Colourful Games

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
All of the Halo games. They are some of the most colorful big budget triple A titles on the market.

Look, bright colors everywhere!
Black lettering on a white picture background, very colourful =P

[sub] I do believe your picture may have buggered up[/sub]

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Bastion's an absolutely fantastic-looking game, and it's fun to play too. Also, good music.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Andy Shandy said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
All of the Halo games. They are some of the most colorful big budget triple A titles on the market.

Looks fine to me.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Pearwood said:
TrevHead said:
Imo the best games developer in the use of vibrant and contrasting colours is CAVE Co, it's almost as if they have a magical colour pallette that no one else uses and look mouth wateringly good in motion in full HD glory on the 360.
I'm not so sure about recommending Cave games to someone who hasn't shown any interest in shooters. I'd use something like Touhou 8 (also a very pretty series, doesn't have the kind of graphics power the DoDonpachi remake has though) as a starting point, that game's not TOO bad on easy.
I wasn't recommending them to anybody, I was just stating their awesome use of colour :)

That said CAVE shmups aren't all just for hardcore players, many of their recent games are also aimed at noobs and intermediate players as they have multiple game modes and easy modes that play separately to each other. Deathsmiles is especially easy to beat in the vanilla mode, Dodonpachi Resurrection gives out autobombs like candy and Akia Katana has a mode where you are immune to bullets while in phantom mode. The iphone ports are even easier

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Scrustle said:
Out of my personal collection (from this gen.) I'd recommend Darksiders (the sequel appears to be even more colourful), Oblivion, KoA: Reckoning, El Shaddai, The Darkness 2 (obviously pretty dark but it has strong colours too), Mirror's Edge, Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Muramasa. If you want racing games I guess the Forza games are pretty colourful too, especially Forza 3. Forza 4 is still colourful but they toned it down a bit from Forza 3. It was a bit intense. Forza 2 wasn't really colourful though. It hasn't aged that well. It looks pretty rough and dull now. Test Drive Unlimited 2 has very strong colours as well.
*Looks at avatar*

I'm amazed you resisted mentioning it. XD

Well, I guess you were talking about this gen. But hey, there is a Wii Version of Okami. :3

OT: Okami is one of the most colorful and uniquely presented games out there. It really is like playing through a series of paintings and wood carvings. And it's a fun, well-written game overall with a lot of content, with the only flaw being that it's incredibly easy. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QcQGuamkUA

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Overusedname said:
Scrustle said:
Out of my personal collection (from this gen.) I'd recommend Darksiders (the sequel appears to be even more colourful), Oblivion, KoA: Reckoning, El Shaddai, The Darkness 2 (obviously pretty dark but it has strong colours too), Mirror's Edge, Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Muramasa. If you want racing games I guess the Forza games are pretty colourful too, especially Forza 3. Forza 4 is still colourful but they toned it down a bit from Forza 3. It was a bit intense. Forza 2 wasn't really colourful though. It hasn't aged that well. It looks pretty rough and dull now. Test Drive Unlimited 2 has very strong colours as well.
*Looks at avatar*

I'm amazed you resisted mentioning it. XD

Well, I guess you were talking about this gen. But hey, there is a Wii Version of Okami. :3

OT: Okami is one of the most colorful and uniquely presented games out there. It really is like playing through a series of paintings and wood carvings. And it's a fun, well-written game overall with a lot of content, with the only flaw being that it's incredibly easy. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QcQGuamkUA
Yeah I decided to restrict it to this generation since older games aren't so easy to get hold of now and they don't have so much novelty any more, and I consider Okami to be last gen. That's what I played it on anyway. I also try to avoid sounding like a scratched record when I recommend stuff, although I mention Forza a hell of a lot. I should probably cut back on that. But racing games are understandably not mentioned much on these forums, so I like to try and add something different to the conversation.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hides His Eyes said:
Can anyone recommend any recentish games with vibrant colour schemes and beautiful settings? This is connected to the old brown-and-grey complaint, I suppose, but I'm also getting sick of the amount of man-made stuff in game locations nowadays. I've just finished Human Revolution and although I thought it was very good, it took place entirely in corridors and city streets. Everything is not only brown and grey, but angular and designed. Skyrim and Arkham City are very impressive, visually, but again everything is stark and dark. I'm wondering if there are any good games around, especially action games, with varied colour pallets and natural, organic locations...? Enslaved and Borderlands are the kind of thing I'm thinking of.
Some of these might be repeats but are worth mentioning again...

Viva Pinata (Fun, light-hearted)
Kingdom Hearts (Fun battle system, good story)
Bastion (Fun battle system, great story, amazing voiceover)
Dear Esther (A bit slow and artsy, but breathtakingly beautiful and skillfully arranged sets)
Plants VS Zombies (Intensely addictive, fun gameplay and details)
Psychonauts (Great story and writing)

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
Well seeing as Bastion has already been mentioned...

Trine: More puzzle than action but the visuals are excellent and colorful.

Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3: Turned based strategy with 3rd person element but it's damn pretty. The colors aren't intense but at least it's different from the ultra real brown on brown.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
It might not be the most full on action game, but if you're looking for colour in your games I would say you can't go wrong with the Viva Pinata games

It was one of the first games I got when I had my original X360 and yeah...not a lot of action but extremely addictive.

---

If you have an Xbox 360, Rayman Origins is down to about 19.99 over at Target new. I just got to the third world and before finishing the first I knew I would have been happy to have bought it on day one...oh well, live and learn.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Andy Shandy said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Looks fine to me.
Like Andy, I see no picture.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
TrevHead said:
I wasn't recommending them to anybody, I was just stating their awesome use of colour :)
That's fair enough :)

I haven't played a Cave shooter in ages :( the lack of a 360 and iPhone makes them kind of tricky to get hold of nowdays.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Journey for PS3

It may seem brown and boring because of all of the sand, but it has some great looking environments. Sometimes you're trudging through green lit caves, sand-surfing down a hill while there's a blaring red sunset in the background, or flying towards a beautiful snow covered mountain with an extremely blue sky overhead.

The game is brilliant.

EDIT:
Feliperm said:
Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3: Turned based strategy with 3rd person element but it's damn pretty. The colors aren't intense but at least it's different from the ultra real brown on brown.
This too.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Darksiders is pretty gorgeous...and with the sequel out it may be worth getting into

though WAR is much of a sad-sack

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Kingdoms of Amalur is freaking gorgeous and colourful.

I found it really relaxing to play. :)

Tales of Vesperia is pretty too if you dont mind JRPG's and it is available to dl on xbox live.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
BENZOOKA said:
Bastion

It's a very good game, as well as colourful.
Let's not forget to say it has one of the best storyline in the games I've played. It may be overreaction but I consider the story and gameplay melded together really well.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Mirroga said:
BENZOOKA said:
Bastion

It's a very good game, as well as colourful.
Let's not forget to say it has one of the best storyline in the games I've played. It may be overreaction but I consider the story and gameplay melded together really well.

Indeed. Gameplay is the most important factor for me in games. And with that, there should be a certain easy to learn / difficult to master -aspect. Bastion delivers commendably on both accounts.

Placing gameplay over other parts, there aren't too many games that can keep me actually interested in the story. This game is one of those that can.

In addition to the overall interesting storyline: One of the main marketing points was the "you are narrated as you play", and it works just great, carrying the storytelling as well as binding your actions and performance to the story; embracing the interactive experience which games are supposed to. Every time the narrator picks up on how well or bad you're doing, it's fun and unexpected. Initially I thought it would be overdone or feel a bit corny, but having a well-voiced commentator entertains both by its own as well as by making you think "oh, they even followed if, or how many times, I fell off the raft".

Bastion also has an exceptional soundtrack. It even works off-game. One of the very few games in that regard, and also with the fact that I immediately began a New Game Plus, after finishing the game for the first time.

arc101

May 24, 2009
Dead Rising one and Two are still two of my favourite games for being silly, bright, colourful and fun. During a time where all games seem to apply a brown, mud filter, these are so full of colour it's bonkers.

Also, Braid. Although not as bright and vibrant, it also had a great vivid look to the colours that were used. Maybe not the most colourful game of recent years when compared to the likes of Loco Roco and Viva Pinata, but very effective.