there in your OP there is a great big "lets have an argument" sign.

CJackson95 said:
Console gaming to me, is superior to PC gaming. For discussion value, Consoles Vs. PC?
You asked the question, don't get upset when people respond, really? I don't think this is your first week on the internet or playing games, any half wit thats been on the internet for that long knows thats the kind of statement screaming for trouble, stop saying you didn't ask for this. I mean look at it, you even put it in bold for crying out loud.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
TheComedown said:
CJackson95 said:

How is what I said any worse then when 6 posts down someone suggested you should get on the Special bus? Or the bottom post on the first page, I'm a troll but they are not? Your logic is a bit jumbled.

CJackson95 said:
Right there you said Reach was like Civ.. So.. um YES you did say reach was like Civ, maybe you should punctuate it correctly.

CJackson95 said:
If I have to spend above £500, then I might as well get a console and still be able to play great games.
You imply that you will never play PC again because your stingy or something. You are under the misconception that is most common about PC gaming, which is the price. Which is wrong for a great number of reasons.

Oh no no no I wasn't offended I was trying to explain why you're logic for abandoning PC gaming was so incredibly flawed and filled with some of the poorest excuses for consoles > PCs.

Like i've said before I couldn't give a shit which platform you choose, but if you feel the rest of the internet needs to here your reasons for it, make sure your reasons make sense and aren't just a list of unfounded bull crap.

Pointless? You may find it pointless, but I have many "points" as to be talking about such things.

Again you say you didn't ask for an argument, but right there in your OP there is a great big "lets have an argument" sign.

CJackson95 said:
Console gaming to me, is superior to PC gaming. For discussion value, Consoles Vs. PC?
You asked the question, don't get upset when people respond, really? I don't think this is your first week on the internet or playing games, any half wit thats been on the internet for that long knows thats the kind of statement screaming for trouble, stop saying you didn't ask for this. I mean look at it, you even put it in bold for crying out loud.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Actually, I just looked up the specs of the op's computer, and I'm surprised he's having this much trouble running the game. My laptop is only one hardware generation ahead, having an HD4200 and a 2.4 ghz processor, rather than a 3200 and a 2.0 ghz model, and it runs the demo just fine. The 3200 and the 4200 are very similar in performance, and according to the website he linked, his laptop manufacturer included a full 256 megabytes of video ram for his card, while mine only has 128 before tapping in to the shared memory. Something tells me he's either being CPU limited here, or the DX9 mode isn't as well optimized as the DX10 version. @OP: Have you tried lowering the resolution? Something like 1024X600 might get you better results than native res.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
CJackson95 said:
TheComedown said:
CJackson95 said:

CJackson95 said:

CJackson95 said:

CJackson95 said:
Why don't you show me how I should have punctuated it then? but I think that you would be the only one who would have perceived that I was saying that the two games were alike because anyone who has seen both the games would obviously know that they aren't similar to each other. I wouldn't be stingy, but I am just not willing to pay lots of money for one game, which I can already essentially play on my PS3. I think that both console games and PC games are great to play, and if I was planning to buy lots of other PC games, then yes, I would consider getting a good gaming computer, if I had the money in the first place.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
CJackson95 said:
TL;DR?? Last paragraph.

Right, now that's out of the way. First things first, this is my laptop: http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5535_Laptop_LX.AUA0X.051/version.asp

Now when I found out about Civ 5 I was truly excited, and I had never had a Civ PC game before, so this is a first for me. Now I was 100% sure that my laptop would be able to run Civ 5 with no problems. But no...

When I loaded up the demo and set all the settings to low and medium, all I experienced is lots of lag in the cutscenes and gameplay, and slow reactions. This has ultimately put me off from buying the game, and instead, I am getting Halo: Reach for the xbox.

Now my laptop cost around £400, and my xbox cost around £300 when I first bought it. So if I want to play games, this is why I will always prefer consoles, because if I have to spend above £500, then I might as well get a console and still be able to play great games. This is why I believe that console gaming is ultimately better (and cheaper).

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, so all comments are welcome (quote me if it is something important I may need to know).

Console gaming to me, is superior to PC gaming. For discussion value, Consoles Vs. PC? Have you ever been disappointed with a game because of the same reason? And what do YOU think of Civ 5 or Halo: Reach, good or bad?
if you buy a LAPTOP FOR GAMING you might as well hop on the special bus the geek squad rides around in. using a laptop is like putting CDs in the microwave, it doesn't make sense. also console gaming is dying dude not to mention the higher cost of console gaming. PC gaming is far cheaper.
Have you ever even played on a good laptop? I know it's pointless to ask this because the answer is obvious, I don't have any issue with current gen games on high detail.

OT: You're not missing much by not playing civ 5, the graphics are dated even on max which really confuses me with the system reqs. The only civ game i've played was civ 4, which was fun for a bit but not my kind of game. Civ 5 is extremely boring, maybe it's one of those games I have to play for hours before I get to the fun parts? I'll try again later on, but so far it's awful.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
yundex said:
Ultratwinkie said:
CJackson95 said:
TL;DR?? Last paragraph.

Right, now that's out of the way. First things first, this is my laptop: http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5535_Laptop_LX.AUA0X.051/version.asp

Now when I found out about Civ 5 I was truly excited, and I had never had a Civ PC game before, so this is a first for me. Now I was 100% sure that my laptop would be able to run Civ 5 with no problems. But no...

When I loaded up the demo and set all the settings to low and medium, all I experienced is lots of lag in the cutscenes and gameplay, and slow reactions. This has ultimately put me off from buying the game, and instead, I am getting Halo: Reach for the xbox.

Now my laptop cost around £400, and my xbox cost around £300 when I first bought it. So if I want to play games, this is why I will always prefer consoles, because if I have to spend above £500, then I might as well get a console and still be able to play great games. This is why I believe that console gaming is ultimately better (and cheaper).

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, so all comments are welcome (quote me if it is something important I may need to know).

if you buy a LAPTOP FOR GAMING you might as well hop on the special bus the geek squad rides around in. using a laptop is like putting CDs in the microwave, it doesn't make sense. also console gaming is dying dude not to mention the higher cost of console gaming. PC gaming is far cheaper.
Have you ever even played on a good laptop? I know it's pointless to ask this because the answer is obvious, I don't have any issue with current gen games on high detail.

OT: You're not missing much by not playing civ 5, the graphics are dated even on max which really confuses me with the system reqs. The only civ game i've played was civ 4, which was fun for a bit but not my kind of game. Civ 5 is extremely boring, maybe it's one of those games I have to play for hours before I get to the fun parts? I'll try again later on, but so far it's awful.
"good" laptop? laptops are just internet surfers with sparks coming out. gaming laptops don't exist.
You're free to live under whatever rock you choose, as far as price goes, it's a rock worth living under.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Yosharian said:
CJackson95 said:
Console gaming to me, is superior to PC gaming. For discussion value, Consoles Vs. PC? Have you ever been disappointed with a game because of the same reason?
Either trolling or retarded. Not only has Consoles vs PC been done to death infinity times before, but it's a completely stupid thing to debate. A PC can do a hundred things that a console can't.
umm, none actually.

Ah, I see you strongly dislike consoles, whatever, just a shame you had too put all that unnecessary crap before you got to the point.

The main point of the thread wasn't actually to troll, sorry if that offended you, I didn't mean for that.

Sanies

Nov 28, 2009
A lot of gaming laptop bashing going on here. I've been gaming on a laptop since around november 2005. It's basically a compal HEL80 with a nvidiga go7600gt and 3gigs of ram and so far I've been able to play most stuff that I'm intersted in, luckily I'm not into FPS games :p.

Back it 2005 I got it brand new for about £600 and It's served me well so far.

Civ 5 runs smoothly on medium-low settings, I can raid 25man stuff in wow at 1650x1080 at medium graphics settings at about 20-25 fps, sure it could be better but around 20 fps is pretty smooth. Hell even Bioshock 1-2 and Arkham Asylum run well on it, although at fairly low graphics settings.

As for the "it weighs a ton" comments that are probably incoming, it's only 2,9kg(I think).

Gaming laptops are there, you just need to work on them a bit. Customised graphics drivers help A LOT.

Yeah, pc's get you a lot more for your money but if you move around a lot and want to game, there are not so expensive options out there.

phenity

Jun 23, 2010
If you want to say console gaming is cheaper then consider this.

A GAMING PC can run ALL PC games available, and they can cost, at the lowest end of the spectrum, about $700 (which includes the Operating System, Monitor, and Mouse and Keyboard) to build a fairly high end one that will run just about every modern game (not necessarily on high). A rig like mine can and will last around 5-10 years running just about any game on maximum above 30fps and mostly at 60+fps (it cost $1500, but I'm more of a hardcore PC gamer).

If you want to play ALL Console games you need to own every console. It costs around $400 for the PS3 (2 controllers and an HDMI cable and a game), $400 for an Xbox 360 (2 controllers and an HDMI cable and game) and about $320 for a Wii (same as the last two times). Then you need your TV, which I'll just reference mine, a 32-inch for around 350 dollars. Your grand total comes to $1470. Last I checked $700 < $1470.

DeathsHands

Mar 22, 2010
Comparing consoles to PCs always ends badly, and it's redundant as hell.

People, this has been done to death and beyond!

Jun 3, 2009
I think consoles are just dandy, but when it came down to it, I needed a computer for school. And with that cost, I couldn't afford to buy a TV and a console.
I searched and searched and searched until I found a great deal on a computer that could play up-to-the-minute games at a decent setting. I paid $800 2 years ago for the computer, monitor, speakers, printer, etc. I'm still playing newly released games (including CIV 5) on it.

There is no way I could do a gaming laptop for even twice that cost. When I do finally break down and buy a laptop for my design project next year (Don't your universities have computer labs with the specialty software you need already pre-loaded on them?) I'm going to buy one of those $300 tiny things to cart around with me everywhere. Honestly, though I could probably do fairly well with just a bigger USB key because most design meetings take place in our lab anyhow.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
You're problem is the laptop. Gaming laptops suck cause, IMO, they aren't as easy to customize. So you buy a new one, and it becomes obsolete in a year at most.

Get a desktop, and stop complaining.