Cogito ergo sum: Give me authors.

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
Hey everyone, over the past couple of years, I have noticed that my amount of reading (used to be 2-4 books a week) has dwindled to a big fat zero, and so I am turning to the escapist for any recommendations. It'd be really helpful if you could point me in the direction of some good authors/books/series, the bigger the better.

I am a fan of Terry Pratchett, Garth Nix, Phillip Pullman, and have read most of their works, so if you can recommend anything by them/ similar to their stuff, that would be good, but don't just recommend me fantasy stuff, it just happens to be the genre im most comfortable with. The more the merrier :)

So please, as many books/styles/series' you can think of, I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. :)

Jun 13, 2009
The "Song of Ice and Fire" series is keeping me pretty entertained right now, and my reading list is similar to yours so it might appeal to you too.

Also "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness", set in the stone age about a young boy named Torak with a mysterious ability. Good stuff there too.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Vladmir Nabokov's "Lolita". Everyone should read it at least once.

and Twilight! olololololol.

Seriously though, if you don't read anything by Knaak the Warcraft novels are okay for your fantasy fix. Knaak is...a little obsessed with his dragons and that pulls them down somewhat.

romitelli

Jan 2, 2008
The last 3 books I've read were Garcia Marquez's "100 years of solitude", which was awesome; "Gomorra", about the napolitan mafia, which was O.K.; and "The Brothers Karamazóv", which is in my top 10 of the best books I have read.

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
Dean Koontz is a great writer if you just want to be entertained. I'd suggest you get your hands on Phantoms. It's the first one I read, and still my favorite, and I've been in love with his writing ever since.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Basically anything from Paula Volsky. I love her style. The characters she makes are really great.
My favorite book by her is The Wolf of Winter.

Tossth Esalad

Jul 11, 2009
My favourite author of all times is Valerio Massimo Manfredi. He has written quite a bit, and his books are great. He writes about historical figures in ancient greece and such, so it isn't as far removed from fantasy as other genres might be.

Wikipedia!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerio_Massimo_Manfredi

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers is quite good, although a bit heavy going. It's the book the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are based on except it was an alien visitation an not the Chernobyl disaster. Make sure you find a good translation since the original is in Russian.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
i'd recommend Catch-22, by joseph heller. i'm reading it just now, and the satire is actually quite funny.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Ironic said:
Hey everyone, over the past couple of years, I have noticed that my amount of reading (used to be 2-4 books a week) has dwindled to a big fat zero, and so I am turning to the escapist for any recommendations. It'd be really helpful if you could point me in the direction of some good authors/books/series, the bigger the better.

I am a fan of Terry Pratchett, Garth Nix, Phillip Pullman, and have read most of their works, so if you can recommend anything by them/ similar to their stuff, that would be good, but don't just recommend me fantasy stuff, it just happens to be the genre im most comfortable with. The more the merrier :)

So please, as many books/styles/series' you can think of, I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. :)
Right, you are a fan of Pullman/Pratchett/Nix, you say? In which case you have much the same tastes as me (The Old Kingdom books are amazing, the Keys to the Kingdom are great, I'm re-reading the entire Discworld series as of now in order, and I've always been a huge fan of the His Dark Materials trilogy).

Anyway, as a result I'll recommend my own favourite books, since they're ones you're likely to enjoy given your apparent tastes in reading. First, my personal favourite, Ian Irvine and his Three Worlds Cycle. It's a big load to red, with eleven books so far each of over 600 pages, but it's one of the best series I've read for a long time (start with A Shadow On The Glass). Then, I'd also recommend anything by Anthony Horowitz, especially his Power of Five series. Finally, although I haven't read anything by Ian Ramkin myself, I'd imagine you'll enjoy that, I've heard great things about Ian Ramkin's works. Definitely worth a look at any rate.

McScruffy

Jul 24, 2009
Stephen King is an excellent horror write (doesn't need to be said, but meh). I'm currently reading It, and it's amazing. Douglas Adams is another great writer, check out both the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and his Dirk Gently books. Excellent reads. Also, if you haven't, check out the Dragonlance books by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Great pair of writers there. The first set is Chronicles so start out there. I'll add any more if I think of em.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Amnestic said:
Vladmir Nabokov's "Lolita". Everyone should read it at least once.

and Twilight! olololololol.

Seriously though, if you don't read anything by Knaak the Warcraft novels are okay for your fantasy fix. Knaak is...a little obsessed with his dragons and that pulls them down somewhat.
Don't forget the time travelling mages that have the ability to make Elf women fall in love with them at first sight.

[small]*Twitch*[/small]

*Twitch*

RHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONIN!

If you haven't read Good Omens, you should. It's a collaboration between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Have you tried The Artemis Fowl series,The Saga of Darren Shan or The Demonata Series?

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Purely because I love the books. The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Not what you are looking for granted but trust me give them a go.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
So he might not be the best writer in existence but I do recommend that you check out H.P Lovecraft. His writing style may be a little dry for some but if you feel like you have a good imagination you should check out his stuff. He wrote mostly short stories so finding all of his works is pretty hard. I lucked out and found a 900 page odd book with (I think) every story he has had published, one of the best purchases I have ever made.

The Lord of The Rings is classic fantasy although you have probably read those.

At the moment I'm reading Dune and really enjoying it. I highly recommend also checking that out and if you like you can read the extended universe novels like Children of Dune.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Right now I am enjoying Stephen King. If you haven't read any of his books I suggest you try it. My personal favorite of his is "Duma Key."