Civilization: Beyond Earth

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Am I the only one that read "Nuclear Launch Detected" in the Adjutant's voice?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
If it's a nuclear launch, why is there a biohazard symbol?

For all he's gained in metal, he's lost a lot in charisma. Or maybe it's just that he's missing eyebrows.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Furbyz said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Furbyz said:
Ghandi, you magnificent bastard! Get that man some roboconcubines. He'll need quite a few.
No, he'll need...several
A mere human Gandhi's appetites could be sated by a trifling 5-7 concubines. This is Robogandhi we're talking about, whose lusts are as unquenchable as the star he throws the broken bodies of his feeble organic enemies into.

There is simply no limit.
Like Bender, he can get freaky and nasty at maximum efficiency.

OT: I'd like to see RoboGhandi try to twirl that 'stash.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
"There are no reasons that I would kill for, but there are many I would die for... since my consciousness is saved on this robot and I can be resurrected at will." -RoboGandhi 2535

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Curse you Ghandhi. It doesn't matter what way I try to win the game, you've caused me to almost always direct my army towards you. I could lose the game and still be happy so long as I wiped you off the map.

Exhaustion Magnet

Sep 24, 2014
BigTuk said:
It was a bug the patched out in the early civ games...I don't think it's actually been a thing since Civ 3.....

See it worked like this.. an integer in the code would store the nature of the leader and this would change over time. Positive becoming more peacful, negative becoming more warlike... There was a point though and as every programmer knows where a signed numerical variable when incremented or decremented beyond a point wil;l lopp around to the other end of the spectrum. Basically if you say used a char (value of 256 range of -127 to +128 when signed) If You added 1 to it when it was alread at +128 it would loop around to -127.

In so doing there could be a point where he would suddenly go from being Super Pacifist and PEaceful to BRING ME THE BLOOD OF THEIR CHILDREN! MY FOUNTAINS MUST RUN RED.

This isn't the first time an unintended number swap caused something like that. Megaman 2 had a famous example with MEtal Man. His actual vulnerability was supposed to be quick boomerang and he was supposed to be invulnerable to metal blades... but due to a loop around.. the multiplier for metal blades went from 0to 255.
Civ V, at the very least, has AI personality settings from 1-10 in various factors. Ghandi has a 12 in likelihood to use nukes, so the moment he researches nukes, he will work to build them, and he will use them when war starts.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
BigTuk said:
It was a bug the patched out in the early civ games...I don't think it's actually been a thing since Civ 3.....
Civ 4, and 5 had it as-well

Most of the time its around the production and willingness to use nukes, while having one of the best economies in the game.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
BigTuk said:
Well it being a bug hasn't existed since then. The devs got such a giggle of Ghandi being such an asshole that he's intentionally coded that way now.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Beyond Earth feels depressingly unfinished.

On the other hand, hey, it made me discover Endless Legend, and it's one thousand times better.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I'm not exactly sure what is worse- bio-Gandhi or robo-Gandhi
On the one hand robo-Gandhi lacks petty human emotions and is purely logical
On the other hand his strategic capabilities are increased tenfold

BigTuk said:
See it worked like this.. an integer in the code would store the nature of the leader and this would change over time. Positive becoming more peacful, negative becoming more warlike... There was a point though and as every programmer knows where a signed numerical variable when incremented or decremented beyond a point wil;l lopp around to the other end of the spectrum. Basically if you say used a char (value of 256 range of -127 to +128 when signed) If You added 1 to it when it was already at +128 it would loop around to -127.

In so doing there could be a point where he would suddenly go from being Super Pacifist and PEaceful to BRING ME THE BLOOD OF THEIR CHILDREN! MY FOUNTAINS MUST RUN RED.
Funny fact- this is exactly what happened to Ilwrath from StarCon

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
To nitpick...the symbol you've used is a "Biohazard" warning not "Nuclear". I see both every day in work. >_>

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Wait no. I got it. Ghandi will need an ocean full of blood, an ocean so large it will be a planet. He will need a BLOOD OCEAN.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
The real question is whether or not this game has Space-Montezuma backstabbing the fuck out of you every chance he gets.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Ahh, I see. Okay, I wasn't aware of that Civ 5 glitch myself until reading some of the comments here. Heh, if I hadn't, I was about to say this comic just had a brain fart.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
I'm pretty sure the Kavithan Protectorate is the new Gandhi or at least she should be

Groverfield said:
Wait no. I got it. Ghandi will need an ocean full of blood, an ocean so large it will be a planet. He will need a BLOOD OCEAN.
nice Dethklok ref

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Lightspeaker said:
To nitpick...the symbol you've used is a "Biohazard" warning not "Nuclear". I see both every day in work. >_>
You've heard of "dirty nukes"? Maybe these were "filthy nukes".

[small]...yeah, that was the best I could come up with. I know, I know. I'll get my coat.[/small]

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
This strip reminded me of this funny Let's Play from Unit Lost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByLOBSUqTU