Cold War 2.0 or WWIII?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This topic is arguably broader than it should be, but, well, too late now.

So recently, the Australian government has decided to invest heavily in defence with the "threat" of China. By itself, I wouldn't post a thread on this, because despite what some people may claim, the idea of Australia matching China militarily is laughable. But there's been various comments about how the world now is in a similar situation as it was in the 1930s. Never directly spoken, but the insinuation is that China is to the world what Nazi Germany was to Europe - a rising, aggressive power bent on expanding its territory.

Personally, I find that spurious. However one feels about China, about the Ughyrs, or Hong Kong, or its own state aparatus, China's mostly been content to operate within its own borders. Yes, there's the issues of the South China Sea, and accustations of pursuing colonial policy (mainly in Africa, but you can cite other examples, such as Sri Lanka), but Nazi Germany? Really? This isn't semantics about fascism vs. communism, it's the idea of territorial expansion. I'm not trying to play a game of whataboutism, but at the least, China hasn't engaged in the same misadventures the United States has over the last two decades. There's no China's equivalent of Iraq, or having a role similar to NATO in Libya. Heck, Russia arguably makes the better equivalent since it did perform a land grab in Crimea. So if anything, if I was making analogy to prior war, it would be the Cold War. Only instead of the Soviet Union being the main go-to for communism, China is the one promoting its own model of development.

Truth be told, I'm often iffy about the "threat" of China. I'm not excusing its human rights abuses, but again, this isn't some imperial power, at least in what we might consider conventional imperialism (and when I say that, I'm referring to the entirety of human history, where empires grow by force most of the time. Frankly, it strikes me as bizzare that we're trying to invest in military hardware that wouldn't change anything if China DID invade, when we could be spending that money on, I dunno, renewable energy (but of course I'd say that). Also, there's the idea of a multipolar world, as opposed to the Cold War paradigm that lasted for decades. Yes, China is behaving badly. But what else is going on? Well, Iran and Saudi Arabia have been waging their own cold war, and Yemen's paid the price. Israel is playing with fire right now with its annexation of more territory in the West Bank, and Turkey's declared that Jerusalem is their red line. Turkey itself is asserting itself on the world stage as well. Or, going back to China, the recent skirmish between it and India, not to mention the tensions between India and Pakistan, even casting aside Khasmir. And that's not covering intercine wars within and between countries.

I guess the TL, DR version of this is whether you think the situation with China is reminiscent of the 30s, or whether we're in a new Cold War, or on the cusp of one. And if either of these sentiments are true, how concerned should we be?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Well, it’s complicated. From a purely class based analysis, I don’t see it happening. More likely a Reichstag fire type of event happens in the US and that kicks of us going nuts then us getting mad at the Chinese killing poor Muslims.
But, realizing that sometimes the illusory entities we call nations actually matter, and taking a realpolitik/neo-realpolitik kind of perspective, America is clearly a waning power and China is definitely a waxing one. A conflict is more likely than a peaceful change in hegemony. I don’t know if we’re at that point yet, but with the multiple crisis hitting the US in rapid succession we could hit it very fast, and the more unstable politics are when the two pass one another the more likely conflict is to occur.
As far as a new Cold War? No. Competition and normal politics, sure, but not something comparable to the Cold War, there really isn’t the ideological or material motives to perpetuate such a thing.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The emergence of China as a rising superpower leads to a lot of tensions in international relations and a shift in alliances but any hostility between the ruling nations will never be overt only subversive either through economic pressures, subterfuge or economic pressures. The world is too co-dependent to ever seriously risk these long supply routes and relations are too important to seriously risk destabilization. There is also the ever lingering threat of nuclear weapons so direct confrontation is impossible under any scenario(accidents could still happen ofcourse however unlikely; that is why the cancellation of arms control treaties is so risky). Take for example the recent conflict in Syria that involved so many state actors a diplomatic incident is easily made(like when Turkey shot down that Russian jet for example) but it's almost immediately defused. The stakes are simply too high. There is also not the unimportant fact that first world nations by and large have old populations, and that includes China.

The world doesn't look like the one in 1930 in any single aspect. But ofcourse, human nature stays the same. The same sentiments then are the same sentiments now. But when the circumstances are completely different so is the outcome.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So recently, the Australian government has decided to invest heavily in defence with the "threat" of China. By itself, I wouldn't post a thread on this, because despite what some people may claim, the idea of Australia matching China militarily is laughable.
Yes and no. On one hand, yes, Australia is much smaller than China and all, but on the other, Australia is rather far away. Australia doesn't need to defeat China to win, it needs to make China's logistical challenge of attacking Australia go from "really hard" to "too hard". By comparison, the Argentinian Army and Marines couldn't compete with the UK's Army or Marines, but the Argentinian Air Force could compete with British transport ships.

Personally, the way things are going, I'd say that building up Australia's military to defend against China (or some other power) is a good idea. China might not be threatening Australia just yet, but that can change a lot faster than building up a military can.

That's not to say I'm expecting WW3, but it's something to be concerned about.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I find that spurious. However one feels about China, about the Ughyrs, or Hong Kong, or its own state aparatus, China's mostly been content to operate within its own borders.
From the perspective of us quite geographically far away, yes. But for the countries bordering China, the Chinese government has a tendency to redefine where those borders are to suit itself.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I would say that it depends on if the USA allows itself to succumb to what's been happening to it for the past 15 or so years. If the country continues to waste its time and resources on pointless and detrimental policies then it will likely break itself and China can rise up without having to fight someone.

But if America can somehow get its act together then it can stop it's downward trend and not lose its spot. So then whether there is a war will depend on what China does.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
I would say that it depends on if the USA allows itself to succumb to what's been happening to it for the past 15 or so years. If the country continues to waste its time and resources on pointless and detrimental policies then it will likely break itself and China can rise up without having to fight someone.

But if America can somehow get its act together then it can stop it's downward trend and not lose its spot. So then whether there is a war will depend on what China does.
I suspect that China will not directly engage in military action offensively, at least not without a substantial change in circumstances that effectively necessitates it to do so. Rather, I suspect they will operate on a "client-state" model of domination similar to the US and Russia, whereby countries themselves are not formally under the control of China, but rather the country exerts substantial economic and political power within the country to influence its politics. Foreign aid, loans, infrastructure projects, etc. are all means of creating this client-state relationship and China's Belt and Road Initiative (AKA the New Silk Road) is very much a means of achieving this, made easier by the US's retreat from such project's in recent years.

As for Australia itself, I suspect it is suspecting that many nations in between itself and China will become these client-states in the long term absent the US getting its head out of its ass on Asia-Pacific foreign policy. Obama's pivot to Asia and the Trans Pacific Partnership were designed to insure long term-US influence in the region to counter Chinese military and economic aggression. Trump's apparent disinterest in long-term foreign policy as well as a retributive disdain for any policy initiative with Obama's name attached to it (with assistance from progressives who's dislike of the TPP's environmental and labor provisions clouded what was primarily a policy designed to counter Chinese dominance over the region) effectively ended what was a clear policy of insuring that there was a counterforce to hostile Chinese interests in the region.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
So recently, the Australian government has decided to invest heavily in defence with the "threat" of China. By itself, I wouldn't post a thread on this, because despite what some people may claim, the idea of Australia matching China militarily is laughable.
I don't know man, having Australia means you get an extra 2 reinforcements per round, thats super handy to have and China won't get anything unless they hold all of Asia

Reactions: Trunkage and Hawki

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I don't know man, having Australia means you get an extra 2 reinforcements per round, thats super handy to have and China won't get anything unless they hold all of Asia
But China has Future Bonus, meaning they have half cost to the Foundry and Officer Training. Better troops with more advanced weaponry? You sure you want to roll those dice?

Reactions: Hawki

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
But China has Future Bonus, meaning they have half cost to the Foundry and Officer Training. Better troops with more advanced weaponry? You sure you want to roll those dice?
I was going for a humble Risk joke, afraid you've out strategised me with all them fancy terms

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sadly, I am confident in my countries willingness to go into other countries and kill non-white people. So I think, no matter is happening at home, if it comes to the point where someone needs to go shoot China in the face, the US will happily volunteer.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
What a regressive way of putting it.
I live in The South, and work in Veteran's Affairs, I spend most of my waking, work days with the people who have been the ones that go over there and shoot the Other People. And for a not insignificant percentage of them, they REALLY enjoy the killing of non-Americans, the whole war thing. It's their bread and butter. They wrap their patriotism and their religion and their hostile nature into this crazy hydra of violence. Granted, there are fewer of them these days, that behave and think in a way that reflects this, at least from my personal experience. But, there's still more than enough to make me confident if Uncle Sam sent out the call for people to go attack China, they would gleefully answer. They'd probably say shit like "Let's get for giving us Covid!" and other insane bullshit. I mean, they already talk like that right now about it, so it's hardly speculation really.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm not trying to play a game of whataboutism, but at the least, China hasn't engaged in the same misadventures the United States has over the last two decades. There's no China's equivalent of Iraq, or having a role similar to NATO in Libya.
Is that because it has no ideological interest in doing so, or simply because it has lacked the power to do so? I wouldn't like to gamble my country's future on assuming the former.

China has basically no ability to carry out extensive operations far from its borders currently, so obviously it hasn't done so. But its actions around its borders should leave no-one with the illusion that it isn't burgeoning with potential threat. Threats to Taiwan, obscene territory grabs in the South China Sea, unilateral claims over Japanese waters, starting border wars and scuffles with India. China surely is building up its military, and in not too long it will have substantial ability to carry out operations outside its borders. And the thing about having a tool available is that eventually someone is going to use it just because it's there to be used.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I live in The South, and work in Veteran's Affairs, I spend most of my waking, work days with the people who have been the ones that go over there and shoot the Other People. And for a not insignificant percentage of them, they REALLY enjoy the killing of non-Americans, the whole war thing. It's their bread and butter. They wrap their patriotism and their religion and their hostile nature into this crazy hydra of violence.
What does that have to do with race though? The Nazi's were pretty white and there was still just as much of that when it concerned killing them. The Soviets also had a lot of Caucasians in their ranks and it didn't stop a lot of hatred for them in the Cold War. Seems that the common theme isn't ethnicity but the whether the people are "the enemy". It's kind of hard for us not to be fighting non white people when only, what, 8-10% of the population of the world is people with white skin. You need to give more details than that if you want to show racism.

Granted, there are fewer of them these days, that behave and think in a way that reflects this, at least from my personal experience. But, there's still more than enough to make me confident if Uncle Sam sent out the call for people to go attack China, they would gleefully answer. They'd probably say shit like "Let's get for giving us Covid!" and other insane bullshit. I mean, they already talk like that right now about it, so it's hardly speculation really.
Sounds like mindless patriotism to me rather than genetically inbuilt racism.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
When did I say anything about genetically inbuilt racism?

Really? People more than happy to go kill the Chinese has nothing to do with race?
Chinese is a nationality as well as a race, and nothing you said indicated that they were willing to do so because they want to kill the Chinese because of their race.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
By comparison, the Argentinian Army and Marines couldn't compete with the UK's Army or Marines, but the Argentinian Air Force could compete with British transport ships.
But the UK still won the Falklands, so...

(Yes, I realize I'm potentially invalidating my own points.)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
China is buying a lot of countries off. Saying that similar to the Nazi is historically not remotely true. It’s way closer to the Marshall plan than anything else. That was very effective at restricting ideas and potential, limiting it to one ideal with a few variations. It made sure that US got businesses inside lots of countries, controlling large swathes of foreign countries. It also means that the US is willing to pull the trigger on a violent approach that anything else looks tame.

That being said: Hong Kong secret police can now detain Foreigners for subversion. Possibly even outside of China. The US is not the beacon of Freedom they pretend to be. They’re not that bad