Comic Crisis

RockTalk21

Dec 21, 2008
Until a couple of weeks ago I had never picked up a comic book. In fact the only one I ever owned was "the death of superman", but I was too young to remember what that was about. Anyway, I've become super interested lately and have spent countless hours online trying to put everything together. I was hoping you guys could give me a good starting point that I could build a foundation on to better understand the dc and marvel universes (or universi?, not sure what the plural is). Because the more I read the more cornfuzed I get. I appreciate all comments and advice ahead of time.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
The Marvel Ultimate Universe is awesome. They rebooted a bunch of properties, like Spiderman, X-Men, The Avengers, and brought them in to the Twenty-First Century. I've always found the writing and the artwork to be fantastic in the series, and they're easier to keep track of then the default universe and all it's Uncanny, Amazing, Spectacular, etc, etc, variations.

Oh, and it seems that the Iron Man movies seem to be based of the Ultimates, as they have Sam Jackson as Nick Fury.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Yeah, unless you get one of those guides, comics can be pretty hard to follow.

Rebooted titles, like the Ultimate Universe can be pretty easy to slip into, as can a major "event", like a storyline they've been building up for weeks. Before buying them at a comic shop, keep an eye on the Marvel and DC websites to see what storylines they'll be publishing ahead of time.

Another option is buying trade paperbacks. These are collected editions of cetain issues or even a full series from the past. These, especially the critically acclaimed ones, can be good for entering comics.

Also, a good website for you might be Comic Vine.com, found here: http://www.comicvine.com/
It has a selection of news, as well as biographies for characters from all major publishers.

/Comic geek

RockTalk21

Dec 21, 2008
XJ-0461 said:
Yeah, unless you get one of those guides, comics can be pretty hard to follow.

Rebooted titles, like the Ultimate Universe can be pretty easy to slip into, as can a major "event", like a storyline they've been building up for weeks. Before buying them at a comic shop, keep an eye on the Marvel and DC websites to see what storylines they'll be publishing ahead of time.

Another option is buying trade paperbacks. These are collected editions of cetain issues or even a full series from the past. These, especially the critically acclaimed ones, can be good for entering comics.

Also, a good website for you might be Comic Vine.com, found here: http://www.comicvine.com/
It has a selection of news, as well as biographies for characters from all major publishers.

/Comic geek
Awesome, thanks broseph.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
RockTalk21 said:
Awesome, thanks broseph.
Hey, no worries. This is a private area of knowledge I have. Any excuse to share that knowledge is a good one.