CNN's "Doomsday" Broadcast Clip Finally Revealed

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
All they show is the clip of the band playing "Nearer, My God, to Thee". No voiceover, no graphics... the Gremlins 2 version was frankly closer to what I was expecting.

MovieBob said:
Exactly who is expected to be onhand at CNN in order to confirm or execute such a command in such circumstances is not immediately clear.
I laughed.

BrotherRool said:
I thought CNN was the left wing Fox? It's always the one the right-wing people point to when someones said something incredibly stupid. Even John Oliver was complaining about how poor it's journalism is.
Fox News viewers say that about everything that's not as overtly, unapologetically right-wing as Fox News. Likewise, the MSNBC crowd say it about anything that's not as overtly, unapologetically left-wing as MSNBC. I'd say Oliver is in the latter camp.

None of this precludes the possibility that CNN is closer to one side than the other, or just sucks at journalism in general as pretty much all American media does anymore.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
All they show is the clip of the band playing "Nearer, My God, to Thee". No voiceover, no graphics... the Gremlins 2 version was frankly closer to what I was expecting.

MovieBob said:
Exactly who is expected to be onhand at CNN in order to confirm or execute such a command in such circumstances is not immediately clear.
I laughed.

BrotherRool said:
I thought CNN was the left wing Fox? It's always the one the right-wing people point to when someones said something incredibly stupid. Even John Oliver was complaining about how poor it's journalism is.
Fox News viewers say that about everything that's not as overtly, unapologetically right-wing as Fox News. Likewise, the MSNBC crowd say it about anything that's not as overtly, unapologetically left-wing as MSNBC. I'd say Oliver is in the latter camp.

None of this precludes the possibility that CNN is closer to one side than the other, or just sucks at journalism in general as pretty much all American media does anymore.
I've seen some stats that suggested after FOX viewers, CNN viewers are a close second to being misinformed. And I've seen more CNN bs than I've seen MSNBC (Who I wasn't really aware existed :p) but it sounds like they could only ever be described as left-wing when it's incomparison to fox

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I've seen some stats that suggested after FOX viewers, CNN viewers are a close second to being misinformed. And I've seen more CNN bs than I've seen MSNBC (Who I wasn't really aware existed :p) but it sounds like they could only ever be described as left-wing when it's incomparison to fox
Well more people generally watch CNN due to the fact that CNN tends to report a lot more on pop culture stuff than the other two networks. CNN does lean more towards the American left, but MSNBC in terms of their political leaning is more akin to how Fox News' is more than anything; it's just that people don't really watch it as much. :p
It used to be more popular in the mid-2000s when Keith Olberman was on the network, but I think viewership of the station declined after he was taken off the air.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
BrotherRool said:
but it sounds like they could only ever be described as left-wing when it's incomparison to fox
To be fair, that description could also apply to practically any left-wing politician or pundit in America. On the whole we're pretty far to the right of the entire rest of the civilized world.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
ColaWarVeteran said:
This needs to be added to the next Fallout game in some way. Maybe have a special radio station that just plays Nearer My God To Thee.
You've rendered me speechless with this brilliant idea... o_O

If the world is going under like the Titanic, then I nominate myself as Molly Brown. Now get in the lifeboats!

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
CaptainMidlands said:
I'm not American so I don't understand this CNN bashing but for those questioning the doomsday aspect its not actually that surprising something like this was prepared.

For years the BBC has had a similar recording prepared in the event of Thermonuclear war and each prime minister of the UK writes a letter to be kept under lock and key on the 4 trident submarines to be opened and read in the event of the cabinet being taken out during an initial strike giving orders to the captains on what to do, these letters are then destroyed when a Prime Minister leaves office

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartime_Broadcasting_Service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_of_last_resort
That's pretty cool. Does the US have a similar system?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Please, there's only one video to play during the end of the world:
Ain't no reason to panic, but party!

Neronium said:
BrotherRool said:
No, you're thinking of MSNBC. CNN is the "cool and hip" news station that tries to stay relevant by reporting on things like pop culture, only to make them seem even more like those people who wear teen clothing to try to make themselves look younger.

OT: You know, I wouldn't put it past Ted Turner to ask for a broadcast like that to be made. Then again, whenever I think of Ted Turner I can't help but think of this:
Want to hear my theory of the Secret origins of Captain Planet?