Comedy Central's focus on race is getting tiring

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
It seems to me that Comedy Central has been giving the idea of race, particularly that of being black, a great deal of attention, at least in their fake news programs. It's the main theme in The Nightly Show, hosted by black comedian Larry Wilmore, but it's also evident in The Daily Show with how correspondents react to issues of the day. There's nothing wrong with showing black pride, as it has not been responsible for oppression the way white pride has, and when there are real issues of racism, bringing it up is entirely appropriate. But it seems that the writers are trying to shoe-horn race into every crevice they can fit it in.

Take the coverage of hydrated salts on Mars. Roy Wood Jr. spent the entire segment lamenting how black people would not be going to Mars, even though NASA has sent over dozen African-Americans into space. Passing the physical and intellectual challenges to becoming an astronaut isn't easy. If someone is capable of handling them, why the hell would a government agency deny them a job simply because they're black? Certainly, there are economic disparities that affect black Americans more than whites--one of those oppressions white pride has created--but to imply a social aspect to it strikes me as off base.

There was also the recent coverage of the Democratic debate, where Roy Wood Jr. said that America is ready for "another all-white president". As if having a black president these past 8 years ended racial problems....What needs to be done to address issues like police brutality are policies that expose racists and a will to prosecute them, as well as an examination of current policy to determine if they disproportionately affect minority groups. This can be done through police body cameras and reforming the prison-industrial complex, things said "all white-president" has made a point of addressing in his campaign.

You would think, after Bill Nye explained how different "races" came to be, and that they really don't exist [http://www.salon.com/2015/05/05/bill_nye_on_the_science_of_racism_were_all_the_same_from_a_scientific_standpoint/] on their program, CC wouldn't keep hammering such an idea into us. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking what's supposed to be a half hour of poking fun at the news. Still, many people DO rely on these shows for at least some of their information, and while CC does a good job highlighting racial problems when they arise, I just can't see them contributing to a solution for these problems.

What do you think about Comedy Central's portrayal of race in their programs?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I just haven't found any shows on CC funny in a while. As far as the race thing goes, they like to pander to a younger audience, and race seems to be a big thing with the youth these days.

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
Laziest way to generate content and score cheap points. I stopped watching Comedy Central years ago. Ignorant self-serious jeering has been a very successful formula for them. It's a shame, because they have had a lot of talented people to work with the past few years. It's what kept me watching as long as I did.

Remember Chapelle's Show? Holy shit that guy was funny. I remember Kids in the Hall, and back when Saturday Night Live was funny. It's not that the fake news shows never write a good joke. It just feels like it used to be about fun, not scoring cheap points like I'm watching The O'Reilly Factor or something.

Oh, are Key and Peele on Comedy Central? Not quite Chapelle's Show, but they're pretty funny.
MarsAtlas said:
I guess thats what happen when you give two shows about topical news issues to people who aren't white - they talk about racism. Its almost as if its prevalent in today's society and still causing major problems.

secretkeeper12 said:
You would think, after Bill Nye explained how different "races" came to be, and that they really don't exist [http://www.salon.com/2015/05/05/bill_nye_on_the_science_of_racism_were_all_the_same_from_a_scientific_standpoint/] on their program, CC wouldn't keep hammering such an idea into us.
Now this is just stupid denialism. Everybody who isn't a racist twat knows that there are no real differences. However, there's still a lot of racist twats who don't know and/or don't care, and their racism still can have a profound negative impact on society. We can't just stop talking about it because it hasn't stopped effecting people. Saying that race isn't real and therefore we shouldn't talk about racism is like saying that you're not a homophobe so we shouldn't talk about homophobia. Its an attempt to shut down much needed conversation about an issue that is still prevalent.

I'm regurgitating this quote once again because its still relevant.

"I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured."

Denial of a problem is how you prevent progress from occurring. These sorts of folks told abolitionists to wait patiently and be quiet with the promise that their grievances would be heard and addressed if they did and that if they didn't it would never be addressed. These sorts of folks told suffragists to wait patiently and be quiet with the promise that they'd someday their grievances would magically become resolved by a benevolent group of men and if they didn't they'd never get their way. These sorts of folks told civil rights activists to wait patiently and be quietly and someday their grievances would magically become resolved by a benevolent group of white men and that if they didn't they'd never get their way. When the financial crisis occured those who caused it told the people whose lives were being ruined by it to wait patiently and be quiet and that if they spoke up about it it would only hurt them more. Its nonsensical platitudes spouted by people who either have nothing to lose by waiting or something to lose by addressing the issue. When you have no stake in things its pretty easy to tell people who are effected by a problem to not get upset and wait until their benevolent overlords decide one day to fix all their problems magically. Thats magical thinking and it has never, ever worked. It doesn't work. Things don't fix themselves. You wouldn't dare go into your friend's home, see a leak in their ceiling right above their bed and tell them not to do anything about it and that it wouldn't fix itself, so why do it here?

Magical thinking does not work. You do not get rid of a serious problem by pretending that it doesn't exist. You don't look at a fire in your home and think "it'll burn itself out". Racism still exists and effects others even if it doesn't affect you. Life does not begin and end at your personal convenience. I'm whiter than Casper and racism has never really been a detriment to my life but I'm not going to say "just stop talking about it" beacuse it doesn't effect me because its clear that it effects many people. Even if I don't do anything to help acknowledging the problem means that there's less resistance to necessary reform.
And this is just a taste of the HIL-AR-IOUS antics and gut-busting laughs you can only get here, on Comedy Central!

I wasn't totally sure what the topic creator's point was but I think you just proved it. Right now I think I'd rather have my head chopped off than watch Comedy Central. It certainly doesn't sound like a fun experience.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
inu-kun said:
Don't see CC but I wouldn't really trust a comedy channel too much for my politics, especially if it's the same opinion over and over again which most likely drive people to start get sick of it rather than think about it.

Though if we talk about the president, if the last 8 years are any sign the president is better white...
U wot.

No seriously, are you actually implying (nah fuck implying), are you actually saying that the president's skin color is somehow tied to his ability to president? That he's a less effective president because he's black? I mean fuck me, I haven't even seen the most conservative pundits just come out and say "Obama is a shitty president because he's black."

Or it could be I'm just misinterpreting you. Which I hope I am.

On the subject of Comedy Central's supposed focus on race: it's two half hour shows a day, and I'd say that the Daily Show doesn't really have a "focus on race" so much as has a black host who reacts to things based on personal experience. Wilmore? Sure, he's got a focus on race, and he's funny but,like I said, a half hour a day among all their other stand up shows, animated shows, and sketch comedy shows does not exactly constitute a focus on race in my mind.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
I guess thats what happen when you give two shows about topical news issues to people who aren't white - they talk about racism. Its almost as if its prevalent in today's society and still causing major problems.
Oh, Christ, there are TWO? Yeah, this IS getting out of hand.

...seriously, though, is that it? Is that what's got "race issues" out of hand? Because...

DeanCain said:
I actually enjoy the new coverage, and I'm a 40 year old white guy in rural Illinois if that makes any difference. If I want to see the standard white viewpoint on my politics, I'll go to literally any other source.
That's what kills me. If you want to see other coverage there is almost literally every other channel.

For the record, Wilmore talks about topics I don't see covered elsewhere in the news with any prominence. This is pretty much the sole reason I watch him.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Fair enough, but the same joke being told 100 times stops being funny. Although admittedly I haven't watched too much of those slots in a while so I wouldn't know if the joke was overused.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I stopped watching Larry Wilmore when he stopped doing "Keeping It 100" segment. After that, the show devolved into an echo chamber.

Trevor Noah lost me recently when he turned the segment about the Democratic debate into a campaign ad for Hilary Clinton. I was really trying to give him a chance. Unfortunately, Trevor Noah is trying to do the same thing as Jon Stewart. He just doesn't have the same passion and quality insights to pull it off.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Suckering suckertash, you mean a white perspective isn't being represented 100% of the time. THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR WHITE POWER MAN. WITH THE POWER TO HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER YOUR MEDIA. WHITE POWER MAN, AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Worgen said:
Suckering suckertash, you mean a white perspective isn't being represented 100% of the time. THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR WHITE POWER MAN. WITH THE POWER TO HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER YOUR MEDIA. WHITE POWER MAN, AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.
Don't forget his sidekick, The Brittle Christian! "I'll show you a war on Christmas JEWS atheists and bankers!" he screams over Murdoch owned air.
TOGETHER WE FORM THE LEGION OF PRIVILEGE! Who shall never be cowed by the relentless yammering of woman and minorities.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
"I can't enjoy a source of entertainment that doesn't constantly tell me everything I want to hear."
Well, in fairness, this isn't just an internet echo chamber thing. But yes, it's interesting that people get upset that there's an hour of entertainment that isn't directly aimed at them.

Whereas I've been repeatedly told "don't like it? Don't watch it."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Worgen said:
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Worgen said:
Don't forget his sidekick, The Brittle Christian! "I'll show you a war on Christmas JEWS atheists and bankers!" he screams over Murdoch owned air.
TOGETHER WE FORM THE LEGION OF PRIVILEGE! Who shall never be cowed by the relentless yammering of woman and minorities.
Hey, can I be your token member? I offer the power of reassurance, because listening to me means you can ignore dissenting voices.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Worgen said:
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Worgen said:
Hey, can I be your token member? I offer the power of reassurance, because listening to me means you can ignore dissenting voices.
I dub thee 'Black Friend' with the power of dismissing charges of racism since White Power Man has a Black Friend.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Worgen said:
I dub thee 'Black Friend' with the power of dismissing charges of racism since White Power Man has a Black Friend.
Sweet! Err...does it matter than I'm not black? It's just a title, right?

Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Those are probably the same people with terribly hurt feelings, who like to chant "Feelz before realz". Projection is a *****.
TBH, I'm not even sure it's projection. I literally think they don't know they're doing it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Worgen said:
Sweet! Err...does it matter than I'm not black? It's just a title, right?
White Power Man prefers it that way, just tell people you have that Michael Jackson disease.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
This is why diversity in media matters op. You noticed how the hosts background influenced the content of the show. Well guess what! Even when the host is White it influences the content of a show. It is not an unbiased or nutral perspective. And those of us who aren't White notice. Unlike your situation though it isn't just an hours worth of television. If that hour is all it took for you to start feeling annoyed how do you think those of us on the other side of things feel?

Besides, if less racist shit happened then they wouldn't have anything to talk about. Even in our oh so enlightened society some people are still racist. And they will continue to be racist if they think they can get away with it. Talking about their words and deeds on a show that reaches a large audince puts pressure on them and those who think like them. And for those who aren't racist but do/say racist things half the time ignorance is the reason why. If racism is spoken about publicly some folks might learn something.