Colossal - Giant Monsters and Abusive Relationships! Fun!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Colossal - Giant Monsters and Abusive Relationships! Fun!

Colossal is both a giant monster movie and a dark drama about abusive relationships - and it works!

Read Full Article

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I feel like this was either a movie I skipped or it never played here. I have a hard time believing this was a movie that came out last Friday. Still if it did play here I doubt they advertised giant monsters.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Jacked Assassin said:
I feel like this was either a movie I skipped or it never played here. I have a hard time believing this was a movie that came out last Friday. Still if it did play here I doubt they advertised giant monsters.
Seems to have a pretty limited release, came out the 21st here but I can only find one theater within 150km, out of dozens, that's actually playing it.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
A colleague of mine directed one of the digital effects teams. I was trying to get on board, but I couldn't relocate for the post production... but I'm glad to hear it's surprising and good.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Having never seen this movie, I choose to believe that during one of the robot monster fights, they stop and start having sex, much to the confusion of the civilians.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
008Zulu said:
Having never seen this movie, I choose to believe that during one of the robot monster fights, they stop and start having sex, much to the confusion of the civilians.
Having also not seen this movie, I can confirm that this certainly probably happened.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I saw it tonight. It's actually pretty good, though some parts of it come across as fairly narmy. At times it almost feels like two different films are playing at the same time and with the same cast, and you just keep cutting back and forth between them. There's also a fair bit of emotional whiplash because the abusive relationship bits feel much darker then the giant monster bits, so when the film starts mixing them, it doesn't really work quite the way it's probably intended to.

And, no, there is no monster/monster puppeteer sex. I do think kinda wierd that the dancing monster doesn't get more in-universe reaction then it does.

So yeah, worth a watch, but it doesn't gel as well as it probably thinks it does.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Rachel Getting Married was a great film, i can imagine that character bears a few similarities to this one with a troubled and struggling life. Curious choice of metaphor here, it must have been an interesting elevator pitch to...pitch??

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I stopped reading when you stated that the less you know about this movie before seeing it, the better.

Now to see if it is available anywhere!

Casper Andersen

Jun 21, 2010
Thos director also made Timecrimes, he likes to play around with genres and audience expectations. It doesn't always work, Open Windows was a bit of a mess, but I think he nails it here. It starts like a mix between Drama and Romcom with bizarre Kaiju bits thrown in. Then it morps to a thriller, with the Kaiju bits refelecting the conflict between the main characters.