Cliches and Tropes In Movies That Really Annoy You

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Auron225 said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Personally I'd say one of the most annoying is when a character goes to a restaurant/cafe, orders a full plate of food and then due to the plot calling them they walk out without eating it and sometimes without even paying. I know it's really small but if you put the effort into making a plate of food for the actors to use at least show them eating it or just have the plot call them after they've finished.
I just thought of a reason why this happens so often. I mean, it's still annoying but maybe also understandable now.

If each scene takes several shots to get right, then the cast don't want to have to keep eating a never-ending omelette or an infinite amount of chips. I hear of actors/actresses being turned off particular kinds of food for life after an unearthly amount of takes to shoot adverts & such. It's still unrealistic though that they'd order food and not eat it.

This of course doesn't excuse the never paying for anything though. I've also seen that far too often.
Yeah if you listen to the cast commentaries for Game of Thrones you can hear Lena Headey, who plays Cersei Lannister, complain how she has to keep drinking wine in the Blackwater Battle episode. It's actually grape juice rather than wine but apparently it tasted awful and she had to keep going to the loo, so in those circumstances you can understand why actors get frustrated.

Zhukov said:
Just Fucking Shoot Them
Seen this loads of times and it applies to book and especially fan fiction. I mean if the bad guy was properly ruthless and just killed the hero straight away there wouldn't be a story. So I guess that's why it happens, they could at least disguise it better though and have someone else intervene/distract the baddie as he's about to take the shot though, or have him narrowly miss/graze etc.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Auron225 said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Personally I'd say one of the most annoying is when a character goes to a restaurant/cafe, orders a full plate of food and then due to the plot calling them they walk out without eating it and sometimes without even paying. I know it's really small but if you put the effort into making a plate of food for the actors to use at least show them eating it or just have the plot call them after they've finished.
I just thought of a reason why this happens so often. I mean, it's still annoying but maybe also understandable now.

If each scene takes several shots to get right, then the cast don't want to have to keep eating a never-ending omelette or an infinite amount of chips. I hear of actors/actresses being turned off particular kinds of food for life after an unearthly amount of takes to shoot adverts & such. It's still unrealistic though that they'd order food and not eat it.

This of course doesn't excuse the never paying for anything though. I've also seen that far too often.
That actually can come up with a lot of different stuff. Back in the days when smoking was normal and casual, the length of a cigarette scene to scene could cause problems, and if you look closely it's pretty easy to catch even when the director was putting effort into concealing the fact that the cigarette was burning take to take.

The easiest way to get around that in particular was to have the actor light up at the start of a scene, or a set cue within it, and put the cigarette out at the end. That's why in some older movies you'll see a character light a cigarette, take two or three puffs and then put it out just before the scene ends - even if they are throwing away a basically unused smoke. That way the next scene doesn't have to worry about the cigarette from the last.

OT: My most disliked trope would probably have to be the smart guy. Even if you're an absolute genius, there is simply not enough hours in a day for you to have five PhD's and be able to speak twenty languages by 22. And though some unbelievably gifted people exist, this tends to be in an extremely narrow field or can be accompanied with severe drawbacks in other areas.

I think it kind of cheapens the amount of work that goes into finding solutions day to day when a guy on the TV substitutes what in the real world would take days if not weeks of research and work with "oh yes, the PhD I got when I was 12 covered that topic. We need to do this."

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Really smart person makes completely stupid decisions. as an example see Jim Sturgess's character in 21. He is an MIT student, with a chance to get into Harvard, but the only worse place he could have picked to hide all that money he was making would be if he just left it in the middle of the floor.

This is a common one in action cartoons/anime. Brilliant evil villain has heroes caught in his deadly trap, and goes running off, assuming it will work. Villain runs off somewhere, heroes escape, and defeat him/her. Why not stick around to make sure it's a done deal and they don't escape? Or better yet finish them off yourself.

I have even seen this one parodied:
Heroes: "wait aren't you going to run off and just leave us here to be destroyed by your devious trap?"
Villain: Why would I do that? You'll just escape
Heroes: but if you don't you're not being a very good villain. that is what every villain is supposed to do
Villain: This is why villains don't win.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
I heard somewhere that a blow to the head that causes unconsciousness for more than a couple of minutes will most likely trigger massive brain damage. Since hearing that, I get distracted every time the hero gets punched by the bad guys and the screen cuts to black. Similar points for anything involving "knockout gas". No such thing, at least not one that is reliably harmless.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
When a female character is portrayed as competent and skilled during the first two acts of the movie but during the final act becomes a damsel in distress. It's basically saying that no matter how competent a woman is, she still is incapable without a man when things get serious.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
JoJo said:
Shoehorned romance. Don't get me wrong, I really dig a good romance that adds something to the plot, but it some movies in just seems like the male and female leads have to get together at a suspiciously inconvenient point in the plot because...?
Yes yes YES! Forced romance is so annoying.

"Yay we defeated the space slugs! We should totally make out as the slugs are blowing up in the distance!"

Or the common trope of the male and female leads disliking each other, but something happens and they are automatically attracted to each other.

Sometimes it can be handled well, but it's usually so unnecessary and feels lazy.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I'm by no means a computer expert, but I'm getting tired of big flashy animations whenever some some hacker is breaking into the FBI database or whatever. Somehow I doubt that getting past net security systems looks like a game of tetrisphere.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Romance that gets put in for no reason. Like, say... every Hollywood movie with a submissive damsel in distress and a totesterone fueled asshole as the two main characters.

Sometimes, this works in reverse. Like Ponyo. If the movie was about the friendship of two young children as they find out about each other's world, that would have been fine, great, even. Instead, they minimalised the romantic (well... they're five) b plot and instead added a bunch of end-of-the-world bullshit that wasn't neccesary. Also, have you noticed that, at the end, Ponyo would have fallen to her death? What a sad ending. So Ghibli did make a sad movie. Huh.

I also hate the "no matter how fast you are you die anyway" trope in horror movies. And the creepy little autistic children. And I also dislike tsunderes to a certain extent. Mostly type As. BAKA BAKA AHOKA! AHO DESU KA?! BAKAKAKA (90% of their dialougue. The rest is SUKI SUKI SUKI SUKI SUKI SUKI).

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Redshirt army.

No, your ragtag bunch of rebles did not just slaughter an entire platoon of highly trained marines. No, the swat team escourting VIP X should not be taken out by a pair of terrorists armed with uzis. No, No, No, No! There is no such thing as 'Oh, they could do it because they were just that good'. NO ONE is that good. AGH!

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
If the hero manages to get hold of a motorcycle, and the plot demands an epic chase, anything can catch the bike.....anything. Even a G-Wizz!

Doesn't anyone in Hollywood understand just how fucking fast a bike is??

Also, something I need to get off my chest....

Ahem...

STOP WITH THE WILHELM SCREAM BULLSHIT!

It's not a witty in-joke. It's not smart, and it's not funny. We know about it, and it's a total immersion-breaker. Seriously, just fucking stop it.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Gunna break a bit from the topic and go for something that annoys me in games instead of movies - Cutscene Incompetence. I loathe getting my ass handed to me by a villain who I just beat 7 bales of shit out of. Happened in Wolverine, happened in SR4 twice. Hate it hate it hate it :).

The Great Fungus

Dec 9, 2013
The Idiot Ball/Plot

It's almost impossible for me to take a story seriously if it relies on these tropes. One offender that comes to mind is Mass Effect. The series couldn't exist in its current form if the Reapers didn't carry Idiot Balls the size of VY Canis Majoris with them.

Mr. Exposition, Narrating the Obvious, and Captain Obvious

These are some of the main reasons why I've stopped watching anime. Anime in general is too tropey for me to enjoy.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
shephardjhon said:
I have already mentioned it before.
Love triangles, they ruin everything. And it is always always two guys and one girl and sometimes worse like Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't bear to watch the Dark Knight and Legend of Korra because of it. I almost stopped watching Arrow.
Also villains are almost exclusively male most of the time and if there are female villains they have to look and behave a certain way and/or probably have to have a sympathetic back-story. e.g. Harly Quinn, Catwoman, Talia al Ghoul.
Oh hell yeah I can agree to that. Love traingles are such a lazy way of forcing drama. It writes itself so easily that its just boring now. Not only that but shoe-horned romance in general (which has also featured here I see) frequently manages to make itself more important than whatever else is going on. "Why should I care about the big evil destroying the world when I don't even know if X is going to get with Y or Z!?"

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Oh boy, I wrote something about this at unnecessary length a little while ago, right after I saw Riddick. I'll copy paste it for anyone who's interested.

I love action-y sci-fi movies (and games, for that matter. A lot of this applies to them too) so that's the genre this list is focused on. That said, plenty of these points can be applied to other genres and media too.

Finally, standard internet disclaimer: yes, I'm aware there are exceptions to all of these. Yes, there are problems with how men are depicted in the media too. No, I'm not some joyless harpy or prude who's opposed to all sexiness/nudity or even objectification in all contexts.

So, here goes:

1. When an otherwise badass, capable female character is suddenly and uncharacteristically overwhelmed and needs to be rescued by the male protagonist. Now obviously there are cases where this is appropriate: she's legitimately injured, fine; she rescues him from a similar predicament at some other point in the film, ok, I'll buy it - maybe it's a way to demonstrate that they've got each other's backs. But when this sort of scene exists purely to perpetuate stereotypical gender roles - he's a big manly man of a protagonist, he must protect women because women clearly need protecting! - it seriously pisses me off. It's particularly jarring when the character in question has already proven herself perfectly capable of handling equally or more dangerous scenarios and opponents, but suddenly she's floored by one dude/alien/whatever (who, just to really emphasise the fact that she's female and therefore especially vulnerable, is probably trying to rape her). Not cool.

This is of course assuming that a woman is even included and sufficiently characterised at all:

2. All- or almost exclusively-male casts. I get it, these movies tend to be about people in stereotypically "masculine" roles (soldiers, adventurers, mercenaries, convicts... you know the drill). These fields may well be male-dominated now. But the thing is, the overwhelming majority of these stories are set in the future, and while I am aware and suportive of the fact that sci-fi can be a great vehicle for discussions of contemporary issues, that simply isn't what's going on in many of these cases. Extrapolating today's prejudices and demographics onto future settings is just lazy, especially in cases where the Token Chick (more on her later) has proved that it is possible for women to make it in these settings, and even achieve a high rank - female seconds-in-command are not particularly uncommon. Female leaders, on the other hand...

3. All-male background characters. As in number 2, would it really kill Hollywood to chuck in a few mercs/soldiers/hench(wo)men/guards/gangsters/enemies who just happen to be female? And not make a big deal out of it? Pretty please? Seriously, just have a few women there, chilling in the background with their male colleagues, even getting expendably mowed down when the time comes. That's totally ok. Anything other than the bizarre worlds we currently get where at least 95% of the population appears to be male. Seriously, do all the women get wiped out by a mysterious plague sometime around the turn of the 22nd century? Where are they all?! (Credit where it's due, I thought the Mass Effect games did a refreshingly good job of this.)

4. The Token Chick (TM). As a direct result of the general lack of women outlined in the previous two points, when a woman actually is included she far too often exists simply as "the girl." Even in films like these where characterisation can admittedly be thin on the ground, male characters, who cannot be singled out on account of their gender, will at least get to be cariacatures such as "the joker," "the naive one," "the strong leader" etc. With the Token Chick, her whole character basically boils down to "has tits and ovaries." Pro-tip, writers: gender is not a character trait. See also race and sexual orientation while we're at it.

5. The general problem of "femininity." I'm probably going to sound like I'll never be happy with this one, but what I'm really asking for is some middle-ground. At one end of the spectrum we have the butch lesbian stereotype. Now, I am well aware that butch lesbians exist, and believe me I have no problem with that. What is frustrating, however, is when this stereotype is used as an "excuse" for the character's "unfeminine" looks and/or behaviour. As in, "sure, she's a kick-ass soldier with muscles and short hair and she swears like a trooper and she's not conventionally attractive, but don't worry, dear male viewer, she's not into dudes so you don't have to want to bang her. And here's a more conventional (and conveniently straight) chick for you to enjoy. She'll probably screw the male protagonist at some point." My point is, it's way too rare for women in these settings to be "unfeminine" unless that's qualified in terms of an existing stereotype. It's for this reason that I LOVE that Vasquez isn't pigeon-holed as a butch lesbian and that it's even (*gasp*) implied that she might be romantically involved with Drake. That's right folks, turns out it might be possible for a man to appreciate an awesome, "unfeminine" woman like Vasquez. Obviously I don't want to start judging female characters on their ability to get a man (*shudder*), but it's encouraging when rare examples of non-stereotypical women being considered attractive do emerge, even if only in subtext.

The flip-side of this is when writers feel the need to lumber badass female characters with unnecessary "softer," "more feminine" sides, presumably so as not to confuse an audience that apparently can't cope without societal gender stereotypes. Motherhood/"maternal instincts" are commonly wheeled out for this purpose (looking at you, Aliens), and I just don't see why it's necessary a lot of the time. Does Vin Diesel ever need to take time out from his ass-kicking schedule to show us the deep, unshakable desire to be a daddy that proves to us that he's a "real" man? Nope, thought not. So stop doing it to female characters.

6. Inappropriate or inconsistent costumes. You knew it was coming. It's the equivalent of fantasy's much mocked but still distressingly prevalent "chainmail bikini." Far too often, female characters will be decked out in costumes that straight up don't make sense. Bared midriffs, cleavage (the chest. Where the heart lives. Just where you want a massive hole in your armour, obviously), freakin' high heels... why, exactly? None of these things make one iota of sense, particularly not if we're expected to believe that these ladies get up to any fighting on a regular basis. Why is the Token Chick the only one in a skintight bodysuit? How the hell does her hair and makeup stay so perfect throughout the movie? Scratch that, why the hell is a female marine in the middle of a warzone (for example) bothering with makeup at all?! Scratch THAT, how come this female marine, surrounded by hench manly beefcakes, is about as muscular as a coathanger? (Believe it or not, I thought Mother Russia in Kick-Ass 2 looked AWESOME). And how considerate of her enemies not to mess up her face too badly, and only leave her with a few artistically arranged and purely superficial cuts, above one eyebrow, say, or nicely highlighting a cheekbone. How is it that she's the only one whose skin actually seems to repel a quantity of the dirt and blood her male counterparts are caked in? It's almost like she exists only as decoration for the benefit of the male audience. Oh, wait...

There are others, but I'm getting tired so I'll end on one of the tackiest and most offensive tropes, one that packs the double whammy of misogyny AND homophobia, because why limit yourself to only one form of dickish behaviour? This is the one that really pissed me off about Riddick, it is (SPOILER ALERT) ...

7. The lesbian being "cured" of her penis aversion by the male protagonist. Yup. Surely I don't need to elaborate any further? It's lazy, it's crass, it's grossly offensive and it perpetuates horrible and downright damaging views of female sexuality. You can have any woman you want if you push your manliness enough! So what if she's not into dudes, all she really needs is a good fucking and you're the man to give it to her! And don't forget kids, lesbian (and bisexual) women only really exist to fulfil the fantasies of straight men! Urgh. Of all the tropes on this list, this is the one that actually makes me feel dirty for supporting the people who made the film/game/whatever and precludes me from being able to endorse it in any way, shape or form. It's a total dealbreaker, and it's disgusting that it continues to weasel its way into mainstream entertainment.

I'm sure I haven't said anything new in this note, and frankly it saddens me that these things still need to be said. However, if nothing else it's cathartic to put these frustrations into words. Here's to better things to come.

Apologies for the wall of text, but at least I had the decency to spoiler it :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Invincible car cheat code.

Protagonist gets into getaway vehicle but no matter how much of a beating the vehicle takes it will inevitably outrun or out-endure the very worst the bad guys can throw at it. (unless it's sacrificed for some "I'M FAAAAALLLLIIIIING!" scene)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Hey men! That girl you like doesn't like you back? Well, keep pestering her! She'll like you if you keep at it because every woman can be easily manipulated into a relationship and changing her feelings over night!
It's even worse when they try throw people off by making one or both characters hate each other at first.

I swear that's the reason half the guys who constantly pestered me for dates after I said I wasn't interested continued to do so. ¬_____¬

Two main characters are off opposite gender? One has a penis and one has a vagina you say? Well duh! of course they're gonna get together!

EDIT: Oh, another one concerning women.
Woman always being the uptight, boring bitches. Men always being the carefree, fun but nice guys. Women seem to get pigeon-holed a lot more into jut one personality type but I know men are stereotyped a lot too.

On a similar vein, after watching Frozen (which was predictable in parts but I still loved) Disney have done well to challenge the trope of lead women recently. They've all gone from being "pretty little objects who cook and clean and wait for their prince" to "pretty little objects who are kooky and awkward and actually do things for themselves now but still end up needing a man."

I suppose it's an improvement but a few different personality types would be nice.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Final Girl Syndrome. it is a constant in the Horror genre that I'd like to see some variation to. I'm tired of it, is all. I love horror movies, and I love some that exhibit this 'trope'. But I'd like to see more diversity in the formula- basically, I like more surprises in my horror.

The Badass Female Warrior. She never has any weakness, even though a male character in a similar role would have more development and traits or flaws. And also usually is a small pixie, skimpily or otherwise inadequately dressed or armed, but super strong, blessed with 'waif-fu' or some other physically impossible skill set. I find this stereotype to be nauseating and tiresome.