Classic games you just can't stand.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Pretty self explanatory. For me, it'd have to be anything Mario. He's all over the damn place, there's no escaping the fat little prick. Everywhere you turn on the internet there's shitty fan art, terrible web comics, soundtrack remixes and God knows what else. He's over saturated to the point of nausea, and I'm sick of seeing his fat ass everywhere. So, what is it for you? Why?

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
Pretty self explanatory. For me, it'd have to be anything Mario. He's all over the damn place, there's no escaping the fat little prick. Everywhere you turn on the internet there's shitty fan art, terrible web comics, soundtrack remixes and God knows what else. He's over saturated to the point of nausea, and I'm sick of seeing his fat ass everywhere. So, what is it for you? Why?
I'll agree, all the fan stuff is despicable. . . but I'm guessing you've never played a mario game? Try Galaxy, you will love it.

Wrath 228

Aug 26, 2010
Really, any Nintendo franchise. I have the utmost respect for the accomplishments and hard work that goes into making characters that last decades and still produce fun, great-selling games. But I don't particularly enjoy the games too much, and I get really sick of seeing them everywhere.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
HassEsser said:
sir.rutthed said:
I'll agree, all the fan stuff is despicable. . . but I'm guessing you've never played a mario game? Try Galaxy, you will love it.
Actually, I have played several. Grew up on Super Mario World and SSB. It was never my favorite game, but it was decent before I discovered all the fancrap on the web. I've been tempted to try Galaxy, but can't justify spending the cash on it when my Wii is at my folks' place 2 hours away and it's never played unless I'm there.

Apr 28, 2008
Ocarina of Time.

Probably because I didn't play it in my childhood, and played it two years ago without any sort of nostalgia, but still, for one of the most well regarded games of all damn time, topping many "best games EVER" lists, that thing sucked. I'm sure it was great for it's time, but holy crap, it's bad.

And besides, Majora's Mask is wholly superior to it. Played it three years ago and I loved it. Still love it. Shame not many played it.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
Actually, I have played several. Grew up on Super Mario World and SSB. It was never my favorite game, but it was decent before I discovered all the fancrap on the web. I've been tempted to try Galaxy, but can't justify spending the cash on it when my Wii is at my folks' place 2 hours away and it's never played unless I'm there.
Oh, man, that's too bad then :/ I guess you're not exactly missing out though; but they are really fun and cool if you ever actually get around to playing them.

Detheroth

Oct 23, 2010
For me it would be the first Prince of Persia (only saying the first because I didn't play any of the others), for some reason that is unknown to me I just could not stand that game, I did not like the story and I could not stand the fighting. It felt clunky and slow. The platforming side of it was decent. I know this is close to blasphemy, but I just did not like playing that game.

HapexIndustries

Mar 8, 2011
Get the hell out of here, Mario games may be overexposed and ubiquitous but they're almost all quality examples of their genre. Don't let awful fan art color your impression of the actual games.

That said, the classic game I hate is Myst and all its sequels.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I don't know if the first Halo is still considered a "classic game", but now with the remake coming up I can't help but get annoyed with everyone treating the first one like it was the second coming of Christ or something. It was OK. Solid. Fun (except for the Library). The only reason it was so popular was because it proved you could actually have a good console shooter. It wasn't really THAT revolutionary.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
HapexIndustries said:
Get the hell out of here, Mario games may be overexposed and ubiquitous but they're almost all quality examples of their genre. Don't let awful fan art color your impression of the actual games.
I feel the same as you dude, but just let it go. It's not worth the effort.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Irridium said:
Ocarina of Time.

Probably because I didn't play it in my childhood, and played it two years ago without any sort of nostalgia, but still, for one of the most well regarded games of all damn time, topping many "best games EVER" lists, that thing sucked. I'm sure it was great for it's time, but holy crap, it's bad.

And besides, Majora's Mask is wholly superior to it. Played it three years ago and I loved it. Still love it. Shame not many played it.
Why exactly is it bad , you really have to take the era of its creation into consideration , thats what make classics classics , even if they age poorly. As long as you dont say because of the graphics i can respect your opinion.

OT: starcraft , warcraft and metal gear . Just no.

Apr 28, 2008
krazykidd said:
Irridium said:
Ocarina of Time.

Why exactly is it bad , you really have to take the era of its creation into consideration , thats what make classics classics , even if they age poorly. As long as you dont say because of the graphics i can respect your opinion.
Trust me, I am many things, but a graphics whore I am not.

Ocarina is just... boring to me. The gameplay gets boring quickly, the story doesn't interest me in the slightest, and the characters just annoy the hell out of me. Yes, I'm sure it was absolutely amazing for it's time, but that time is gone. Now... it's just boring and uninteresting.

Yes it's a classic, but a truly great classic can stand the test of time. Ocarina of Time does not stand up to the passage of time.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Ocarina of Time. All the graphics, textures, and scenery were inconsistent and distracting for me. Nothing seemed rock solid and I could never focus.

And it wasn't as fluid as Link's Awakening for the Game Boy.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Its not that I can't stand them, its just I never cared for them. The Zelda series. All of it. Just never really enjoyed playing the games.

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Prolly get a bit of hate for this, but POKEMON. It wasn't really part of my childhood, and as thus I feel no nostalgia for the series. I finally got around to playing some of the games a while back, and god was it ever rubbish. Not to mention all the disgust some of my peers displayed at my negative reaction to the game. It's a game, so what? The story and gameplay just wasn't there for me. Also RANDOMIZED ENEMY ATTACKS?! One of the many things on my gaming shit-list. /Inb4 'user was banned for this post'.