Cliches that you hate with a passion.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
the sword is the holy weapon, why not a bloodly axe, mace, frail, spear, greathammer, or something other then a sword, really why the sword get so much loving its annoying...

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
Orks da best said:
the sword is the holy weapon, why not a bloodly axe, mace, frail, spear, greathammer, or something other then a sword, really why the sword get so much loving its annoying...
Probably because it can look like a cross, and the act of looking like a cross makes it seem more 'holy' than other weapons.

Let's see, my most detested cliche...

"A powerful, almost-invincible enemy is brought down by the hero."

Well, so much for being fucking almost-invincible...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
My avatar wants a word with you!

Everything this piece of crap was... talk about killing part of my childhood. Granted the scene with the Stygian witchs was pretty good and Liam Neeson as Zeus is something I could proberly believe to be actual fact, the rest of the film was just so... CLICHE!!!

Io is proberly my most hated character in modern film. Christ everything about her was just awful and no one seemed bothered!!!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DarthRiko said:
"It's quiet. A little TOO quiet.?

>_>
I dont know why but I cracked up just imagining you dressed in a military outfit (like from Alien or Starship Troopers) looking like that over at your Captain who just said it... and I don't even know what you look like.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
ReinWeisserRitter said:
"It's more evil because it happened to a child!"
I can't stand this one.

"Think of the children!"
"What about that poor sod?"
"F HIM, HE SHOULD HAVE RUN FASTER!!!"

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
The obligatory love interest.

Almost every fucking movie has one. ALWAYS. and it is always a thinly masked and banal relationship, unless its the focus of the movie, and even then it can be questionable.

not every movie/videogame/ story in general needs a damn love interest for the main characters! Its like the kiss scene most every movie has. It adds nothing to the plot or the characters and is inconsequential for the most part and I despise it when some vapid romantic subplot which had no firm position in the characters motivations or the general plot somehow dictates the actions of the main characters. It just doesn't need to be there!

Is there no better character motivation for writers to come up with other than "he/she loves her/him so thats why they are doing thus and such"?

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
These are great, so I'll add one of mine:

"Demon lord is super smart, powerful, and experienced, yet doesn't realize his inventory is crap." There's a reason we've designed weapons/armor to be a certain way, and there's no good reason why a powerful character can't think the same.

Also, any helmets that have horns on them. No, vikings didn't wear horns, that's a myth. Here's what an actual viking helmet looked like:

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
A sequel or prequel uses a well known line just so fans can go "aahh awesome! a shout out to the series, coooolzzz." It has really started bugging me ever since I saw Rise of The Planet of The Apes.

Stupid douche bag kid is about to get his shit wrecked by Caesar. He just has to say "get off me you damn dirty ape!" I'm like "wtf..." it sounded so forced I nearly got up and left the movie theater. Good thing everything else about the movie was awesome. There is no way that fucking kid would say damn dirty ape, it would be more like get off me dammit!!! or something else. That line just... it doesn't sound like he would of said it.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
The good guys infiltrating an enemy base flawlessly by putting on the guards' uniforms. So overused.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Thank you for this. Thank you. You win 10 Internetz

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Let's see, any movie that follows the Campbellian Hero pattern, while inadvertently ripping off Star Wars by accident.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
But Samurai quick drawing is what they did, it was pretty much how they dealt with anyone who threatened there master.

It was the most efficient way to dispatch of someone in the quickest way possible.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
PunkRex said:
Almost every fucking movie has one. ALWAYS. and it is always a thinly masked and banal relationship, unless its the focus of the movie, and even then it can be questionable.

not every movie/videogame/ story in general needs a damn love interest for the main characters! Its like the kiss scene most every movie has. It adds nothing to the plot or the characters and is inconsequential for the most part and I despise it when some vapid romantic subplot which had no firm position in the characters motivations or the general plot somehow dictates the actions of the main characters. It just doesn't need to be there!

Is there no better character motivation for writers to come up with other than "he/she loves her/him so thats why they are doing thus and such"?
Related: "Love conquers all!"

Yeah, it's supposed to be optimistic, but it might be less disappointing when it proves untrue for someone if they'd stop cramming it down our throats at every single opportunity.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ragnarok185 said:
DarthRiko said:
"It's quiet. A little TOO quiet.?

>_>
*bullet flies past*
"now suddenly it's too loud... I liked it better when it was quiet"
"And it will taste of PURE EVIIIIIIL! Which taste like Red Bull, which is disgusting!"

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
And now, Protagonist, I, the Antagonist! Shall kill you with this very slow moving death machine instead of just shooting you in the head thereby giving you and your friends time to escape from the machine with some deus ex machina item. But first, I am going to have a little chat for, oh, I don't know, just about as much time it would take for your other friends to find you and help you.