Civilization: Beyond Earth - Where Will You Take Humanity?

Matthew Cory

Jul 22, 2014
I think the Alpha Centauri title is a moot point because Firaxis doesn't own the rights. While the spirit of AC can live on through Beyond Earth, the devs can take it in a new fresh direction. I am absolutely stoked to play at launch no matter the cost (Well $50.. maybe $60).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/firaxis-revisits-alpha-centauri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth

DSK-

May 13, 2010
The new game from Firaxis Studios will cease depending on history ? Civilization: Beyond Earth will go into space.
The new game will cease?

Can someone explain this sentence to me please?

SoManyCrimes

Mar 22, 2013
DSK- said:
The new game from Firaxis Studios will cease depending on history ? Civilization: Beyond Earth will go into space.
The new game will cease?

That is pretty loosely written. The subject and the verb don't really agree. He means something like: "With their new game, Firaxis Studios will cease depending on history - Civilization: Beyond Earth will go into space." (Although that's still a bit convoluted for my tastes.)

There seems to be a generally rushed feeling to most Escapist articles recently - even the short ones will have half a dozen typos and punctuation errors. I'm biased because I'm an editor, but I find it very distracting.

EDIT: Sorry, that may not have answered your question if you're reading "will cease depending on history" as "will cease, depending on history".

Hopefully this is clearer: "Firaxis Studios are no longer depending on history. Their new game, Civilization: Beyond Earth, is going into space."

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Hey I'm not saying it's not a bad idea to be skeptical. I tried to cover as much as I could in this preview, but I need a lot more time with the factions and the characters to give you an opinion on that. The specific things you mention are there though. There's lots of narrative and visual design that went into the faction leaders.

One thing I can tell you, the evocative audio descriptions of future technologies are still present, and the techs are all different from AC.
Well that at least sounds a bit reasuring... thanks for the responce

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Was it your intention to channel Sister Miriam in this post?
Didn't use nearly enough kindeling for that;) besides Morganson, the Tech guy and the Spartans were almost always my picks of choice...

dunam said:
The real question we should be asking... will they bring back the most loved feature of the high council from civilization 2?
Darnit I can't beleive I'd forotten about that... now I've got a smile stuck on my face that will probably stick around all day...their bickering was fun and also probably the first digital capture of real people I'd ever seen on my computer. That takes me back:)

DSK-

May 13, 2010
SoManyCrimes said:
DSK- said:
The new game will cease?

That is pretty loosely written. The subject and the verb don't really agree. He means something like: "With their new game, Firaxis Studios will cease depending on history - Civilization: Beyond Earth will go into space." (Although that's still a bit convoluted for my tastes.)

There seems to be a generally rushed feeling to most Escapist articles recently - even the short ones will have half a dozen typos and punctuation errors. I'm biased because I'm an editor, but I find it very distracting.

EDIT: Sorry, that may not have answered your question if you're reading "will cease depending on history" as "will cease, depending on history".

Hopefully this is clearer: "Firaxis Studios are no longer depending on history. Their new game, Civilization: Beyond Earth, is going into space."
Thankies! That's what I thought, something along the lines of "Firaxis Studios' new game will cease to follow conventional human history. Their new game, Civilization: Beyond Earth, is going into SPAAAAAAACCCCCEEEE!"

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think that was a bit of a puzzle.