Collegiate Quidditch Players Seek NCAA Recognition

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Irridium said:
They do realize how ridiculous they look running around with brooms between their legs, right?

Don't get me wrong, more power to them for having fun and all that, but really? Quidditch?
Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

A man can dream....

Seriously, some people are taking this a tad bit too seriously. Srsly.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
... This finally sent me beyond facepalming to slamming my head against the desk. If this was played with wires or advanced hover technology, I might see this, but the thought of a game where you put a broom between your legs and imitate a sport that operates off the AWDI principle (you already know what it stands for, especially in a thread like this), even for trolling that makes me lose faith. Not just in humanity, but in nature itself. Part of me laughs at this joke, but the very thought of this being serious (which given that there are people who actually do this, I feel justified here) makes another part cringe.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well there are other sports that are as odd as that version of Quddich which get taken seriously:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling

However I do tend to agree that petitioning the NCAA with this is kind of silly. It's right up there with Steven Colbert getting his name attached to things. The people who support stuff like this don't bother to think about whether they will still think it's funny in 15 years, or whether their great grandkids will still find it amusing to hear about "Space Station Colbert" or whatever.

-

On the subject of Quidditch, I think it's a viable sport, sort of like Falcon Fighting (a fictitious Zero G sport for those familiar with it) but we just don't have practical access to the technology to make it work.

In the case of Quidditch, I actually think you could come up with something with similar functionality to the brooms, and even program a drone to act like the golden snitch if you wanted to invest millions of dollars in equipment per team. Before you start screaming about insanity with the brooms, I will say that I've seen enough "believe it or not" stuff on what we can actually do with Jet-Pack and hover technology to feel it should be possible, it's just those technologies aren't very cost effective (and regulation on a large scale is also an issue). Back during the priemiere for "Robocop 3" when it was coming out, they had a guy flying back and forth down the street on a real Jetpack in front of the theater for example (the Jet Pack being nothing like the one in the movie, or in general science fiction however) and that was quite a while ago.

The real reason why billionaire nerds aren't liable to ever find some way of doing this (even on a small scale) however is simply the lack of medical technology to deal with it. See, we can get people to fly around and swing clubs around and chase balls and stuff, but on the other hand when some dude falls off a flying platform doing 20 or 30 mph and slams into the ground 100' below, chances are they aren't going to survive it, even with immediate medical treatment. Stop and think about Harry Potter and the number of injuries Harry Suffered (and he was supposed to be an unusually skilled player). In real life it's not a matter of "hey you hit the ground at terminal velocity, drink this and you'll be fine in the morning".

Still, I have a feeling that at some point if we ever wind up with people operating in zero G in large numbers on a regular basis we'll see "Falcon Fighting". At some point I also have no doubts that someone will find a way of doing "Quiddich" since the books it's in have already hit a "timeless classics" level. Of course I think in the case of Quddich it will be mostly dependant on the development of something like oh... cellular regenerators, or reactive medical nanites. :p

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I miss playing Ultimate Frisbee lamest, makes me feel good inside seeing people playing this heh.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Isn't Quidditch a deeply flawed sport because the Seeker makes or breaks the game? It was designed by JK Rowling to make Harry Potter look like a star, but it doesn't make sense to play in real life, even if you had flying brooms.

You know what would make real life Quidditch much more awesome? Segways. And by awesome I mean pathetic.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
WanderFreak said:
No more ridiculous than watching a bunch of fat guys smacking each others asses tossing a ball around.
My thoughts precisely. This is no less ridiculous than any other sport.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good joke.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
I think if they dropped the brooms it would be a cool sport, oh and you could have the snitch be a dog or something.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
If the NCAA agreed to this for whatever reason, I would watch it. There is nothing more funny than seeing a bunch of college students running around with brooms between their legs and companies would get paid for it.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Why didn't they do this... you know... without the brooms? Would it really be that hard?

oh yeah... um... a motorized snitch? I dunno...

Squoze

Apr 16, 2009
BUWAHHAA we have Quidditch here at my university. It hardly deserves NCAA recognition.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
WrongSprite said:
WanderFreak said:
No more ridiculous than watching a bunch of fat guys smacking each others asses tossing a ball around.
My thoughts precisely. This is no less ridiculous than any other sport.
Look, I'm not a huge sports nut or anything, but this activity is clearly a lot sillier than any mainstream sport and even most of the lesser-known ones. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about it, but the fact is that it's a pale imitation of imagined magic-based sport from a series of popular books. It's barely similar to the source material and the real-life brooms can only get in the way of what is otherwise a game of running and throwing balls through hoops, which isn't much different from basketball.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play it if they want to have fun, but I don't see the point of trying to get the NCAA to recognize it when even more ubiquitous games like ultimate frisbee or dodgeball do just fine on their own. It's just some nerds taking up the wrong cause for a nerdy game that will just die out eventually anyway (and this is coming from a nerdy guy). It just reeks of a bloated sense of importance.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Duke, Harvard, Yale, and M.I.T - Colleges lacking real sports

Demand Nerd Sports...

CTF I want to be on the Harvard CTF team...

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Just a heads up, here's how The Seeker/Snitch works: A person is picked, dresses up in gold tights, and is able to hide anywhere on campus while the seekers look for him. It's a giant game of hide and go seek for that part.

Once more: Gold tights. Hide and go Seek.

Raaaaage!

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
Quiddich, sirs, should look like this! [http://www.machall.com/view.php?date=2002-06-15]