Come Back, Carmen Sandiego

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
In addition to reminding me of my days bombing around the farm, I've learned quite a bit about the physics of big, old American automobiles while driving off-road in Flatout.

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007
Dead on on the article. Games first, education second. (Wait, does that sound right?)
I loved the ridiculous TV shows based on the games. They were fantastic. It was like Double Dare for the smart kids.

spartyblb

Sep 11, 2008
My Fondest video game experience was Civ II.
Incidentally this game was almost my entire history curriculum in elementary school.
The reason being that I was home schooled, not that my parents did not attempt to teach me, or where in anyways lack in their duties as teachers.
I believe what really happened was I started playing the game and sitting down the a real encyclopedia so I could read about each race, and so I could figure out about things like "the seven wonders of the world" at the point that most of my grade school equivalent students where learning what? I was reading entire treatises on the ancient world. I guess my parents just felt that was good enough...self assigned homework

RRoethel

Sep 28, 2008
Ok now. This may seem kind of lame to everyone here. I am on the younger end most likely of the general population of this forum and thats cool by me. The only thing I think I have that tops all your geekyness is that I know the entire acapella theme song to the show which was done live by Rockapella before every episode. Other than that I have the board game but, I kind of cheated my way to it. There was a garage sale involved, its not one of those childhood keep sake board game. And I did watch the show as a younger kid. Back in the 90s. Back when the music was good and not all about bitches, hoes, and "dalla dalla bills yall" as they say.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
RRoethel post=6.72445.767967 said:
The only thing I think I have that tops all your geekyness is that I know the entire acapella theme song to the show which was done live by Rockapella before every episode.
http://www.actionext.com/names_r/rockapella_lyrics/where_in_the_world_is_carmen_san_diego.html

Well, I don't quite know all of it, but I can recite a good chunk of it. :)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Even if a game isn't aiming for education, it can still do that. Zoozilla's pursuit of knowledge pertaining to WW2 because of COD would be an example, and me becoming interested in WW2, and later, modern history in its entirity, would be because of Brothers in Arms.

Though, I have to agree with the article. The best way is to make someone learn is to get them to enjoy themselves while teaching.

Feb 13, 2008
stompy post=6.72445.777045 said:
Even if a game isn't aiming for education, it can still do that. Zoozilla's pursuit of knowledge pertaining to WW2 because of COD would be an example, and me becoming interested in WW2, and later, modern history in its entirity, would be because of Brothers in Arms.
Which is why you have to be a little careful with your fictive elements; unless they're labelled fictious people might start to believe in them.

I did like the cigarettes in Deus Ex which gave you a very short boost but cost you permanent health.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
As far as games featuring educational value are concerned, I commend to you the Europa Universalis series, especially EU2. That game has hardwired historical events for every major country and tasks the player with responding to actual history.

Hearts of Iron 2 plays in the same vein and actually reading the event scripts is an overview lesson in World War 2 (and, in the Doomsday and Armageddon expansions, the early parts of the Cold War as well.)

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Ah, I remember Mario's Time Machine. That game taught me about history, and I didn't even realise it. I'd never have known that Ben Franklin invented bifocals, or that the Gobi Desert was actually a very cold place, if it weren't for that game. I also watched Carmen Sandiego as a kid, and loved every moment of it.

Also, Fallout taught me that having 10,000 rems of radiation in your body is unhealthy (exaggeration).