Clothing Items you just don't understand

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
And WOMEN. Black leggings alone are not acceptable clothing. It just tells me that you are a slut but your actual legs look like shit.
Wtf? Wearing black leggins has nothing to do with being "a slut".
Tell that to the chicks in Dapto.
Good ol' Daptop Pants.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Starik20X6 said:
You know what? I just don't understand anyone who doesn't take pride in their appearance. If you aren't dressed like you're going on a date, don't leave the house yet because you aren't dressed properly. Dress like each day is the day you'll be interviewed for your dream job, by your future wife/husband. If everyone did that, the world would be a much nicer looking place.
Hmm. I don't know what to make of an attitude like this. On the one hand, there are some people around that you'd wish you didn't have to see. (but a lot of the time this cannot be reasonably improved by anything they can actually do in terms of clothing/grooming, so it becomes a bit of a moot point.).

On the other hand, something about being that superficial just doesn't sit well with me. On top of which, sometimes you go out purely because you need to, not because you want to.
If I have to go out to do something which cannot be put off and then have to make sure my appearance is 100% perfect as well, I'd probably starve.
Then again, given that getting my appearance to the best it could possibly be can easily take hours upon hours... Which is time I don't tend to have if I actually need to go somewhere, it's hardly a reasonable expectation to have that people do this every single time they leave the house.

Unless you can devote a substantial fraction of your time to it, that's just an unreasonable and largely inefficient use of time. (unless of course, you're a model, in which case, looking perfect is what you get paid to do...)
I should point out that I'm a very hyperbolic person.

I'm not asking everyone walk around in suits and cocktail dresses (as awesome as that would be). Hell, even just a t-shirt and jeans can be worn well. I'm just asking people not not be so slobbish. Make sure your clothes are clean. Obviously you don't need to get all dressed up for a two minute trip to the corner store, but if you're going out somewhere public, like a shopping center or something, have a shower before you go. Use deodorant. Just basic stuff like that. The less people of Walmart [http://www.peopleofwalmart.com] types the better.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Wadders said:
Starik20X6 said:
Woodsey said:
It's time to talk about fedoras. You all look terrible in them. No exceptions. People seem to think they're some kind of magic coolness device. They're not, they're just something that, for some reason, has been picked up by people on gaming forums - undoubtedly a great place for fashion advice - and labelled as 'cool'.
So much this. And you know what else I'd like to add to the "absolutely not cool, despite nerds saying otherwise"? Trench coats. Fuck trench coats. They were cool for about 6 months after the first Matrix movie came out, and subsequently they've been run into the ground so hard they're now technically considered part of Chinese territorial soil. No, you don't look cool and mysterious; you look like a fat dork. Literally any other kind of coat is cooler than a trench coat.
Totally agree, up until here. Sure trench coats look awful if they are worn by your "fat dork", but when worn by a Wermacht officer...? :p

Also they don't have to be leather - these count as trench coats too, I believe, and are also nice.
That's a fair point. Unfortunately, the last time I saw a person wearing a trench coat who wasn't also doing their best Snorlax impression was so long ago I can't remember it. Also Wermacht = horrifying. Damn Nazi's ruining the swastika forever...

Oh, and as for the 'what do people in this thread dress like'? I'm underdressed if I'm not wearing a waistcoat and tie. Yeah I own a couple of gamer shirts, but they're my 'sitting around the house' clothes.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I'm pretty live and let live about fashion, so I don't see any point to insulting clothes that are specific to whatever profession, subculture, or age group. I've seen some brilliant-looking ties on smart-looking suits, I've seen plenty of women wearing thick leggings with long shirts who look awesome, and even if I think the trend of buying pre-ripped jeans is a waste of money, it doesn't actually offend me.

That said, if I absolutely had to name one thing about clothing that makes no sense to me, it's when people buy t-shirts in the wrong size and don't alter them. I get that people sometimes get these things free or discounted at concerts or cons and so on, but if you're a medium sized person and you buy that one XXL that was in stock because you love the band/festival/comic/game/charity/whatever, why not have the thing taken in? When you're swimming in your shirt it's just that much harder to take you seriously - if it were a look that fit some kind of subculture then at least that would be an excuse, but almost everyone I've met who does this is doing it out of laziness. What I don't understand is what's so hard about wearing clothes that fit.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Onesies. Going to the supermarket in your PJs is bad enough, but wearing a onesie out of the house just makes you look like an idiot. I get it, you want me to look at you. I'm looking at you and I think you're a twat. Your mum is probably thinking that too as she pays for the shopping. Go home an put some clothes on.

Ripped clothes, especially jeans. You look like a tramp. And you know, for the cost of those you could have bought 8 or 9 pairs of jeans without holes in from this very shop. Aisle 2 if you don't mind.

Tracksuits. You look like you just crawled out of bed. Go home and get dressed. See onesie.

Ugg boots. You might as well be wearing slippers. Go buy some shoes, they're on the aisle opposite the jeans without holes in.

You don't get into my party unless you're sporting at least a jacket/blazer and some nice shoes. Seriously, it doesn't take any effort at all to at least look a little bit sharp.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Starik20X6 said:
Wadders said:
Starik20X6 said:
Woodsey said:
It's time to talk about fedoras. You all look terrible in them. No exceptions. People seem to think they're some kind of magic coolness device. They're not, they're just something that, for some reason, has been picked up by people on gaming forums - undoubtedly a great place for fashion advice - and labelled as 'cool'.
So much this. And you know what else I'd like to add to the "absolutely not cool, despite nerds saying otherwise"? Trench coats. Fuck trench coats. They were cool for about 6 months after the first Matrix movie came out, and subsequently they've been run into the ground so hard they're now technically considered part of Chinese territorial soil. No, you don't look cool and mysterious; you look like a fat dork. Literally any other kind of coat is cooler than a trench coat.
Totally agree, up until here. Sure trench coats look awful if they are worn by your "fat dork", but when worn by a Wermacht officer...? :p

Also they don't have to be leather - these count as trench coats too, I believe, and are also nice.
That's a fair point. Unfortunately, the last time I saw a person wearing a trench coat who wasn't also doing their best Snorlax impression was so long ago I can't remember it. Also Wermacht = horrifying. Damn Nazi's ruining the swastika forever...

Oh, and as for the 'what do people in this thread dress like'? I'm underdressed if I'm not wearing a waistcoat and tie. Yeah I own a couple of gamer shirts, but they're my 'sitting around the house' clothes.
Not everyone in the Wehrmacht was a Nazi, but that's not relevant here; what is relevant is that Hugo Boss designed their uniforms :p

Trenchcoats can be seen in cities in the UK, you see businessmen in them in London looking smart as fuck.

I too own band t-shirts, hoodies, tracksuit trousers etc. but just for the purposes of lounging about at home. The rest of the time I make sure I'm clean and smart, usually slim jeans/chinos with shoes and a polo or button up shirt. Even if I am just popping to the shop or getting petrol or something where I will hardly be seen by anybody other then myself. Waistcoats and ties ftw though!

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
A good, military surplus trench coat is great in winter, keeps me nice and warm. Also, I proudly own a surplus VDV blue beret. I wear it with pride.

And blue jeans and with a polo shirt, with a standard jacket work well for me. The beret looks good with everything :p

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Wadders said:
HoneyVision said:
I'm actually kinda curious now to know what people in this thread actually dress like.
Seconded.

Video game t-shirts and hoodies abound, I expect.

I'm hearing people slagging suits, ties, chinos and slim trousers, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. The first 3 have been accepted (when worn correctly) as cool and smart for getting on for 100 years. Admittedly these newer mutations of chinos with elastic ankles or big pockets, worn by 15 year-olds with trainers look bloody awful, but chinos proper have been around since the end of WW2.

I'm assuming those who hate on slim jeans are fortunate enough to be of a decent build. For lanky folks such as myself anything other than slim jeans look like I'm wearing balloon trousers. Slim jeans give a better silhouette, are more comfy and in my view look smarter than baggy ones.

And heels seem to be a subject of hate. I'n not female so it's not my place to comment but I just thought heels were accepted as a thing women wore when wanting to look smart/sexy. Had no idea there were people who are so vehemently anti-heel.

Also people are saying it is irrational/pointless/wasteful/vain to spend time and money on your appearance. Yes I suppose it would be nice to have a society that did not judge on appearances but a) it does, and b) one could equally argue that spending ones time and money playing games, reading comics, going fishing, modding cars or any number of pass times and hobbies is pointless. Rant over.
Starik20X6 said:
Woodsey said:

Pretty much what I've been saying since my first post here in this thread. There's some silly misconception that if you spend time and money improving your appearance and clothing it means you're 'shallow' and 'wasteful', when in fact the same could be said about anything, including video games and comics. The key is moderation. Never excess too much in anything.

And at the risk of sounding like a total ****, I find that in real life that people who put down specific items of clothing usually either don't have an appropriate figure to wear them or are too scared to wear them. Heels and slim pants are the prime examples here.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
How can people hate trench coats? They're not only super-smart and modest, but they're one of the most functional pieces of clothing I've ever come across. When you live in a tropical climate like I do, you need something light and waterproof. Trench coats are a great solution to humid, wet weather. They key is knowing how to wear them. The fatass in the Mario tee clearly doesn't.

PhreakyDee

Apr 2, 2010
There is far between them, but in the right pair, I think high heels are comfortable and I feel good, the whole difference between "plopping" around in my converse and "floating" around in the right pair of heels can be wonderful. I only have a problem with girls wearing heels which they can't walk in. Seriously, if you are going to wobble around in a pair of heels, please choose flat shoes instead... Both for your own and our sake.

Also; Onesies seems to be incredibly comfortable and I wouldn't hold it against anyone to walk around in one if all they are doing is relaxing. But as soon as we're moving into the "Actually going out to do something" territory (Talking about anything between the queen's party and going out shopping) be presentable. If you're just going down to the park or out to eat ice cream, wear whatever you want.

OT: Any dress without volume and/or shorter than floor length worn as a ball dress. No, it's NOT okay! It's a special occasion for a reason! And remember the damn shawl! And any kind of male hat worn indoors, it's a direct insult to the host. (This case being the direct opposite for women.)

Also; over the knee boots and hotpants/miniskirts (Seriously I have recently seen a woman wearing a skirt so short you could actually see her underwear, and if I'm not mistaken one could sort of see that she was on her period. Yes, she was hot, petite little figure, but that just ruined everything! She could have failed to keep up personal hygiene, lost the makeup and worn a pair of sweatpants and a tank-top and she would have been exponentially more attractive). Specially if said boots are of black "leather" and has a slim heel. It just looks trashy. And any kind of clothes that looks small enough to rip when you start moving. Ugh... >< Know your bodytype and your body's capabilities and dress accordingly. (Why do women without waist and hips want to show off how linear their body is? I just don't understand. Specially with women where their torso looks like it was taken from someone large and put on a pair of small legs. It looks ridiculous when you point it out in your clothing! Try to at least flatter yourself, woman!)

As pointed out in the onesie part up there I'm not one of those "You can't go out 'till you're perfect in any way"-types. I just want people to understand that "fashion" or simple outfitting is something definable by individual, personal style and occasion. There is a reason why

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
HoneyVision said:
Wadders said:
HoneyVision said:
I'm actually kinda curious now to know what people in this thread actually dress like.
Seconded.

Video game t-shirts and hoodies abound, I expect.

I'm hearing people slagging suits, ties, chinos and slim trousers, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. The first 3 have been accepted (when worn correctly) as cool and smart for getting on for 100 years. Admittedly these newer mutations of chinos with elastic ankles or big pockets, worn by 15 year-olds with trainers look bloody awful, but chinos proper have been around since the end of WW2.

I'm assuming those who hate on slim jeans are fortunate enough to be of a decent build. For lanky folks such as myself anything other than slim jeans look like I'm wearing balloon trousers. Slim jeans give a better silhouette, are more comfy and in my view look smarter than baggy ones.

And heels seem to be a subject of hate. I'n not female so it's not my place to comment but I just thought heels were accepted as a thing women wore when wanting to look smart/sexy. Had no idea there were people who are so vehemently anti-heel.

Also people are saying it is irrational/pointless/wasteful/vain to spend time and money on your appearance. Yes I suppose it would be nice to have a society that did not judge on appearances but a) it does, and b) one could equally argue that spending ones time and money playing games, reading comics, going fishing, modding cars or any number of pass times and hobbies is pointless. Rant over.
Starik20X6 said:
Woodsey said:

Pretty much what I've been saying since my first post here in this thread. There's some silly misconception that if you spend time and money improving your appearance and clothing it means you're 'shallow' and 'wasteful', when in fact the same could be said about anything, including video games and comics. The key is moderation. Never excess too much in anything.

And at the risk of sounding like a total ****, I find that in real life that people who put down specific items of clothing usually either don't have an appropriate figure to wear them or are too scared to wear them. Heels and slim pants are the prime examples here.

Yep. Being presentable should be the very least one should aspire to. And you don't sound like a ****, I know exactly what you mean. I have a mate who knocks my clothing from time to time - I love him, but he's clueless about clothes and his appearance, and he doesn't exactly have the figure for skinny trousers or slim fit shirts.
HoneyVision said:
How can people hate trench coats? They're not only super-smart and modest, but they're one of the most functional pieces of clothing I've ever come across. When you live in a tropical climate like I do, you need something light and waterproof. Trench coats are a great solution to humid, wet weather. They key is knowing how to wear them. The fatass in the Mario tee clearly doesn't.
Like I said before, his size wouldn't even be that much of an issue if he got rid of those fucking grisly t-shirt and jeans and invested in something a bit sharper. As it stands though, he looks like a complete and utter drip.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
- Hipster clothes that look like they picked it up from the Salvation Army for $10 at most but in reality spent over $200.
- Jeggings.

- Thongs. It's butt floss! How could that be comfortable to wear?
- Sweatpants. I get wearing them if you're lounging around inside, but why would you wear them outside?
- Pre-worn/torn designer jeans.

There a lot more that I don't get, but I can't be assed.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
There is a style of women's pants that have fake pockets. They look like they have an opening for a pocket, but it's sown completely shut. Drives me nuts.

Then the style of panties that has the lacy butt crack. It's like a reverse thong. Don't understand why that's sexy.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
soren7550 said:
Thongs are comfortable once you get used to them.
Also they are great because you dont see the outlines of your underwear through your pants.
I think those underwear outlines are the worst.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think a lot of the people hating on trenchcoats are probably short (as I am). Seriously, it's hard to look good in a long coat that isn't... long. And if it is long you're dragging it across the floor and looking like a tosser.

dmase said:
Stuff like this doesn't really confuse me until I find out it's supposed to be for every day use. It sort of looks like some kind of modest lingerie which, sure, I'm all for. But as actual clothes? that's odd.

Then there's stuff that isn't clothes but is still "fashion" like masses of piercings or ear stretchers. That shit confuses me.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
normally, I' fine with pretty much any type of clothing, I mean, my fashion isn't all that great anyways, but there's this one trend i do not like: Gauges. mostly the really big ones. I don't get why anyone would want these.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I guess I'm not really one to talk, I am in no way the most fashion-consious girl around! There are a few things I dislike, and I know I can't really defend it morally. I just don't like them!

is the piece of clothing that annoys me the most for no good reason. I think they look so painfully stupid, they are always worn at an angle that makes little sense (I was in town once, and a guy had this cap tilted at an angle that made sun come into his eyes, so he held his hand up to block it... WTF?!), and when I peeled off that silly sticker on my friends BFs hat he went completely mental! He also never wanted to speak to me after that =p.

Fedoras annoy me too, mostly because the people that wear them where I live are such douchebags! They seem to consider themselves superior in every way just because they wear the hat, and they don't even consider how it works with the rest of their clothing...

I generally totally get decorative items, things like a pretty hairclip that doesn't really do anything but it looks good, a neat looking bracelet or necklace, some chains and things on clothing... For some reason it is mainly hats that annoy me, maybe because I look terrible in all types of hats... Also, skinny jeans. Stop it! STOP IT! I have seen enough muffin tops (even skinny people look fat when they wear those jeans...) for a lifetime, and I mostly order my clothes online these days because it is impossible to get jeans that fit well in the stores where I live. I like lose fitting bottoms, I want my legs to be comfortable when I walk. I also don't like to wear low-cut jeans, people don't need to see my bum every time bend over even slightly.

Thongs and g-strings also look terrible, and in combination with low-cuts and a short top... AAUGH!

People that wear their jeans round their knees look ridiculous, and even worse when in combination with a t-shirt that must be at least 7 sizes too large. They look like their torsos are 4 times longer than their legs! WHY?! And the short-sleeve t-shirt seems to be long enough to cover their arms entirely. Then there are those "true gangstas" that top it all off by wearing a hoodie UNDER the t-shirt, with a bandana under a cap under the hood of their hoodie...

I notice that I dislike a lot of things for no good reason...

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
HoneyVision said:
snip

I'm a 5'10 1/2", 300 lbs. man with large feet. Of course I'm afraid to wear high heels. I'd break my ankle. And gurl please, I'm fabulous! *snaps fingers in z formation*

When I was younger and much lighter(around 170 lbs.) I've tried wearing heels. Maybe it's because of my large feet, but it just felt awkward and uncomfortable. After a while, my toes felt like they were going to snap off. I had no problem with short heels that were 1-1 1/2 inches high, but the bigger ones were just horrible.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Angie7F said:
soren7550 said:
Also they are great because you dont see the outlines of your underwear through your pants.
I almost always wear jeans, so this has never been a problem for me.

So screw you butt floss! Go panties!

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Angie7F said:
soren7550 said:
As has been mentioned there are alternatives for avoiding VPL.

As a married man I lost count of the number of times I've been asked by my wife to check for VPL (one of the rare how do i look jobs that both gives a great view and isnt ever a trap) and tempting as it is to fail it to get to watch an underwear change, i usually go with the truth.

Also a walk down the high street will usually lead to seing more unsightly thongs poking out than VPL.