COD WW2 doesnot have Regen health

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...erything-we-know-about-call-of-duty-wwii.aspx

Players do not recover health or ammo passively. You cannot simply get hit, hide behind some cover, and heal up. You need to call upon your squadmates to get health packs, ammunition, or even covering fire. This makes getting hit carry a significantly more weight than other Call of Duty titles, as taking a bullet has consequences every time.
this was unexpected. I never thought a day when a regen health removed from a COD game..

Well i would say thanks to success of Doom that even COD developer are ditching some of terrible modern design. last gen COD4 ruined FPS genre. this gen Doom re invented it and open door for other games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Lack of regenerating health?

Oh goodie, that changes my entire perspective on the game! Everything has changed! First day pre-order! Nachos for all!

In seriousness, I think that's a good move, but it's a drop in the bucket right now.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
If they do not seriously fix the style of the encounters then this will lead to more frustration than anything. I had not realized it until watching a few of Super Bunnyhop's videos on the more recent CODs, but the encounter design, NEEDS that regenerating health.

Personally I hope they go for bullet physics. A bit of delay between shot and damage will allow for so much more even if they do not change up the structure that much. Though I can already hear the back lash from its MP community when they realize their old tricks no longer work.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
OP, I'm not sure why you're so against regenerating health. It's a legitimate gameplay design decision.

The idea is that getting out of enemy fire (ie: behind cover) is supposed to replace the traditional floating spinning healthpacks that you would normally find in an 'oldschool' fps game.

Certainly it could be argued that hiding somewhere and wiping away the blood from your vision (which magically heals your bullet wounds after a few seconds) is not exactly very realistic, but hovering floating spinning healthpacks everywhere was never realistic either.

Pick your poison.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Ezekiel said:
IceForce said:
OP, I'm not sure why you're so against regenerating health. It's a legitimate gameplay design decision.

The idea is that getting out of enemy fire (ie: behind cover) is supposed to replace the traditional floating spinning healthpacks that you would normally find in an 'oldschool' fps game.

Certainly it could be argued that hiding somewhere and wiping away the blood from your vision (which magically heals your bullet wounds after a few seconds) is not exactly very realistic, but hovering floating spinning healthpacks everywhere was never realistic either.

Pick your poison.
Back when B-Cell and I were on GameTrailers, there was a gun fanatic who said health regen was originally supposed to present how vulnerable you are to gunfire. He said that the more you expose yourself, the more likely you are to get shot. As you take cover, the health regenerates, representing that you're out of harm's way. He said that the blood splatter effects from newer games have it wrong and that there are better ways to present your vulnerability. Basically, you only get shot once, by the bullet that kills you. I find that concept cool.
I'm pretty sure that's actually what the Brothers In Arms games do actually. Shame no other game tries to explain it that way, and instead gives you strawberry jam eyes.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
IceForce said:

Pick your poison.
I don't think realism is the main draw of health packs. Instead, as B-Cell said, it makes every hit you take carry more weight, since you can't just regenerate it, unless you find more health. It encourages you to respond to damage with pro-activity, rather than passivity. If you're low on health, you must take the risk of finding more health either through exploration, or aggression, if enemies can drop health. It forces you to put yourself in danger to get out being in the red zone and that can be a far more thrilling experience than passively waiting behind cover to regenerate your health.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Will they tone down "Veteran" difficulty? Cause they always have a "Beat the game on Veteran" achievement, and even with regenerating health doing that is a real pain. (Especially on the parts with...infinite enemies...FUCK YOU BLACK OPS 1!)

Edit: I liked the Halo games that had both. Shields as regenerating health, and then actual health that is vulnerable when out of shields. I believe 1 and Reach (the best Halos) did that. Though obviously having the power armor as an excuse isnt viable in WW2... (Though I guess EA disagrees...)

Nov 9, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Back when B-Cell and I were on GameTrailers, there was a gun fanatic who said health regen was originally supposed to present how vulnerable you are to gunfire. He said that the more you expose yourself, the more likely you are to get shot. As you take cover, the health regenerates, representing that you're out of harm's way. He said that the blood splatter effects from newer games have it wrong and that there are better ways to present your vulnerability. Basically, you only get shot once, by the bullet that kills you. I find that concept cool.
Wouldn't it be easier to make the game one shot, one kill? This heath regenerate/vulnerability system abstraction sounds more fit for a turned based game. Couldn't this be more easily represented by suppression system that a lot of shooters already have?

I think this system is more realistic, and realism is kind of necessary to prevent this game from being another shooting gallery. You would go to a medic who stops the bleeding and administers morphine, rather than you regenerating your body like a T-1000. Historical shooters that only do shooting are better off sticking more to realism, I'd say.

Feb 7, 2016
I fail to understand what everyone is so excited about.

I'm not just saying this to be a downer or to shit on something people are happy for.

How exactly do people plan on this being different from any other Call of Duty other than setting? The lack of regen health? Great. So you get the exact same firefights, except instead of waiting behind a wall for a few seconds so you can continue at least some of appropriate pace, you have to backtrack to a deadzone you've already been through to find a health pack, and run all the way back only to continue shooting some more.

And is this...going to change online at all? Obviously there isn't going to be any wall running, but I thought that actually ADDED to the fun of CoD online. Now what? We're going back to basic ground combat with everyone camping corners and scrambling for sniper positions? Yay...

I just don't see this going well. How much can you really pick out of WWII? Yes, I'm sure there were plenty of battles left untouched by games, but isn't there a reason for that?

And even if they could make the most uninteresting of battles interesting, it would either piss off the people who complain about realism or historical authenticity (in which case, why are looking for a video game to do that?), or piss off the people who will complain that it's still not interesting enough.

Feb 7, 2016
Ezekiel said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

I'm not just saying this to be a downer or to shit on something people are happy for.

How exactly do people plan on this being different from any other Call of Duty other than setting? The lack of regen health? Great. So you get the exact same firefights, except instead of waiting behind a wall for a few seconds so you can continue at least some of appropriate pace, you have to backtrack to a deadzone you've already been through to find a health pack, and run all the way back only to continue shooting some more.

And is this...going to change online at all? Obviously there isn't going to be any wall running, but I thought that actually ADDED to the fun of CoD online. Now what? We're going back to basic ground combat with everyone camping corners and scrambling for sniper positions? Yay...

I just don't see this going well. How much can you really pick out of WWII? Yes, I'm sure there were plenty of battles left untouched by games, but isn't there a reason for that?

And even if they could make the most uninteresting of battles interesting, it would either piss off the people who complain about realism or historical authenticity (in which case, why are looking for a video game to do that?), or piss off the people who will complain that it's still not interesting enough.
Who's excited? Anyone in this thread?

I'm not even gonna play it. I just like talking about it briefly. WWII is still overdone and I would honestly prefer more alternate timelines, fantasy shooters, futuristic shooters and non-military shooters.
I didn't exactly say "what everyone HERE is excited for".

But going by what some of the people I have on social media and judging from any of those countless youtube videos and trailers for the game, I'd say there's a lot of people excited. "Back to their roots" I see. "Good to see they are going back to when they were good" I see.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
I'm actually disappointed with this decision. I consider pure healthbars in shooters a very bad idea, and only the new DOOM, Halo Combat Evolved, and Reach did it right, but that was doom (and the halo hybrid system I found good). and I don't think you can be a marine on the beaches of Okinawa and bunny hop with bazookas and glory kill a japanese officer with his own katana.

Barring that, I HAVE played most of the Call of Dutys and I considered 1, United Offensive, and Finest Hour (All had health bars) to have the weakest gunplay of them all ( I love Finest Hour's combat and environments, but the health bar significantly detracts from it, especially with the fact the Germans in later levels can fire their Kars twice before cycling the bolt... I shit you not.). United Offensive especially as it was either play on easy or grind your way though levels of infinitely re spawning enemies scournging every last bit of health I can find just to survive the mission. It quickly changed from "Cool" to "Frustrating" to "Fuck this I'm done playing" very very quickly.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
A Fork said:
Wouldn't it be easier to make the game one shot, one kill? This heath regenerate/vulnerability system abstraction sounds more fit for a turned based game. Couldn't this be more easily represented by suppression system that a lot of shooters already have?
Like others said while the jam on screen goes against this interpretation, it actually is a representation of suppression that is more friendly for an arcade experience. You want health, but you want the skin of realism. IF they did not have the blood on screen as others said, then the idea that a predicable suppression holds merit as a skin over health. And this skin justifies the mechanics of this health, why it regens fast without medicine.

Like the shields in Halo 2 - 3 (from memory the ones without health packs and the second bar), its a recursive system justifies skin, skin justifies system.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
DeliveryGodNoah said:

Pretty much my exact thoughts on the subject.

I liked the direction the newer COD games were going. I liked the increased mobility and speed, and how it prevented camping. I like my high speed arcadey action.

This new game doesn't excite me at all.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
B-Cell said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...erything-we-know-about-call-of-duty-wwii.aspx

Players do not recover health or ammo passively. You cannot simply get hit, hide behind some cover, and heal up. You need to call upon your squadmates to get health packs, ammunition, or even covering fire. This makes getting hit carry a significantly more weight than other Call of Duty titles, as taking a bullet has consequences every time.
this was unexpected. I never thought a day when a regen health removed from a COD game..

Well i would say thanks to success of Doom that even COD developer are ditching some of terrible modern design. last gen COD4 ruined FPS genre. this gen Doom re invented it and open door for other games.
I don't think it's "terrible modern design" at all, I don't see anything wrong with regen health.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
GG to everyone who cant read between the lines.

You cannot simply get hit, hide behind some cover, and heal up. You need to call upon your squadmates to get health packs, ammunition, or even covering fire
This is going to be an interaction system. You ask for ammo or health and your ai buddy comes to you (or you go to him) and hold down a button initiating a short animation where things are traded or you're patched up. This is where my money is. So, its not going to be meaningful. Trading 'Sit in cover for x seconds' with 'find somewhere you can play this animation for x seconds'.