CNN Reporter Breaks Down After Devastating Covid-19 Report

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

Covid-19 has killed over 370,000 Americans, resulting in incalculable grief for families and medical staff, as well as journalists covering the carnage daily. It’s a grief that overtook CNN correspondent Sara Sidner during a live broadcast Tuesday morning, leaving her tearful as she relayed the tragedy of it all.

Sidner was reporting on a Southern California family who had to hold a funeral for their mother in a parking lot after she died of covid-19. The woman’s husband died of the virus only 11 days prior.

The report explored the ways in which covid-19 is particularly devastating to people of color in the United States, who are more likely to be essential workers and more likely to live in multi-generational homes, two factors which increase the likelihood of transmission. Covid-19 risk factors like diabetes and asthma are also disproportionately prevalent among Black and Latinx Americans.
“This is the tenth hospital that I have been in,” Sidner said, sobbing as she referred to Martin Luther King Jr Community Hospital in Los Angeles, a site at the center of the covid-19's racial gap. “And to see the way that these families have to live after this, and the heartache that goes so far and so wide... it’s really hard to take.”

She apologized profusely for breaking from the stoicism demanded of broadcast journalists. New Day’s Alisyn Camerota lent empathetic commentary from the CNN studios, calling covid-19 and its aftermath a “collective trauma.”

The crumbling of the facade was an important kind of journalism in and of itself, rendering the mourning and invisible butchery of the virus into an almost tangible torment. It’s one thing for viewers to see the rising death toll on CNN’s tracker day in and day out. It’s another to see someone responsible for delivering such information grow overwhelmed by the scale of its agony. While politicians and medical analysts keep a straight face, Sidner kept it real.

“These families should not be going through this,” Sidner continued. “No family should be going through this. So please, listen to what this family is saying: Don’t let this be you. Do whatever you can to keep this from killing your family members, and your neighbors, and your friends, and your teachers, and doctors, and firefighters... all of these people are here to help you, but you have to do your part.”

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, I'm pretty much falling out with certain family who keep pushing conspiracy theories about this and other shit, it's gotten beyond irresponsible and outright harmful, selfish, ignorant and just plain despicable. Fuck em and their cushioned echo bubble of privilege.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Remember when Obama cried about a school shooting? Remember how conservatives responded? This won't change anyone's mind. The people who know nearly 400k avoidable deaths is bad know it already and the rest are... Best left unsaid. Talking to more conservative family they genuinely don't understand empathy.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, I'm pretty much falling out with certain family who keep pushing conspiracy theories about this and other shit, it's gotten beyond irresponsible and outright harmful, selfish, ignorant and just plain despicable. Fuck em and their cushioned echo bubble of privilege.

I haven't talked to my step mother in 6 months because of her Covid denialism(and being a Trumper...and a Racist....really, she's a pretty shitty person). I've barely talked to my dad(her husband) in that period, but he's been on slightly better behaviour.

Both of them want to visit their 3 year old granddaughter, and well, if they aren't gonna take Covid seriously, they can talk to her on video chat. Forever, if need be.

I can only imagine how the next big holiday we can actually gather(Thanksgiving? Maybe?) is going to go. Because I really don't want my step mom there and I don't think anyone else does either(other then my dad). But hey, we gotta get COVID under control first before that's even an option.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Can't wait for the usual suspects to make noise about how terrible it is to turn away from friends and family due to severe ideological differences.

How privileged of a life do you have to lead to think family is some magical solve all, and have no empathy towards situations which don't align to that view?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Can't wait for the usual suspects to make noise about how terrible it is to turn away from friends and family due to severe ideological differences.

How privileged of a life do you have to lead to think family is some magical solve all, and have no empathy towards situations which don't align to that view?
Well, if people around you are shitty and toxic, best to just put up with it no matter how bad it is for your mental and emotional health because they're your tribe and members of your tribe can never be held remotely accountable for their words or actions. Cutting them out of your life would make them feel bad, you monster.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I haven't talked to my step mother in 6 months because of her Covid denialism(and being a Trumper...and a Racist....really, she's a pretty shitty person). I've barely talked to my dad(her husband) in that period, but he's been on slightly better behaviour.
A friend of mine, he had a rocky relationship with his father. In fact, his model of how to raise his son was to be nothing like his father treated him. He said he let the father see his grandson twice, and after the second time, decided his father had learnt nothing and was too toxic to allow further contact.

Sometimes, that's just the way it has to be.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
And now imagine what it's like for the hospital staff.

But remember guys, it's only lockdown that's bad for people's mental health.
Yeah that bullshit about mental health, as if without any lockdown peoples mental health would be great. I'm going to be more upset if my parents die of a slow painful strangulation with tubes down their throats than if I just lost my job and all my money.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah that bullshit about mental health, as if without any lockdown peoples mental health would be great. I'm going to be more upset if my parents die of a slow painful strangulation with tubes down their throats than if I just lost my job and all my money.
All while knowing most of our "leadership" transparently doesn't give a shit about limiting the death and damage or will break the same rules they claim they do care about.

Or people actively flaunting the safety measures because "My Freedoms!" while shit gets ever worse.

Mental Health is a convenient excuse that gets trotted out by certain people as an excuse not to do anything different(See "Anytime a mass shooting happens") and yet gets forgotten the moment the crisis passes. No push for everyone to get mental health resources they might need, investment into health care(SOCALISM!), etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's definitely heartbreaking, but front line hospital workers are having the worst. So imagine how they feel. I don't need to because I've seen it. The super self-absorbed deniers can go fuck themselves to hell. For those idiots that ironically get hit with the virus, you can meet Fleming in hell and tell him to make some room for the others.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
One of my relatives works in a care home with people with dementia. Nine of the 12 people she cares for have died of COVID in the last few weeks.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
And now imagine what it's like for the hospital staff.

But remember guys, it's only lockdown that's bad for people's mental health.
Let's not forget the main reason why our current generation is predicted to have a shorter life expectancy than previous generation (1st time ever I believe) is mental health.

Let's not forget how poorly healthcare is treating covid as well, which is not blaming the healthcare workers themselves. Covid isn't treated until it gets bad and people need hospital care and that's completely unacceptable. You can treat covid early as outpatient to save hospitalizations but that isn't done in the US. Also, all the patients with any kind of covid system, like a simple headache, are told to go to the main hospitals causing those healthcare workers to be overwhelmed while it's a ghost town in every other medical facility. I literally go to every hospital and offsite clinic for my job, and I also work in a "red" county in Indiana. I also have not seen any overloaded departments in any of the hospitals the entire time from ER to ICU to IMCU, no patients in beds in hallways or anything like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I also have not seen any overloaded departments in any of the hospitals the entire time from ER to ICU to IMCU, no patients in beds in hallways or anything like that.
You don't think that's because of common hospital procedures in Covid times dictating that hallways be kept clear of people for distancing purposes?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You don't think that's because of common hospital procedures in Covid times dictating that hallways be kept clear of people for distancing purposes?
I'm saying departments aren't so overloaded that they have to spill into hallways or other areas. I'm currently in a main hospital in Lake county Indiana which is "red", the worst classification. ER, ICU, IMCU all have empty rooms. I'm installing hardware to literally all the patient rooms currently.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I'm saying departments aren't so overloaded that they have to spill into hallways or other areas. I'm currently in a main hospital in Lake county Indiana which is "red", the worst classification. ER, ICU, IMCU all have empty rooms. I'm installing hardware to literally all the patient rooms currently.
My mother was in for ankle surgery recently. She had ti have two surgeries. She was sent home after the first even though normally she wouldn't have been because of Covid. When she returned for the second surgery she had to wait in her car until a bed freed up. I imagine many hospitals are doing things that they normally wouldn't to keep crowding to a minimum.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Let's not forget the main reason why our current generation is predicted to have a shorter life expectancy (1st time ever I believe) is mental health.
Really? Check the thumbnail graph.

Let's not forget how poorly healthcare is treating covid as well, which is not blaming the healthcare workers themselves. Covid isn't treated until it gets bad and people need hospital care and that's completely unacceptable. You can treat covid early as outpatient to save hospitalizations but that isn't done in the US.
There are zero established treatments for "early" covid-19. Research is ongoing.

I also have not seen any overloaded departments in any of the hospitals the entire time from ER to ICU to IMCU, no patients in beds in hallways or anything like that.
It is certainly true that hospitals are places where plenty of people die. Whilst healthcare professionals are relatively used to people dying, that doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact on them. An awful lot of people more people are dying in hospitals than normal.

When we think about the logistics of medical care, different patients need different levels of care, and severe covid cases requiring intensive care are far more burdensome on staff time than a great deal of other patients. It is a mark of severe problems that hospitals are cancelling non-critical operations (and some hospitals even critical ones too) because they simply do not have the resources to continue. And that's one main reason the hospitals aren't overflowing with patients: they're telling a load of them not to turn up.

My local hospital is full. Every single ward for every area of medicine is giving up "spare" beds for covid cases, some of which have been made spare by telling patients expecting treatment that their operations have been postponed. The UK as a whole has a backlog of 4.5 million operations already, increasing as we speak, which it is somehow going to have to be cleared even after covid is over, so it's not going to end for them even after the pandemic may be tamed. And what the healthcare system being stretched to the limit means is that staff are stretched to the limit. Stress, unhappiness, burnout.

Attachments

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Why would they let you into patient rooms that had patients in them so you could expose them? Seems like they'd be shuffling patients around to keep get them out of the way.

Reactions: tippy2k2