CliffyB: Microsoft Tried to "Have it Both Ways"

Sep 24, 2008
Cliffy B makes me want to get famous so I can directly call him out on his bullshit and he can not ignore me as another 'random internet troll'.

He designed a few good games. And a few bad ones. That doesn't mean his opinion means anything really. He's the same guy who said used games are killing the industry because they are sales not recouping their insane budgets... all the while ignoring all the indies who are making a killing without big budgets, because they made games people wanted to play and play again. Not linear dredges that are over in a few flashy hours with no replayability.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
StewShearer said:
Despite this, Bleszinski still believes that current practices in the used game market are a problem. "When I see studio after studio closing and the aforementioned alluded titles failing I know something's got to change."
Can't possibly have to do anything with the quality of the games or with the insane amounts spend on marketing.

No, it has to be the evil gamers with their used games and piracy

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
Kushan101: CliffyB needs to "shut the fuck up".

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is not OUR fault that publishers cant help but piss all their money away on marketing - EA did not need to launch a copy of Mass Effect 3 into space as part of its advertising campaign. Decent games sell themselves. How much marketing has Minecraft seen? yet still managed to sell 10 million copies on the PC, and another 10 million on XBLA.

Shut up "Cliffy". You're a prat.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
StewShearer said:
"You can't still have discs and then expect everyone to embrace digital.

[...]

"The shift to digital is still going to happen (FOR BOTH) but it's going to be slow and subtle. Suddenly more DLC will be made available. More <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122441-CliffyB-Microtransaction-is-Not-a-Dirty-Word-EA-is-Not-The-Bad-Guy>microstransactions will appear...
Contradict yourself much, "CliffyB" (if that is your real name)?

You first say that online distribution won't be embraced while discs still exist - and then you go on to explain how online distribution will be embraced while discs still exist.

"When I see studio after studio closing and the aforementioned alluded titles failing I know something's got to change."
Yeah. Studios need to make better games, and manage their budgets better. Claiming that they are closing because of used game sales seems pretty bogus. I'd say the reason is that companies saw massive dollar signs in the increased popularity of gaming, and started to flood the market, believing that any game company could make a killing just churning out titles, irrespective of their quality.

Considering the increasing prominence of digital game sales, this is a case where Bleszinski may be right.
Oh yeah, he's a real Nostradamus. In an increasingly interconnected world, one in which people in most developed countries spend a significant amount of their lives online, and many devices don't have optical drives, who would have thought that online distribution would become more popular?

Nobody but a visionary genius like CliffyB would have deduced this!

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I'm sorry but if developers want us to stop selling games then they should stop releasing an updated version of it every year and try to sell us that we need the latest one and expect us to keep the older versions (I'm looking at you EA). I keep games because they are fun. I replay games because they are fun. Only once have I sold a game that I thought was fun (Bulletstorm) and regretted it.