Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 3rd episode trailer

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
This is a pretty self explanatory post:

A new trailer for the Code Geass OVA, Akito the Exiled, has been released and shown here [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-19/code-geass-akito-the-exiled-3rd-episode-previewed-in-video/.82369]

I am of two minds of this. On one hand, it is good to see the old cast again and it's a nice chance to flesh out this world. On the other hand, my enthusiasm for this franchise has died after the recent failures of Valvrave, Buddy Complex, and Cross Ange. Add to that recent evaluation that pins the show in a less optimistic light and well, I'm not sure what to expect.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully they don't take a nosedive into stupid again. The first season I enjoyed as a mecha show, even if it thought it was way more clever than it actually turned out to be. The second season was just abysmal though, and not helped at all by the need to rehash the original season's opening and flip off anyone who wanted to see how the battle actually turned out at the end of S1.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Hopefully they don't take a nosedive into stupid again. The first season I enjoyed as a mecha show, even if it thought it was way more clever than it actually turned out to be. The second season was just abysmal though, and not helped at all by the need to rehash the original season's opening and flip off anyone who wanted to see how the battle actually turned out at the end of S1.
I see, I remeber watching the first two episodes of the OVA and they are serviceable and fun but i'm not sure what direction they can go.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I only saw the two anime seasons, I have no idea what's going on here. Is it a kind of tangential spin-off or a continuation? I thought Lelouch died at the end of the show, but here he has a covered eye, and his second one doesn't appear magic anymore....

Is this the only anime follow-up to the previous show, and would it be better to wait for it to get a dub (which I enjoyed watching for the original show) and run as a whole season?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Khanht Cope said:
I only saw the two anime seasons, I have no idea what's going on here. Is it a kind of tangential spin-off or a continuation? I thought Lelouch died at the end of the show, but here he has a covered eye, and his second one doesn't appear magic anymore....

Is this the only anime follow-up to the previous show, and would it be better to wait for it to get a dub (which I enjoyed watching for the original show) and run as a whole season?
Akito is a OVA set in the time period between the two seasons in Europe

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I'm pretty psyched to see the Lancelot again. Also I thought it was immensely clever to have Lelouch there since it just makes sense that while he's the Emperor's prisoner he'd be utilized. It'll also be interesting to see how our protagonists will have to deal with him as an enemy.

Also what does this have to do with Valvrave, Buddy Complex and Cross Ange exactly? Just cause those shows weren't good doesn't mean Akito won't be.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
I almost need to rewatch the other ovas its been so long since they came out. Im excited however to see another entry.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
I'm more concerned to why you'd ever think Cross Ange would have any potential to even be remotely decent.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
They sure take a long time in between episodes, I was starting to think it got canceled or something.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Risingblade said:
I'm more concerned to why you'd ever think Cross Ange would have any potential to even be remotely decent.
Fanservice and story are not mutually exclusive entities. I will still argue Kill la Kill as a prime example of mixing the two into a strong thematic narrative while making it's female characters likable and developed.

I had hoped, irrationally, that Sunrise could return to the former glory signified by Gundam Unicorn and make another mecha anime that changes the viewing landscape in a small way. At this point, hoping for that is like wishing on a Djinn; it will work but will horribly backfire.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Risingblade said:
To be fair, at this point it has become the kind of trainwreak that you can't look away from.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
Risingblade said:
Fanservice and story are not mutually exclusive entities. I will still argue Kill la Kill as a prime example of mixing the two into a strong thematic narrative while making it's female characters likable and developed.

I had hoped, irrationally, that Sunrise could return to the former glory signified by Gundam Unicorn and make another mecha anime that changes the viewing landscape in a small way. At this point, hoping for that is like wishing on a Djinn; it will work but will horribly backfire.
The fan service could have probably been looked over but once I saw they were rehashing Gundam Seed designs I knew this anime was doomed for meritocracy.