Climate Nearing “Point of No Return”

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah it’s Elon but he’s said/done crazier things -

Guessing the big fossil fuel and political elite connected to them wouldn’t like hearing this.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah it’s Elon but he’s said/done crazier things -
I started that video, but the minute he made an argument that was approximately "The earth is 70% water and humans are 70% water therefore we can solve problems involving water" I was out.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I started that video, but the minute he made an argument that was approximately "The earth is 70% water and humans are 70% water therefore we can solve problems involving water" I was out.
It sounded more like a bad joke, about aliens calling us “water” if they landed here because like earth we’re comprised of a similar amount of it. Maybe about 10% less on average.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It sounded more like a bad joke, about aliens calling us “water” if they landed here because like earth we’re comprised of a similar amount of it. Maybe about 10% less on average.
Either Elon's scriptwriter didn't make that claer, or Elon would be well advised never to try a career in stand-up comedy.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Either Elon's scriptwriter didn't make that claer, or Elon would be well advised never to try a career in stand-up comedy.
Ironically enough, Dave Chappelle once brought him out as a special guest at one of his shows. It didn’t go so well!

Elon actually actually used the, “I’m rich, b*itch!” line from his old show.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, it's also just wrong. Earth isn't 70% water. 70% of the surface of Earth is covered in water, but by volume it's only about 0.1% and about 0.02% by mass.

The most common element on Earth is actually iron, about 32%

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The most common element on Earth is actually iron, about 32%
Iron is the largest component of the Earth by mass, but if by common you mean abundance, it's oxygen.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It's made of people, Agema. IT'S MADE OF PEOPLE

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Within the earth though, or just in terms of the atmosphere above it?
There's basically nothing in the atmosphere.

Air is something like 1kg per cubic metre at sea level. But a cubic metre is 1000kg of water, or 2-3000kg of stone, or 8000kg iron. The air also gets less dense at higher altitudes - by the time you're at the top of Everest, it's only about 400-500g per cubic metre. What this means is that not only is the atmosphere vastly less dense than the crust and below, but because nearly all the mass of the atmosphere is in the bottom 20km or so, so the atmosphere is also in effect a much smaller volume than the solid bit of the planet.

Consequently, the atmosphere contributes an almost negligible amount to the total atomic content / mass of the Earth.