Cliffy B Turned Down Offer From Hideo Kojima to Work on Silent Hill(s)

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
It's funny, because Cliffy B might be someone who at one point you could have said was also in the running for someone who is adverse to good PR.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
Darks63 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
OuendanCyrus said:
You seriously never heard of him before? Cliff Bleszinski is the lead guy behind the Gears of War games, but I don't really blame you if you don't play those games.
Well i played them during a more casual gamer phase, not much. I didn't know they made anybody a celebrity though.
He is more a Phil Fish kind of celebrity in gaming due to him being a jackass shill. He was one of the ppl telling console gamers to suck it up and accept it when the always online of the Bone was announced.
Pretty sure that was Adam Orth.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I would have been cool with that team up. Both men are distinct personalities within the industry, and both are quite adept at crafting unique experiences and building atmosphere; at least visually.

In the very least I would expect the game to be more playable and less janky than the last few SH games.

AzrealMaximillion said:
I know it seems cool to hate on Cliffy B around here due to the disdain for old school FPS around here, but the guy is an insanely accomplished game designer.
I don't even like the guy and even I'm surprised by the sheer degree of seething, unbridled hatred the man gets around here. It's embarrassing.

Regardless of how some around here feel about Gears of War and other Epic Games IPs, Bleszinski is a talented designer.

Though, some of the worst maps in the original Unreal Tournament were made by him, so I can't give him too much credit.

And seeing as how bad Silent Hill has been the last 10 years, maybe he wouldn't have been the worst choice.
I think we can at least assume he wouldn't have turned the series into pachinko machines. So there's that...

Darks63 said:
He is more a Phil Fish kind of celebrity in gaming due to him being a jackass shill. He was one of the ppl telling console gamers to suck it up and accept it when the always online of the Bone was announced.
Uh, that was Adam Orth.

How does one confuse Bleszinski with Orth?

The most Bleszinski ever said was that Orth may not have been far off the mark in predicting an "always online" future for many devices. He didn't say Orth was completely right, nor that he was justified in insulting console gamers, just that always online devices may be an inevitability.

kiri3tsubasa said:
It was, but let's not let FACTS derail the Hate Train.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Man, people love to hate on this guy, but he really brought some great games forth. Kinda sad to just see people jump on board of a hate train for him. He sounds like a great guy anytime I've ever read about him. He just has this down to earth kinda feel in terms of being real with who he is.

Reading his quote though that he would've fucked it up, I took it that he would've torn it up, given the way he usually talks. But I guess it was the other way.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The Wooster said:
the original Gears of War was absolutely dripping with atmosphere in the rare moments when it slowed down and let its art and sound design do the talking.
Gotta admit that this is true. There was a level in the original GoW set at night in a raging storm (appropriately named Downpour), and it still remains one of the most engrossing and atmospheric levels I've run across in a game. I just wish that the game could've indulged itself more often in that sort of display.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
I remember I got so salty trying to beat the final Gears 1 boss on Insane that I figured out how to glitch him out so he got stuck behind a wall and just blasted him. Good times

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Vigormortis said:
I would have been cool with that team up. Both men are distinct personalities within the industry, and both are quite adept at crafting unique experiences and building atmosphere; at least visually.

In the very least I would expect the game to be more playable and less janky than the last few SH games.

AzrealMaximillion said:
I know it seems cool to hate on Cliffy B around here due to the disdain for old school FPS around here, but the guy is an insanely accomplished game designer.
I don't even like the guy and even I'm surprised by the sheer degree of seething, unbridled hatred the man gets around here. It's embarrassing.

Regardless of how some around here feel about Gears of War and other Epic Games IPs, Bleszinski is a talented designer.

Though, some of the worst maps in the original Unreal Tournament were made by him, so I can't give him too much credit.

And seeing as how bad Silent Hill has been the last 10 years, maybe he wouldn't have been the worst choice.
I think we can at least assume he wouldn't have turned the series into pachinko machines. So there's that...

Darks63 said:
Uh, that was Adam Orth.

How does one confuse Bleszinski with Orth?

The most Bleszinski ever said was that Orth may not have been far off the mark in predicting an "always online" future for many devices. He didn't say Orth was completely right, nor that he was justified in insulting console gamers, just that always online devices may be an inevitability.

kiri3tsubasa said:
It was, but let's not let FACTS derail the Hate Train.
Here is 3 stories where he raged about the retraction of the always online but dont let that get in the way of your passive aggressive snarky jabs at me.
http://levelsave.com/cliffy-b-speaks-out-on-xbox-one-drm-retract/
http://www.lazygamer.net/gaming-news/xbox/xbox-one/cliffy-b-isnt-happy-with-the-xbox-one-about-turn/
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/cliff-bleszinski-defends-xbox-one-drm-reckons-sony-will-do-the-same/0117188

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Darks63 said:
Raged? His tweets seemed pretty straightforward and calm to me. In fact, some of them even came true. Hell, he even laughed at the audacity of one of the MS reps saying "if you're offline get a 360". He wasn't agreeing with the statement. He was laughing at the absurdity of it.

Where again was it that he "raged at" and "insulted" console gamers like Adam Orth did? Your links really don't support your claim. If anything, they refute it.

And just for clarity's sake: I still don't like the guy, but the unbridled and undeserved hate he gets around here just makes me embarrassed to be associated with this forum.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Darks63 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
OuendanCyrus said:
You seriously never heard of him before? Cliff Bleszinski is the lead guy behind the Gears of War games, but I don't really blame you if you don't play those games.
Well i played them during a more casual gamer phase, not much. I didn't know they made anybody a celebrity though.
Dislike him all you want, but that doesn't make him a shill. I hate it when people use that as a get out clause. Noone is being fucking paid to state opinions you don't like aside from the PR people.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Nice one Cliffy B. Can't be easy to admit that you would have been a poor fit for SH.

Humility is a rare thing in the games industry and not what I would have expected to see from him.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Quellist said:
Nice one Cliffy B. Can't be easy to admit that you would have been a poor fit for SH.

Humility is a rare thing in the games industry and not what I would have expected to see from him.
Especially when it's CliffyB of all people. It's almost like Trump being gracious in defeat in a political debate. Impressive, but rather rare.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Of all the people to ask... I'm glad Cliff declined though. It would be fantastic if Kojima and Del Torro collaborated on anything, really.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
He looks, for lack of a better word, a bit of a douche. Never heard of him before either. At first i thought it was that terrible band Cliffy Biro or Biffy Clyro, i dont fckin know. So neither is a good first impression.
The picture is from almost twenty years ago. I honestly don't know why that's the one used, except maybe in a "Do you really think this guy can handle Silent Hill?" But even then, I think this picture does a better job of explaining why he'd be a bad fit for the series:

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
The first thing that entered my head reading this article and associated thread, is how fucked up are people in this world that basic humility and understanding of ones' abilities, strengths and weaknesses is something that must be recognized and praised. I mean come on, we have fucking morons like Kanye West who just spew non-stop self aggrandizing bullshit, we make the dumbest people famous and throw money at them.

What, is it so hard to just recognize you aren't god's gift every once in a while?

(apologies for OTT bitterness)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MysticSlayer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
He looks, for lack of a better word, a bit of a douche. Never heard of him before either. At first i thought it was that terrible band Cliffy Biro or Biffy Clyro, i dont fckin know. So neither is a good first impression.
The picture is from almost twenty years ago. I honestly don't know why that's the one used, except maybe in a "Do you really think this guy can handle Silent Hill?" But even then, I think this picture does a better job of explaining why he'd be a bad fit for the series:

Though even to this day he's cursed with Douche Face. Again, can't place why, but I just have this inexplicable urge to give him a black eye from merely looking at his mug. Doesn't help that he's a hack, but even without that he's got an insufferable visage

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
Man, people love to hate on this guy, but he really brought some great games forth. Kinda sad to just see people jump on board of a hate train for him. He sounds like a great guy anytime I've ever read about him. He just has this down to earth kinda feel in terms of being real with who he is.
Its so sad to see. This attitude of hating Cliffy B started when Gears of War came out. People hate on that series for being the most popular "grimdark untraviolence" game when that's what all the AAA games were going for at the time.

Its also sad because I bet those same haters loved playing UT, Doom, and Quake growing up. The hate for Cliffy B is all essentially "he makes games I don't like because I feel I'm a 'Grown Up Gamer' even though I watch Gaurdians of the Galaxy."

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Wash your mouth out with soap. Jeez.