Clone Wars

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
madwarper said:
The original '03 animated shorts? Good stuff.

The '08 CGI series? From OK to Meh, not much more than Lucas squeezing the last drops of milk form a dead cow.
More like unearthing a dead cow, grinding its bones into powder, mixing the powder into a protein shake to feed to other cows in the hopes that they'll produce milk as good as the first cow.

Having said that, I still think this series is the best thing to come out of the Star Wars franchise since Return of the Jedi (excluding Video Games)

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I enjoy it. The art style took some getting used to, but once I did I enjoyed it. The combat in the saber fights flows well and seems visceral, and for a childrens show it's touched on some rather deep subjects; freedom vs destiny, duty and obligation vs morality, and the concept of what makes an individual a person entitled to the rights and privilages therein.

It's suprisingly deep if you know where to look.

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
Night_S1ash said:
madwarper said:

The '08 CGI series? From OK to Meh, not much more than Lucas squeezing the last drops of milk form a dead cow.
They should leave the old stuff alone, and if they want new stuff just don't put lucas in charge
Your talking about the show i was so excited for ran to my tv to watch and the first episode was 5 minuets of a ship flying over a camera? But the rest of the season was really good

Arontala said:
The shorts were fucking awesome, that's for damn sure. I especially loved the Elite Clone Squad that they followed. Those guys were badass.

I laughed at this whole thing. I think its the helmets...it makes the clones look so unconcerned, like they MEANT to get shot down

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
I don't get why they stopped producing Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars. Those? Freaking amazing, with great animations and doesn't dick around with half-assed attempts at character development like the newer clones wars has.

And all of the plots? Absolutely silly with disproportionately exceptional events. It the new animation style is blocky, and looks just... weird. Like it was claymation gone horribly wrong. They attempts at establishing character relationships and utilization of characters in general was piss poor in comparison to Genndy Tartakovsky.

They try way to hard in the new clone wars animated series to make it something its not. THose simple, short, concise Genndy Tartakovsky shorts were enjoyable and amazing to watch and didn't get weighed down by artificially inserted character developments and attempts at innovative plot twists.

Actually, the newer clone wars animated series suffers from the exact same problem the actual clone wars movies suffered: It the clone WARS. WAR. It is an advanced sci-fi pan-galactic conflict, and we see very little of that conflict in a context that isn't directly associated with the awful and unbelievable characters interactions, and miss out on the coolness of simple sci-fi action battles.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Arontala said:
The shorts were fucking awesome, that's for damn sure. I especially loved the Elite Clone Squad that they followed. Those guys were badass.

This! So much of this!

My favourite parts of Star Wars are the Mandolorians, and the Clones. Anything that has to do with Republic Commandos or ARC Troopers is crack for me. I would love to see an entire series of these guys. After all, THIS WAS THEIR FUCKING SHIP!

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
So far, the fourth season has had a major string of mediocre episodes. Except for Umbara. Holy shit is Umbara good.
That..... 2 parter I think was the only episodes I've watched in the last few months. It was a good episode.
Marik2 said:
madwarper said:

Yeah pretty much agree with you there.

Those animated shorts were really badass and it made General Grievous look like a threat.

I really wish they would of done it in this style, but they way they went is not bad at all in my opinion. For the actual characters, those old originals did much better. General Grievous totally got screwed over, but the bad guys always do...... eventually.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
So far, the fourth season has had a major string of mediocre episodes. Except for Umbara. Holy shit is Umbara good.
Holy Shit. They executed him, they did that in a kids show? I was definitely not expecting that!

Damn, that has to be downright one of the best scene I've seen in this Show!

OT: The 2003 shorts were amazing, but this TV series has been a bit iffy. It has it's amazing parts, (see above), but most of it is boring bland and predictable. Especially the parts with Anakin and Kenobi.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It started off kind of bad. Then it got good. Then it got really good. This version of Anakin is what we should have see in the prequels. Animation style aside, it actually has some of the darker moments in Stars Wars TV/Movies (mostly in the past two seasons).

Here's the thing, you're gonna know a dud episode from the very start. If the episode is going to be mainly following Padme or Jar Jar, just skip it. I don't like most of the C3PO and R2D2 episodes either. Ahsoka is actually good, though. It's especially intriguing because you know she's either going to have to die or disappear at some point. But we don't know why or how.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
It's a really good show, IMO. Like others have said, it starts off week, with a few good moments in Season 1 like "Rookies", "Cloak of Deception", the Ryloth trilogy, and "Hostage Crisis". Season 2 is mostly gold, lots of cool stuff with Bounty Hunters, we start seeing Ahsoka grow into a more fleshed out character, and Mandolorians! Season 3 starts out good, then has a whole stretch of horrible political episodes (Barring a couple episodes, "Heroes on Both Sides" is pretty good for a political episode), but then it gets really good with the Nightsisters and Mortis trilogies. The two finale episodes are really cool as well, kinda remind me of The Hunger Games (Wow, a Star Wars Hunger Games would be pretty cool).

Season 4 has been really mixed so far (But you seem to like it). The Umbara episodes maybe the best this shows had (Rex is now my favorite character), and the recent "Slaves of the Republic" trilogy isn't bad either, the rest was kinda "meh". I do look forward to the upcoming arc of Mandolorian/Bounty Hunter episodes. Then there's all that stuff about
Darth Maul returning this season.

Anyway, I hate how people completely dismiss this show because it's not the movies, this show's Anakin is Anakin Skywalker IMO, far better than the horrible prequel version. I can see him as the hero who tragically fell to the Dark Side as opposed to that whiny brat we saw in the movies. I do agree that this show can be too predictable and they need to have more episodes where the bad guys win. Episode III made it out to where they were winning the war.

Also, I like the old Clone Wars shorts, but they're an entirely different beast than this show...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The Genndy Tartakovsky series was fantastic and did a great job at introducing Grievous.

The more recent one is...okay, it has its ups and downs.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Shanicus said:
Marik2 said:
madwarper said:

Those animated shorts were really badass and it made General Grievous look like a threat.

Oh man, I almost forgot how awesome he was in those... why I was so disappointed with his portrayal in the 3rd movie.
Same, I mean I get that Obi-wan's a badass but they could've at least made Grievous look more intimidating and provide Kenobi with an actual challenge. In RotS he just got his arse handed to him in less than 5 minutes.

OT: I haven't seen much of them, but the film came out on my birthday so I felt like seeing it. It was good. Better than I expected, I only wished it was more mature and darker, but I suppose it is for younger audiences.

One day I'll pick up the original '03 ones and watch them, and then get the newer ones and have a massive Clone Wars fest.

EDIT: This just made me want to see if I could get a few episodes off iTunes, and to my horror I have discovered that iTunes (Here in the UK, at least) has barely anything Star Wars, not a single episode of the TV show, and only the Clone Wars movie, not 1-6.
I might get the Clone Wars film actually, but still.
Neither trilogy nor any of the Clone Wars TV shows?
[/spoiler]

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
on one hand, I'd really like to see something that focusses on a group of clone soldiers throughout the story and the way they interact with the story we're given.

on the other hand, they're clones, so there'd be very little difference in characters, so nevermind I guess.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Captain Pirate said:
Shanicus said:
Marik2 said:
Oh man, I almost forgot how awesome he was in those... why I was so disappointed with his portrayal in the 3rd movie.
Same, I mean I get that Obi-wan's a badass but they could've at least made Grievous look more intimidating and provide Kenobi with an actual challenge. In RotS he just got his arse handed to him in less than 5 minutes.
Well, in all fairness, the short introducing Grievous was drawn prior to the writers of Episode 3 had 'fleshed-out', so to say, his character.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Grievous#Movie_notes

General Grievous' asthmatic cough in Revenge of the Sith was intended to emphasize his organic nature as well as the flaws of cyborg prosthetics. Grievous had previously appeared in Clone Wars before many of his personality traits had been finalized. To reconcile the differences between the two presentations, Mace Windu uses the Force to crush Grievous' chest panel towards the end of the show's third season (Volume Two) as the general makes a desperate escape with Palpatine. Some of the audio effects for the coughing were taken from Lucas himself, who had bronchitis during principal photography.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
madwarper said:
Captain Pirate said:
Shanicus said:
Marik2 said:
Well, in all fairness, the short introducing Grievous was drawn prior to the writers of Episode 3 had 'fleshed-out', so to say, his character.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Grievous#Movie_notes

General Grievous' asthmatic cough in Revenge of the Sith was intended to emphasize his organic nature as well as the flaws of cyborg prosthetics. Grievous had previously appeared in Clone Wars before many of his personality traits had been finalized. To reconcile the differences between the two presentations, Mace Windu uses the Force to crush Grievous' chest panel towards the end of the show's third season (Volume Two) as the general makes a desperate escape with Palpatine. Some of the audio effects for the coughing were taken from Lucas himself, who had bronchitis during principal photography.
Oh, I know, but I still think it would've been better if they'd kept him as that terrifying, unstoppable figure. It would make all the fights scenes he was in in Episode 3 all the more impressive, as to me it seemed like Obi-wan was totally on top of things for 95% of the fight.
And I think it wasn't just the cough, it was everything. He was drastically shorter, he was all hunched over and looked weak at all times, and worst of all he looked skinny.

In the cartoon his size alone was intimidating, let alone his design. I think it would've been better if they'd just kept him the same consistently, no coughing or any of that. That way it would've been actually impressive watching the fight on Utapau, and Obi-wan would have looked far more heroic as a result.
I'm generally just disappointed entirely that they changed Grievous simply to show 'the flaws of cybernetics'. I read that they also tried to make him seem like a foreshadowing of Darth Vader, but that failed too in my opinion.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Shanicus said:
I was rather disappointed in how they afflicted him at the end (so that he ended up coughing and spluttering in the movie). Still, his practice fight with Dooku was probably the best thing to come out of the Star Wars franchise in... decades.

For some reason, he looked skinny in his fight with OWK while in the cartoon, he actually had presence.

Ah well...

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
Marik2 said:
madwarper said:

reminds me of samurai jack

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
ziggydk said:
Marik2 said:
madwarper said:

Thats cuz its made by the creator of Samurai Jack

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I've only seen about 4 episodes, and I'm not sure which seasons any of them were from. It kept me entertained I guess, I still don't know why Anakin has a Padawan though.

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
Marik2 said:
ziggydk said:
Marik2 said:
madwarper said:

Thats cuz its made by the creator of Samurai Jack
no wonder it's good then