Cliches that you hate with a passion.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
GamerKT said:
I hate how every time a person is about to die, they have just enough life to say something to the protagonist and die in his/her arms. Seriously, it's been done to death.

(Do you see what I did there?)
I read this comic book where a dying girl was saying something, but she got cut off in the middle. I liked it.

RRAAKK

Aug 15, 2011
all of them. i hate when writers have no originality. cant anyone think of something new?

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Putting a kid in a dangerous situation only to have them be rescued/survive/escape at the last moment. It doens't even get a reaction out of me any more. I'm just like yep.... someones going to save them any second and oh look here they come now. You know what would be a change? If the kid actually died for once. I'd be like HOLY SHIT, they actually had the bal to kill them! Well done! - The Ending to The Mist was great for that reason, movie had balls.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Insanity72 said:
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
But Samurai quick drawing is what they did, it was pretty much how they dealt with anyone who threatened there master.

It was the most efficient way to dispatch of someone in the quickest way possible.
What's samurai quick-drawing?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
The Disney death. You know, the one where they make you think the hero has died, only to bring him back at the very end so they can jerk tears from you even though they don't have the balls for a genuine tragedy.

Yeah, I fucking hate that one.

Also, he inevitable romantic subplot.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Queen Michael said:
What's samurai quick-drawing?
Trying to end the fight with a single stroke, to kill with the same stroke as you pull your blade with. Katana's aren't dueling swords like, say, rapiers, they're meant to cut through meat like a butcher's knife. Hence why killing with the first stroke is the highest attainable goal in a katana fight.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
My annoyances:
-Male characters who have no emotion. Good thing I have no problems with killing twenty thousand people.
-Male characters who have emotions, which consists only of angst and sadness
-Hm, main char meets a girl... herpa derpa they love each other with little development between the two
-Amnesia. It's rather lazy.
-No back story- It sometimes works as it is not needed
-Single level characters that are blatant stereotypes - Token Cole Train? I want a black mathematician who got conscripted, dammit!
-Shooters with no humor or friendship-At least give the guy who lasts the entire game a fist bump with the MC
-Like everyone else,
"We can't kill him, then we're no better than they are!"
^ Solution: "Regulations be damned, he's the cause of XXX,XXX,XXX lives, he's gonna pay with my fist before he's sent to military trial." Some guys can't really care about morality-me included-- when this guy has shot the player twenty times. Revenge feels bloody good.
-Religion as a bad thing - I'm agnostic and I can recognize the blessings, conscience and morality inspired by religions -each of which are not the same monotheistic or polytheistic.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
ReinWeisserRitter said:
PunkRex said:
Almost every fucking movie has one. ALWAYS. and it is always a thinly masked and banal relationship, unless its the focus of the movie, and even then it can be questionable.

not every movie/videogame/ story in general needs a damn love interest for the main characters! Its like the kiss scene most every movie has. It adds nothing to the plot or the characters and is inconsequential for the most part and I despise it when some vapid romantic subplot which had no firm position in the characters motivations or the general plot somehow dictates the actions of the main characters. It just doesn't need to be there!

Is there no better character motivation for writers to come up with other than "he/she loves her/him so thats why they are doing thus and such"?
Related: "Love conquers all!"

Yeah, it's supposed to be optimistic, but it might be less disappointing when it proves untrue for someone if they'd stop cramming it down our throats at every single opportunity.
I didn't say that... where did I say that? I agree but I didn't say it... are you a alien?

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Dr. McD said:
trophykiller said:
Quite simply, this thread is a list of things they do in all sorts fictional stories, from games to books to movies, that irritate you when repeated. Example:

Quote from Yahtzee: "why is it that after any sort of apocalypse, people rush to strap severed animal heads to pots and pans? I mean how hard would it be to loot your local walmart or mall for clothes".

See where this is going?
Nevermind that. Why does EVERY post apocalyptic setting have to be so BROWN, I mean seriously, the bandits survive (despite nobody liking them or wanting to trade with them, there is more bandits than non-criminals) and yet no PLANTS survive the great offscreen war.

Would it kill devs to not make the entire world a fucking desert for once?!
Thank you, this is a very good point. Why is it that if zombies or robots hit, we expect all plants to die as well as people. Perfect examples: Resident Evil Extinction and Terminator Salvation.

Also, another cliche: ragtag group of maybe 6 suvivors(at most) survives whilst the military gets owned. Perpetrators: Nearly every zombie movie in the history of man. Forgive me if I think a squad of trained soldiers with assault rifles will fare better than a clean-cut teenager with a double-barrel shotgun.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Noala said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Let's see, any movie that follows the Campbellian Hero pattern, while inadvertently ripping off Star Wars by accident.

What is a Campbellian Hero?
A Campbellian Hero is a character archetype that follows many of the tropes and cliches as described by writer Joseph Campbell in his book The Hero of a Thousand Faces.

It is the stock pattern that thousands of literary works have followed, even before Campbell wrote and categorized them. They basically work like this.

The problem is, most of the films and books that follow this structure recently all take their cues from Star Wars' take on the monomyth, instead of using the original pattern.

How many games or films have you seen that start with the hero's hometown/farmstead/family being destroyed?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Xaio30 said:
"Well, well, well... what do we have here?"

I get physical injuries from the following cringing.
What about when it's done by a sack full of bugs?

Well well well, what have we here? Sandy Klaws is it? Ooh, I'm really scared!

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
There's a cocky guys(s) who's doing something usually a sport or video game, and then a girl(s) will come over and ask to play. The guy(s) will scoff at them and accept, only to have his ass utterly handed to him by the girl(s).

Seriously, this is so fucking awful and overused.

Dtox333

Dec 7, 2011
Anime, just generally anime, most anime i cannot stand because different aspects of separate shows act so similar to each other.

so many scenes and mannerisms play out exactly the same...too many to point out.

pretty much Egoraptors "girlchan in paradise" shows exactly what i hate about anime, even though it is COMPLETELY dramatized to a significant degree, it sums up everything.

although this doesn't mean i do not appreciate certain anime. i can appreciate (but wont watch on my own) animes like trigun, hellsing, ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, death note, neon genesis, and many others.

the ONLY anime i fully respect and love to watch is Full Metal Alchemist (i prefer brotherhood). although it has a few of those quirks and mannerisms of anime that i usually dislike, FMA does them RIGHT by having my kind of humor, as well as the characters actually acting developed. It also avoids having unnecessary gimmicks (impractical bits of clothing and what not) as well as it avoids the all too common sexual innuendos that you see so often in anime (it only really does this with lust, but with her it actually makes sense).

Dtox333

Dec 7, 2011
Father Time said:
Promethax said:
"Any evil can be talked to and reasoned with."
I have honestly never seen this. I've seen the opposite a couple times "he's an evil psychopath who no one can reason with".
well too often i see people make the mistake of showing a person with antisocial personality disorder (psychopaths or sociopaths) show hints of having actual feelings of empathy or remorse, when they should be completely incapable of such a thing (the part of the brain that dictates what we call a "conscious" is literally dead for those diagnosed with this).

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I hate the cliche of women who seem tough and strong, but when the chips are down, she needs to be rescued. Frankly, it's ridiculous, and I dearly wish those who adhere to that would knock it off.