Coldest Spot On Earth Found In Antarctica

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I wonder how quickly someone would freeze to death if left in one of those spots...

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
This just in! The hottest spot in our system turns out to be the sun!

While obvious results are obvious, it's still fun to find out more about our earth. I mean, after all, our world is not just covered with a single biome, like the planets depicted in that one particular franchise:

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Nice. almost -100C. we could almost freeze-boil water. Jokes aside, that is good, we do have a very cold spot where we can keep The Blob from escaping. i need to make use of this, but first lets clear that antarctica secret nazi base out of there.

Pebkio said:
To be fair, I am kinda confused by the "winter months" bit. Isn't there months where the sun doesn't shine on Antartica at all? In the summer months (when the Northen Hemisphere is hogging all the good angles)? That's not when it gets the coldest?
No, your thinking about arctic region, the opposite side of the earth. The south always gets the sund due to how "slanted" earth axis is.

Yuuki said:
I wonder how quickly someone would freeze to death if left in one of those spots...
Depends on clothes, rest, food supply, amount of fats in the person, windchill, and a bunch of other factors really.
Id say quickly.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Coldest place on Earth and only place in which it is safe to house the unholy shapeshifting abominations.

Seriously, The Thing, Shoggths, the creatures from Extermination...

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Strazdas said:
No, your thinking about arctic region, the opposite side of the earth. The south always gets the sund due to how "slanted" earth axis is.
No. The earth tilts around its center. When Antarctica has midnight sun, the Arctic is in darkness, and vice versa.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Pebkio said:
To be fair, I am kinda confused by the "winter months" bit. Isn't there months where the sun doesn't shine on Antartica at all? In the summer months (when the Northen Hemisphere is hogging all the good angles)? That's not when it gets the coldest?
I also thought that coldest time would be right before sunrise, but maybe it has something to do with warm air and water currents that prevent area from reaching coldest temperature.