Coen Brothers Refuse To Film Big Lebowski Sequel

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Coen Brothers Refuse To Film Big Lebowski Sequel

Don't expect to see a new Big Lebowski film any time soon.

To date, The Big Lebowski is easily the most successful film created by Joel and Ethan Coen. Initially a cult classic, the film's following grew to such huge proportions that it's now best described as a legitimately classic film. It's infinitely quotable, smart, and features fantastic acting from a cast full of thespians whose collective Hollywood acclaim is simply massive. Despite all of this, we won't ever be lining up for tickets to The Big Lebowski 2.

In a press conference at Cannes, the Coen Brothers shot down the idea of a sequel, saying that they simply don't make such films. "John Turturro, who wants it, talks to us incessantly about doing a sequel about his character Jesus," states Ethan Coen. "He even has the story worked out, which he's pitched to us a few times, but I can't really remember it."

"No, I don't see it in our future," Coen adds.

Joel Coen puts things in more concrete, succinct terms: "I don't think it's going to happen ... I just don't like sequels."

On the one hand, it's sad that we won't see another Big Lebowski film. The characters of that movie and the world they inhabit is endlessly interesting, and almost any member of the cast could support his or her own spin-off. That said, I've gained a lot of respect for the Coens and their stance on sequels. Hollywood is so quick to churn out infinite follow-up movies whenever something proves a hit, so by taking a stand against that idea in favor of telling a story for that story's sake proves that the Coens are not really in it for the money, but are instead more interested in artistic fulfillment. That's refreshing, if for no other reason than it's exceedingly, depressingly rare.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/no-big-lebowski-sequels-say-the-coen-brothers]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Ehhh... Whilst I generally agree that there are too many sequels, I think their stance is possibly a bit too far the other way. I really do think a sequel could be good but I'm not bothered, so long as they're working on other projects.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Good on them. Great to see a group of writers sticking to their guns, and not letting things such as money get in the way of things, and ruining a thoroughly good, standalone film.

I'm not a fan of any of their other films, but they still have my respect.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I'm glad that they're not planning to make a sequel, because that movie works on its own. I didn't like the Jesus character much, and everyone who did that movie is getting rather old(I mean, come on guys, it's been over ten years). I want to see what other stuff these guys can come up with.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Let me get this straight: a 15-year-old movie, to which no sequel has ever been hinted at, by a pair of filmmakers who have never done a sequel, isn't getting a sequel that wasn't announced? Geez, next thing you know, we'll be getting announcements that sequels aren't being made for Pleasantville, Saving Private Ryan, and You've Got Mail. What a shocker.

I'd happily pay to see a sequel to The Truman Show though, focusing on his life in the real world and the potential difficulty of a life of unwanted fame.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I almost used A Bug's Life as an example, until I remembered that Pixar has been making sequels like crazy lately.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Definitely for the best. The Big Lebowski is one of my favorite comedies and I feel like it's perfect. A sequel might be able to match it, but it wouldn't be better, and if you can't make the sequel better than the original then why make it at all?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Remember when Tara Reid announced she was going to be in The Big Lebowski 2? And the Coen Brothers mocked the Hell out of her? Good times.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, respect is certainly the word. They made what would be a difficult choice to many but likely the correct one.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
I just don't see the need for a sequel. Not everything needs to be turned into an ongoing franchise. Some stuff can stand on its own, complete and finished, and that's perfectly fine.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Good. That movie was boring. Everyone went on about how great it was. An i watched it and it was just boring.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
And this is why I love the Coen Bros.
(aside from their writing and directing talent)
SonOfVoorhees said:
Good. That movie was boring. Everyone went on about how great it was. An i watched it and it was just boring.
Do you even know the meaning of the term "Philistine"?
I'm sure you and Mr. Bay will be very happy together.
:p

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Good. Why the fuck would anyone want a sequel to The Big Lebowski anyway?

captcha: beyond me

It's beyond me too, you magnificent AI.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Excellent, I really liked the movie.
I can't imagine why anyone would want a sequel to that movie though.
I just really liked the character.

Let the dude have his mysteries.

Oh and the Coen brothers should have responded with: ''Yeah, well. Y'know, that's just like uuhh...your opinion man.''

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
It's been way too long for them to just pick back from where they left off and try to get lightning to strike twice. I mean, people have thrown so much love at this movie that the sequel could never live up to the hype, even if the Coen brothers made it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Covarr said:
Let me get this straight: a 15-year-old movie, to which no sequel has ever been hinted at, by a pair of filmmakers who have never done a sequel, isn't getting a sequel that wasn't announced? Geez, next thing you know, we'll be getting announcements that sequels aren't being made for Pleasantville, Saving Private Ryan, and You've Got Mail. What a shocker.

I'd happily pay to see a sequel to The Truman Show though, focusing on his life in the real world and the potential difficulty of a life of unwanted fame.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I almost used A Bug's Life as an example, until I remembered that Pixar has been making sequels like crazy lately.
Actually, rumors have been flying around for some time of a sequel(the big one was it was gonna be about the Dude's son mentioned at the end of the film finding the Dude). This killed all those rumors.