Code Geass R3 Confrimed

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
This is a bit of old news but recently, Code Geass R3 has been confirmed with a teaser from Sunrise

I am writing this topic to both state my opinions on this and to open discussion on if this is a good idea or not.

Personally, I find that Code Geass in hindsight is less of a quality anime than I thought. While the first season still holds up and I still love the VA performance for most of the characters, I find that the story by Ichiro Okuochi to be very weak in the second season. As the second season and his later work on Valvrave, Guilty Crown and Kabanari proved, he's a writer focused on sensationalism with no consideration for character consistency or logic of the narrative. He uses shock to impact the viewer but it often falls flat or is anger inducing due to it being contrary to what is established or being too brazen in content.

In addition, camera footage of the teaser that is out currently shows that it seems to be retreading old ground in terms of plot: terrorist attacks and rebellion. Given the ending of R2, this seems contrary to established lore of the series and almost seems like a reset. This gives me trepidation about the quality of the show.

On the other hand, after the disastrous Valvrave, Buddy Complex and Cross Ange, seeing Code Geass does generate a sense of nostalgic joy that Sunrise is back to it's glory. I do hope they don't mess this up

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I have to disagree with you about the quality. I consider it one of the better anime of it's era. Recently watched a "Sins" video and even the person sinning it kept removing sins for the series great moments. Plus, it had the most perfect ending of any anime ever. Often series, even relatively short series have trouble nailing the ending, but Code Geass manages to be perfect.

My only real complaint is the S2 started off almost rebooting the series, but even that isn't terrible and seems to be handled much better than I expected.

With all that being said, I find the new season a bit troublesome. First, there's the aforementioned perfect ending. And after seeing the leaked trailer, I can say that I'm still not convinced. It seems to undermine the ending. I actually theorized that the new series may take place years later with a now immortal Lelouch giving someone new a Geass, but the trailer seems to squash that. And Suzakku is gonna take off his Zero costume?

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic. I can see them screwing it up, or building upon it. Please build upon what you made. Seeing characters that I enjoyed will be nice, though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'll pass.

I came late to the CG party as I only started watching it when R2 came up and decided to watched it to see what is the habba is about given I'm into mech. Season 1 was alright and I too agreed with the less than stellar performance on season 2.

I did however read that season 2 suppose to started differently by the creator intented so it was the usual case of the conflict between the creator and the excutive which the creator loses. Bascually season 2 suppose to start right after season 1 in the midt of the battle, not a reboot. I already read that blondy owner of the academy girl was suppose to be given more character as a possible Lelouch love interest.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Honestly, while the sheer idea baffles me... Code Geass is my fave anime ever, and I'm not gonna pass up the idea of having more of it. But I'm cautiously optimistic about what they'll do with it. I only wonder two things...
1. What more could possibly occur at this point?
2. How are they gonna fit the ending into it all? I know that it's possible Lelouche became immortal by the end of season 2, and that he merely went into hiding. But, with what he did to bring the world together... why would he come back to topple all of it once again?

It's a very confusing idea, but I look forward to seeing what happens. If it all sucks ass, it wouldn't be hard to head canon the original ending as being the proper one anyways

Odeyevich

Sep 26, 2017
It has been 10 years since the initial Code Geass: Lelouch of this Rebellion was aired and the series has garnered a loyal following. After two seasons of this anime, I've always considedred it to be completely finished. All subsequent functions in the franchise were spin-offs with fresh characters. To to be honest I don't very much like the idea of a full-blown sequel.

However, it was announced at the Code Geass 10th anniversary event held in Maihama, Japan on November 27 local time that the one and only Lelouch vi Britannia will be revived at a true sequel to the first series of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. The story is going to be set a few years after Zero Requiem. It's unclear if the job will be a TV anime or even a film. In addition, a 3-part movie compilation of the first two seasons of Code Geass: Lelouch of this Rebellion has also be declared. The films will include unaired scenes and voice-over has been completely re-recorded. The first film will air in January 2017. Don't know how I fell about this. Already discussed the hell out of it on http://codegeassforum.com/ The opinions divides roughly 50/50, and so far I remain sceptical, but damn, I miss C.C.!

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
wasn't it confirmed quite a long while ago? either way I'm hype enough. quality or not, it left a mark on me when it aired, and I followed it to the end. It's not exactly a series I engage with on a super deep level, but it's never boring to watch!

inu-kun said:
What do you mean? Code Geass has a lot of QUALITY.

I'm optimistic, Suzaku might die and it will be totes worth it.
Replace Suzaku with Ohgi, and you have my feelings, exactly... that guy managed to go from the most relateable member of the cast to the most despicable for me.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
inu-kun said:
I'm optimistic, Suzaku might die and it will be totes worth it.
I don't know, I think his fate at the end of R2 is some good old fashioned ancient Grecian irony.

Suzaku is a death seeker, looking to die for his sins. Not only does the ending deny him the death he so badly wants, he is forced to live on as the embodiment of everything he stands against.

From his pov, that's a fate worse than death.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
President Bagel said:
Code Geass is a fantastic series, but it really doesn't need a continuation. The second season offered a perfectly excellent ending. Why exactly do we need more?
Pretty much this. The series saw its natural conclusion. Why add more?

The last time I saw an anime sequel that followed in the footsteps of a highly satisfying conclusion was Madoka Magica Rebellion. That didn't go very well for me.
Can't agree with this though. Personally, I loved Rebellion and the new direction it took the franchise. My only complaint is that we were left hanging with not follow-up. Individual tastes though, I guess.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
President Bagel said:
Code Geass is a fantastic series, but it really doesn't need a continuation. The second season offered a perfectly excellent ending. Why exactly do we need more?

The last time I saw an anime sequel that followed in the footsteps of a highly satisfying conclusion was Madoka Magica Rebellion. That didn't go very well for me.
Can't agree with this though. Personally, I loved Rebellion and the new direction it took the franchise. My only complaint is that we were left hanging with not follow-up. Individual tastes though, I guess.
Well you can say the same thing about Madoka continuing. It wasn't supposed to get a sequel, but it did and it was a bit polarizing. And now there's going to be a another movie to address the ending that should have been the ending.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Marik2 said:
TakerFoxx said:
President Bagel said:

Well you can say the same thing about Madoka continuing. It wasn't supposed to get a sequel, but it did and it was a bit polarizing. And now there's going to be a another movie to address the ending that should have been the ending.
The difference between the two is that Code Geass ended on a definitive note. All the major antagonists were defeated, Lelouch's sacrifice worked, the empire is united behind Nunnally, and only a small handful of questions are left unanswered.

Madoka's ending was fine and emotionally satisfying, but was so open ended with so many questions left unanswered that a follow-up just feels natural. And personally I loved the movie. Sure it was polarizing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since it invokes discussion. And I really liked the surrealism of it all and thought that the twist was great. Other people may disagree, but that's cool. It's so out there that it's to be expected.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
President Bagel said:
Rebellion spoilers

I want to love the movie for its incredible music, animation, action sequences, and generally excellent writing, but the ending was just so unbelievably screwy and out of left field. It felt like a complete slap in the face, as I felt it undermined Homura's strong character development and moral compass. But I can still acknowledge and appreciate its technical qualities, and really think it should have gotten a best animated movie nomination. The fact that it left me feeling emotionally drained and unsatisfied is entirely subjective.
My personal thoughts on the Rebellion twist.

While I get why people were turned off by the twist as it completely went against the show's themes of redemption and hope in the face of the impossible, for me personally those themes weren't the selling the point while the superb character development was. And to be honest, I found Homura's actions to be completely in line with her character. I know she's been propped up as this strong, resolute character utterly devoted to Madoka's salvation (which, to be fair, she was), but the series also took pains to show just how broken she was inside and how completely ruthless she had become. Remember the scene where she was all set to murder Madoka's best friend because her personal downfall was giving Madoka stress? Or when she outright told Madoka to write off Mami and Sayaka's deaths because it was their own fault? Granted, these actions were understandable in light of the things she went through, but it cannot be said that they came from someone who was mentally, emotionally, and morally sound.

In short, I feel that over the course of her timeloops, Homura had become obsessed with Madoka as an ideal rather than Madoka as a person that could make her own choices. It's heavily implied that the reason she gave into despair and became a witch was because she was wracked with guilt over allowing Madoka to become Godoka and lose her humanity, even if it was Madoka's choice to do so and ultimately worked out for the betterment of everyone. And after being further tormented during the first half of Rebellion with all that happened in having her perfect fantasy ripped away and realizing just how much Kyubey had screwed her and Madoka over, she had snapped. She was done. Kyubey's machinations were no longer going to be tolerated, and since Madoka had shown to not be safe from his reach even in her divine state, then Homura was going to tear her out of it and put her in a box. And if doing so meant that she was evil, then so be it. Life had kicked her around so long that she was going to start kicking back.

Also, I was always more invested in Sayaka and Kyoko's story than Madoka and Homura's, so seeing them alive and happy together won major points in my book. :p

But it still needs a goddamn followup, because c'mon.