Colin Farrell May Star in Warcraft Movie

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Colin Farrell May Star in Warcraft Movie

Mission Impossible 4's Paula Patton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Patton] is also reportedly negotiating for a lead role.

Rumors are going around that Hollywood pretty boy Colin Farrell may have a lead role in Legendary Pictures upcoming Warcraft film adaption. Additionally, Paula Patton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Patton], best known for her role in the latest Mission Impossible flick, is reportedly already negotiating for a lead role.

The rumor comes from Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/legendary-world-of-warcraft-paula-patton-colin-farrell/], whose "inside sources" claim that a deal has been offered to Farrell, and it's about "50/50" on whether he will accept it or not. Farrell is best known for his work in movies such as Phone Booth and S.W.A.T, and has most recently starred in the Total Recall remake.

Farrell seems like a bit of an odd choice - his only experience in this kind of genre is the critically panned box office failure Alexander [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_(film)]. Blizzard are keeping a pretty tight lid on the film's script, so we're not sure if Farrell and Patton will be playing new characters created for the movie, or established names from Warcraft lore. Could Farrell be the movie's Arthas?

The Warcraft movie has been a long time coming, mostly due to Blizzard's extreme over-protection of the franchise. Sam Rami was initially signed on to direct, but when he got frustrated and left, Moon director Duncan Jones was brought on.

Jones seems to be moving the movie along quite a bit, with pre-production already underway and filming scheduled to start as early as next January for a 2015 release.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/legendary-world-of-warcraft-paula-patton-colin-farrell/]

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Just hire the lord of the rings staff, give it a wow twist and have peter jackson direct it

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
To be fair, Colin Farrel was brilliant in Alexander, it was just not the type of movie the public liked.

He can play whoever he likes, as long as they get [EDIT] Ron Pearlman to play Thrall and Bruce Cambell to play Varian Chin.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
I feel like this movie is set up for failure/disappointment no matter who writes the script, and who's in it. Warcraft's lore is too complex and fan base is so large that no matter the outcome, they're bound to piss someone off. That being said, I really wish I'm wrong about this and it turns out to be a huge success.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I have a couple of concerns as to what sort of Colin Farrell we'll get (Bullseye in "Daredevil" CF where didn't see an actor, I saw a character -OR- what's-his-face in "Total Recall" where he just kind of snoozed through the movie) and who he'll play but I will remain optimistic until I see trailers.

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
Colin Farrell is a good actor, In Bruges comes to mind. That's a really good movie, although far from high fantasy. But considering his accent, I think he could make a great dwarf.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Dude, if they take advantage of his character acting skills, this choice is the bomb. Hell I don't even play Wow and I would see this movie is Colin Farrell stars.

Unless he is playing generic white warrior number 305. Wasted opportunity.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
The Warcraft movie has been a long time coming, mostly due to Blizzard's extreme over-protection of the franchise.
That's part of the reason I'm hopeful it will be good. I'm completely convinced that the vast majority of movie adaptations of video games are rubbish is because they simply sign away too much control to people who don't care about the original work apart from it having a fanbase. I'm also cautiously optimistic about this, Farrell is a pretty good character actor. Just hope they put him in the correct role. Looking forward to news about what in the lore the movie is going to be about, considering the scope of it.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Dendio said:
Just hire the lord of the rings staff, give it a wow twist and have peter jackson direct it
That's my reaction to this verbatim. I just don't see how that could go wrong...

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well let's be honest, just like always it will be Colin Farrell's eyebrows that will be staring in the Warcraft film.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Huh so I guess this is going to be a live action film? I had always assumed that it would be 3D animation.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm more concerned Duncan Jones took over from Sam Raimi.

I really love Raimi, and I think he could do a great job with a Warcraft movie because the Warcraft universe seems very... I dunno, Raimi-ish. Not too serious, but kind of serious at the same time? Sort of just a lot of silly stuff.

That said, Moon was an incredible movie. But Duncan Jones has such a different style from Raimi I'm not really sure what, if anything, he could do with his leftovers.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
My wish for this movies setting is that they continue were Warcraft III The Frozen Throne stopped.

Basically I want my Warcraft IV, game or movie doesn't matter. So I'm wishing they make a pararell story to WoWs continuity of the Warcraft lore.

Then again just a few cool heroes, big armies and cool effects and battles would most likely have me just as pumped as anything else to :p

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Weaver said:

I really love Raimi, and I think he could do a great job with a Warcraft movie because the Warcraft universe seems very... I dunno, Raimi-ish. Not too serious, but kind of serious at the same time? Sort of just a lot of silly stuff.

That said, Moon was an incredible movie. But Duncan Jones has such a different style from Raimi I'm not really sure what, if anything, he could do with his leftovers.
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. For me, Rami hasn't directed anything of worth in a while. He is a good producer, but his directing skills are dubious. Oz The Great and the Powerful didn't turn out so great. Spiderman 3 was terrible.
Drag me to Hell was pretty amusing, but such a style wouldn't work with WOW. I'd imagine he'd try and play WoW like he did Spiderman, which would be awful. If you look at Rami's catalog of films, for every one great film he's directed, he has 4 terrible ones.

Duncan Jones is more of an unknown element. Moon was great and Source Code was also pretty interesting. I'm not sure how he would approach WoW, but I have a feeling it will be better than Rami's plans.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong, because we simply wont know how it turns out until it's released.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Weaver said:

Not really the case of their being any Raimi left-overs at all. Raimi rewrote the script, had it approved by bliz, and was then told they were going back to the original script, so he took what he had done, said fuck you, and left.

Which is fair enough. But the work Raimi had done had been scrapped anyways, so had any influence he had on the project.

I'm glad of that to be honest. If Raimi is gone, (which is unfortunate , i would have loved to have seen his take on it) , so should the work he had done on it, as no one else could do it in the Raimi way.

Jones now gets to throw his chops at it, which should be fantastic in a completely different way. He's a much more subtle director and i'm looking forward to his choices.

That all probably made no sense.

lol

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I think Farrell as Arthas would be an excellent casting choice. I love Frozen Throne and Wrath lore a great deal, so I'm really excited to see what they do with it. Although the Second War would be my first choice for a Warcraft movie.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I long since stopped caring much about the Warcraft franchise ever since Blizzard stopped caring about the actual reason the fans liked the series to begin with, namely the RTS story and gameplay and replaced it with an MMO that does not have anything to do with it.

That said, I could see this work if they place the focus around massive armies battling it out for much of the movie and going with a "war is hell" sort of theme.