Clicks and Giggles: Riddle Me This

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Aiedail256 said:
Alright, I'll be more specific: of the chicken and the egg, which came first?
I'd have to say that this question has been around so long that many answers, as seen above, have been created and accounted for. Thus, my vote is for you to either pick an answer someone provided as correct, or explain your own logic, either way allowing us to move to the next riddle.

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
Hyperrhombus said:
Aiedail256 said:
The Thinker said:
Neither. The universe came first.
the egg. the dinosaur egg.
Technically still not completely right, but I'll certainly give that to you. The answers I was prepared to accept were:
a) the egg, because there were egg-laying species long before chickens evolved
b) if you think of the question in the traditional sense: the chicken or the chicken egg, then the answer is, it depends on whether you associate the "species of an egg" with the animal that laid it or the animal that hatched from it. What we call "chicken" today used to be a different species, but it evolved into chickens. So there was, theoretically, a point where an almost-chicken gave birth to the first chicken. If you consider the species of an egg to be associated with what laid it, the chicken came first, because the first chicken egg had to have been laid by a pre-existing chicken. If, on the other hand, you associate the species of an egg with what hatched from it, the first chicken hatched from the first chicken egg, so the egg came first.

Hyperrhombus

Mar 31, 2011
Aiedail256 said:
Hyperrhombus said:
Aiedail256 said:
The Thinker said:
Neither. The universe came first.
the egg. the dinosaur egg.
Technically still not completely right, but I'll certainly give that to you. The answers I was prepared to accept were:
a) the egg, because there were egg-laying species long before chickens evolved
b) if you think of the question in the traditional sense: the chicken or the chicken egg, then the answer is, it depends on whether you associate the "species of an egg" with the animal that laid it or the animal that hatched from it. What we call "chicken" today used to be a different species, but it evolved into chickens. So there was, theoretically, a point where an almost-chicken gave birth to the first chicken. If you consider the species of an egg to be associated with what laid it, the chicken came first, because the first chicken egg had to have been laid by a pre-existing chicken. If, on the other hand, you associate the species of an egg with what hatched from it, the first chicken hatched from the first chicken egg, so the egg came first.
Nice reasoning!

Also, since The Thinker has already solved my riddle, I pass the baton on to him. Riddle us, Thinker!

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Riddle time! Also, due to the fact that we call unfertilized chicken eggs (contains no chicken) "chicken eggs", it totally has to due with what laid the egg. moving on:

Two short strangers, divided on racial terms, met almost facing each other. One was far from her home, the second had never left. The second one, feeling trapped, took advantage of a newly-passed law to flee quickly towards the first stranger, hoping to pass her by. The first stranger merely side-stepped behind the second, killing her in the process. Doing so, she became one step closer to royalty.

What the hell just happened?

I apologize if the above riddle is too easy/hard.

j1-2themax

Jun 30, 2008
This is a chess game. The two strangers are pawns. Capture via en passant.

Also, since I'm not one for giving riddles, anyone can take my spot (assuming I'm right, of course.)

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
I guess I'll restart this.

Two doors stand before you, one leads to heaven, the other leads to hell. Guarding these two doors are two men. One says nothing but lies while the other always tells the truth. Without knowing which door leads where, and which man is the liar, how do you find the door to heaven with only one question?

(Apologies if this one has been done before in this thread but I don't feel like going through 25 pages)

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Dread Skavos said:
The riddle is: How many red dots were there and how did the winning challenger determine the colour of the dot on their forehead to be green?
There were no red dots. The winner saw that neither of the other two men had red dots, for if one of them did then the other could also see the red dot and would've immediately answered green. Since neither of the losers had red, the winner could then deduce that he couldn't have a red dot, since either of the other two men would've seen it and then answered green.

(Heard a similar riddle some time back, but it involved different colored hats and prisoners)

King Henry the VIII gave his wife a bottomless container to hold flesh and blood. What was it?