Comic Based Games?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Sounds good on paper, but we'd want the game to actually release, innit?
well, logically speaking, a game of infinite possibilities must take infinite development time. that's the math!

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
stroopwafel said:
Definitely Spawn. He has a kick-ass gallery of rogues that would totally work in a game. You'd also have a huge variety of settings to choose from as the comics(and it's many spin-offs) provide a pretty good mix of crime/realism(city), fantasy, horror and more supernatural stuff. The ingredients are all there. Ofcourse there have been some Spawn games on old systems but those were all crap.
Spawn had a game on the Playstation. I don't remember if it was released or cancelled. I want to say it got released. In any case there's a reason no one remembers it.

Fun fact: Hellboy also got a PSX game, also terrible.

Apr 5, 2008
DarthCoercis said:
X-Men arcade, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Spiderman & The X-Men and a whole host of capcom fighting games?
The thing with the arcade/Capcom fighting games is that they aren't "XMen" games per se. They're 2D fighting games with XMen art/themes. I'm not dismissing your point, honest, but they put Jason, Freddy and the Predator into MKX, and I wouldn't describe Mortal Kombat X as a Predator game.

WhiteFangofWhoa said:
X-Men Legends? Admittedly it has been a while since then. I'd love to see another isometric strategy game with a large cast of recruitable mutant characters to mix and match your team with, not just the X-Men.
I think I remember that...was it like the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series? I remember MUA having Wolvie, Storm and Iceman, but didn't play it for long. Wasn't there one where you could create your own mutant in recent years? *some web searching later*

X-Men Destiny.
Along with many other games published by Activision that had used a Marvel license, X-Men: Destiny was de-listed and subsequently removed from all digital storefronts on January 1, 2014
I kinda want to find a physical copy now...

Saelune said:
The Sega Genesis had those two good X-Men games. There was also those X-Men Legends games which would be spun-off into the Marvel-Wide Ultimate Alliance games which are awesome and highly underrated. (Though also constantly being removed from sale...)
I tried the UA games...on 360, or original XBox? I don't think they were that engaging and it's perhaps telling that I don't remember much beyond using the D-Pad to select which character of the four to control. Even young family members didn't get much mileage from it. If the Genesis/Megadrive (EU) had good games, I missed them, but it's sad that such a pre-eminent comic book franchise like the XMen has gone literal decades without a game able to capture the comic books.
-------------------
Thinking about it, it shouldn't be too hard to make a decent XMen game. The 2000 movie is a good template, or the 90s cartoons. Jubilee takes a distress call from Genosha/Muir Island/New York/Savage Land, Brotherhood of Mutants are attacking! Blackbird takes off with XMen on board (except for Cyclops because he's a dick). We pick which character to play as thru a variety of levels, get more powerful as the game progresses and fight Toad, Blob, Avalanche, Sauron, etc. Maybe get some Xmen Vs Avengers, or Xmen Vs Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, so many possibilities.

Neurotic Void Melody said:
they should use whatever engine star citizen is using, as I hear that is capable of granting everybody's wildest dreams
It will grant everybody's wishes in 2026. For now, the wish fulfilment features are still on THE ROADMAP!

I really suck at sarcasm.

Apr 5, 2008
Chimpzy said:
Maybe a boring choice, but Superman. Or really any hyperpowerful flying brick type character...
I'm actually not even all that interested in Superman or characters like him, but I'm interested to see if you can make a great game where you play as someone truly cosmically powerful with superspeed, vast strenght, invulnerability, the works. I can't think of a way to make that work, but I'm admittedly a stupid monkey.
First of all, Monkey, Yes. Stupid, never! You have the body of a primate but the eyes of a hawk, spying all those freebies from upon high.

Second, I don't think you can. Superman can work in films (as long as Zack Snyder isn't involved in them), but he can't work in games because I think good games need to have challenge. They don't need to be Dark Souls hard, but if you cast your mind back to the Prince of Persia reboot, it was hated because you literally couldn't die. You could AFK the game in the middle of a boss fight and carry on when you return.

Superman used to be faster than a speeding bullet and could leap tall buildings in a single bound. Now he can move faster than light, punch god in the face, rewind time, etc. Flight in games in awesome, and so is punching mooks in the face, but if Supes is invulnerable, there's no challenge. There are some games that I think did/do superpowers quite well....

Force Unleashed....Starkiller is ludicrously powerful. He destroyed a star destroyer. With his hands. Luke made some rocks float a bit. He destroys imperial walkers without pausing, beats up stormtroopers with the bodies of other stormtroopers and is a lightsaber master. But the games are still fun because they are reasonably challenging and he can die. There're loads of cool force and lightsaber attacks and the game balances feeling powerful with weak mooks and challenge with tougher enemies and bosses.

Saints Row 4 also did superpowers well. Speed, leaping, strength, elemental abilities, gliding (sadly not flying). Batman Arkham games, not so super-powered but fluid combat, gadgets, gliding, batmobiles, etc. Spiderman has the wall crawling, web swinging, mook beating gameplay and works really well. Cosmic beings might be fine as NPCs, but how can you challenge the player? Superman is like opening the console and typing in "Godmode=1". I would also argue that Skyrim is kinda super-powery. Changing into a werewolf or vampire lord, dragon shouts, telekinesis, shooting fire and ice, invisibility, etc. With some mods/balance tweaks the magic is really fun (and almost as good as stealth archer!)

I'll say where such a character worked really well. In City of Heroes/Villains, the *main* hero sorta was Statesman (basically Superman). Flying, invulnerable, super strength, the works. He and his superteam were the end bosses of one of the villain "task forces" (a series of team missions for powerful rewards). Superhero/Supervillains in CoX were very powerful bosses that took a team of tank, DPS, healer and support to defeat. I think he worked well in that context. It showed how powerful he was by taking many players to stand a chance against, was challenging, gave top rewards, made the players feel powerful by beating him, etc.

One anecdote, there was one villain archetype in the game that could actually solo almost any superhero/villain boss. They had a unique combination of abilities that, while no more or less powerful in normal play, made them devastating against a single, powerful target. They were able, by themselves, to simultaneously CC them, lower their defences, lower their accuracy, heal incoming damage and do enough outgoing damage to defeat them.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
KingsGambit said:
When did XMen (or even Wolverine) get a quote "good" game? Apart from Ravages of Apocalypse that was a total Quake conversion mod two decades ago, I don't remember one good game with my favourite mutants in it. Marvel Heroes was alright, but that's gone now.

I do know some stuff, and altho I haven't signed any NDA, it's privileged info so I won't speak about any details. However it's public knowledge that Square Enix signed a deal with Marvel to produce Avengers and related games. While it's a bit sad that there haven't been game tie-ins to (one of, if not the) the biggest film franchise in recent years, if not history, they are coming. They are supposed to be cannon with the MCU.

They are the reason there has been very little out of Squeenix in recent years and why Deus Ex got put on hiaitus. Maybe they'll announce something at E3, no idea but it would be interesting to hear something about what they're up to officially.

In other "superhero" game news, the four City of Heroes successor projects are still in development, as they have been for years and seemingly will be for more to come. There is City of Titans, the first one originally backed on Kickstarter. There's Heroes and Villains, being developed by part of the original CoT team that had different creative ideas for the game they wanted to make. There's Valiance Online, the first of the four to reach Alpha and there's Ship of Heroes, which is set on a spaceship. In Space.

My worry for these is that MMOs have lost a lot of popularity in recent years. The subscription model is unlikely to succeed also. Further, the market cannot support four of them. Unless they have tons of mainstream appeal (which I doubt; these are niche games) I suspect one or two will be populated and players who want to play them will flock to them. I think whichever is the first to market will have a distinct advantage, and if it's good, will probably win out unless the ones that come later prove significantly better. For those of us who'd like to scratch the CoX itch, but Champions Online/DCUO can't quite satisfy, we just want a place to enjoy silly costumed superheroics and shennanigans. A good char creation/tailor is absolutely crucial, cool, varied and customisable powers and builds, larger than life villains and an immersive city to fly/speed/leap/teleport thru, maybe some supervillains to beat up/thwart....it's not much to ask!
Actually, as I recall, there were tie ins to Iron Man, Thor and Captain America released around the time of their respective films. They just weren't very good.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
KingsGambit said:
DarthCoercis said:
X-Men arcade, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Spiderman & The X-Men and a whole host of capcom fighting games?
The thing with the arcade/Capcom fighting games is that they aren't "XMen" games per se. They're 2D fighting games with XMen art/themes. I'm not dismissing your point, honest, but they put Jason, Freddy and the Predator into MKX, and I wouldn't describe Mortal Kombat X as a Predator game.
I see what you're saying. X-Men Arcade and Spider-man & The X-Men aren't fighting games though, they're Golden Axe style games.

I also forgot about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That was a pretty solid game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I want to see another Rogue Trooper game. The setting of that world is just great, and it had some interesting ideas at the time. The Rogue Trooper series in general needs an update, so why not in video game form?

Honestly, I wish more non-superhero comics would get adapted more. I mean, I wouldn't say no to more Arkhams or Spider-mans, but there are so many comics out there with amazing stories and universes that would do great in a video game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DarthCoercis said:
KingsGambit said:
DarthCoercis said:
I see what you're saying. X-Men Arcade and Spider-man & The X-Men aren't fighting games though, they're Golden Axe style games.

I also forgot about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That was a pretty solid game.
I don't care what KingsGambit's opinion is. All of the arcade games dealing X-Men, even the crossover games, count as X-men games. Half of the roster in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 are X-men characters on the Marvel side.

I vouch for Wolverine (7th gen version) too and Deadpool. Though Deadpool was very average. We could use another Punisher game as the last game came out in 2004. He's only had two great games. The one I just mentioned and the Capcom brawler made in 1994.

Can we get a new Judge Dredd game that doesn't suck? That goes for Iron Man and Thor too.

This is more manga related, but Battle Angel Alita/Gunm should get a new game. The cel-shading for that game would be amazing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
THQ was working on an Avengers FPS before they went under.

https://youtu.be/QVDdLz95w-0
I never knew about that one. Thanks.

Also, I would be in favor for a Dare Devil, Ironfist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones game.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
KingsGambit said:
I think I remember that...was it like the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series? I remember MUA having Wolvie, Storm and Iceman, but didn't play it for long. Wasn't there one where you could create your own mutant in recent years? *some web searching later*

X-Men Destiny.
Along with many other games published by Activision that had used a Marvel license, X-Men: Destiny was de-listed and subsequently removed from all digital storefronts on January 1, 2014
I kinda want to find a physical copy now...
Nope, no you don't. That game was complete garbage. When Silicone Knights followed up 2008's Too Human with X-Men Destiny... the whole thing came crashing down and Silicone Knights went under. Not only was it an awful game in its own right (basically button mashing spamming a single attack through several boring levels to see 2 slightly varied versions of the same generic superhero origin/subtype:mutant) but it is the reason why the world never got a sequel to Eternal Darkness. X-Men Destiny didn't just burn the fields... it salted the earth. It promised "create your own mutant." It delivered "we made 3 new entirely generic superhero mutants... pick one and what color and orifice his particle effect power pew pew comes out."

As far as the original question... I think there are plenty of comic books that could inspire a game. I'd personally rather see different tabletop roleplaying systems getting represented in video games. I've always wanted to see a videogame based on Palladium's Rifts or Beyond the Supernatural. Not to mention a videogame in Pinnacle's Deadlands.

Apr 5, 2008
Kyrian007 said:
Nope, no you don't. That game was complete garbage. When Silicone Knights followed up 2008's Too Human with X-Men Destiny... the whole thing came crashing down and Silicone Knights went under. Not only was it an awful game in its own right (basically button mashing spamming a single attack through several boring levels to see 2 slightly varied versions of the same generic superhero origin/subtype:mutant) but it is the reason why the world never got a sequel to Eternal Darkness. X-Men Destiny didn't just burn the fields... it salted the earth. It promised "create your own mutant." It delivered "we made 3 new entirely generic superhero mutants... pick one and what color and orifice his particle effect power pew pew comes out."
It's too late. ?3.50 ($5 USD) on eBay, baby!
So...which orifices are we talkin' about? Because that's given me an idea for a new hero whose superhero name is too vulgar to write, but will rhyme with Venus Can.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Phoenixmgs said:
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a pretty awesome card-base boss fight game with original characters. It's obviously a physical card game but it's also on Steam and mobile.
I have it and enjoy the hell out of it (though I'm missing some addons still), it just didn't "take" with my friends so I have a bigass collector's case and no one to play with.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that as an obvious play on the comic book theme, there are "variant covers" for the hero cards that have alternate health and base powers. For example "America's Finest Legacy" also has "America's Greatest Legacy" which is a WW2 version and "America's Newest Legacy" which is a younger female version of Legacy (she only has 30 health and her power does 1 energy damage to 1 target). And also alternate art versions of most of those.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
KingsGambit said:
It's too late. ?3.50 ($5 USD) on eBay, baby!
So...which orifices are we talkin' about? Because that's given me an idea for a new hero whose superhero name is too vulgar to write, but will rhyme with Venus Can.
Well, I always judge a game based on how much enjoyment I got out of it vs. how much I paid for it. Even at $3.50... I'm not sure I could recommend it. Based on their promises, I was hoping to be able to make a mutant with a non-combat oriented power so I could complain, "If you don't pick lasers or claws they don't give you much of a way to get through the game." I wanted to complain there was no way to get through the game if you made Cypher, or someone with a power like that. But what they released... its like they weren't even trying. Its kind of telling you could get a copy for $3.50 considering how rare a copy must be. After the lawsuit with Epic (over the use of Unreal) they basically had to erase the game from existence as much as they could. And still its priced like a game with 50 copies of it sitting at a gamestop. Still, how cool would choosing a power and precisely how it manifested be? Like I could make a hero that could manifest a lightsaber from a specific part of his body? "The Adventures of T'aint Saber" sounds like an interesting comic. I guess the attack would look like Scrooges offense in the DuckTales platformer...