Comics?

Ramrunner7

Jun 23, 2010
1985 by Mark Millar. That book is the reason why I read comics.

Also marvels Annihilation event and the Thanos Imperative if you like super heroes fighting giant squid in outer space

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Usagi Yojimbo. Right now.

Walking/ talking animals? Check.
Feudal Japan? Check.
A badass rabbit samurai? Hell yes.

Go read this comic. It's awesome.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If you are at all interested in super heroes and/or Star Wars-esque space operas I would have to suggest Marvel's "Annihilation" storyline. You can collect the whole thing in 3 volumes and you DON'T need any background information on the characters going in. It is my favorite comic book event of all time (even better than Secret Wars and Infinity Gauntlet imo) and has some super epic moments. Plus, they made Nova the biggest bad ass in space (after Super-Skrull ofcourse).

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
just like to throw this out there... but there's a lot of great webcomics out there too! and they range in all types of genres and styles, some even superheroy like Spinnerette [http://www.krakowstudios.com/spinnerette/] or some fantasy...y like (shameless plug) What's Shakin' [http://whatsshakincomic.com/]. and most of them are free so... have at it! >D

also, I'd like to second the library thing. I have a tiny tiny community library that has some very nice comic "collection" books. been meaning to dig through them one of these days.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I really can't suggest anything for you. Your best bet would be to go to a comic store, pick up a book and start reading. If you like what you see and want to know more, start reading the series from there.

That's pretty much how I got into reading Spider-Man and G.I. Joe back in the '90s.

Elidibus

Apr 15, 2011
I'll second the Marvel/DC stuff. The most recent edition of X-force was awesome, although you'd have to be familiar with the characters. And this isn't Uncanny X force. Just X force.

Also, if you're into graphic novels, Strangers in Paradise is probably the best drama in the sequential art area. Also, Maus by Speigleman was extremly awesome and the only saquential arts piece to win a Pulitzer. Maus is the story of Speigleman's father as he survived the concentration camp auschwitz back in WW2. Jews are mice, Germans are cats and Americans are Dogs. And he pulls no punches in his storytelling.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Hap2 said:
Maus
Persepolis
Transmetropolitan
V for Vendetta
Anything by Osamu Tezuka (Buddha, Black Jack, the Phoenix books if you can find them)
20th Century Boys

A little bit of everything from around the globe.
Maus and Persepolis are two of the most important "Comic" books of all time. I cannot recommend Maus: A Survivor's Tale enough. It is fan-bloody-tastic. Persepolis is similar and just as strong.

For superhero stuff, Kraven's Last Hunt a Spiderman tpb, Hitman a DC series, and if you can find them Suicide Squad, I think there is one tpb.

Kalabrikan

Jun 10, 2010
If you're looking for collected comic books, give these a try:

V for Vendetta
Marvelman/Miracleman
Transmetropolitan
The Walking Dead
Preacher
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns/The Long Halloween/Killing Joke/Arkham Asylum
Cerebus
Eightball

If you're looking for graphic novels (i.e. books with pictures), check out:

Maus
Tintin
Persepolis
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
Pyongyang
Blankets
Fun Home
Ghost World

If you want to check out Japanese manga, try:

Akira
Berserk
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Lone Wolf and Cub
20th Century Boys
Yotsuba
Monster
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

A fair chunk of the latter were made into anime (with 20th Century Boys receiving the live-action treatment), though their manga incarnates are more highly regarded.

Nulmas

Jul 16, 2010
Of the top of my head:

Transmetropolitan
All Star Superman
Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men
The Authority
Planetary
Superman: Red Son
Kraven's Last Hunt
Supreme (the Alan Moore reboot, not the Rob Liefeld crap)
X-Factor (the recent Peter David run, start with a mini-series called MadroX, if I remember correctly)
Hellblazer
Fables
Marvels
Earth-X

And just because someone mentioned Usagi Yojimno: If you like comedy, try reading some Groo :D

"I want my dog back! I would give you until the count of five if I could count to five!"- Groo

derob

Feb 17, 2011
look up anything by jason (that's the name of the artist)
Chris ware is pretty good as well.
the Hernandez brothers have a few interesting stories which i think are worth checking out as well.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Preacher is great.

If you want some webcomics to tide you over then Suicide For Hire or Looking For Group are pretty good.

I have also heard good things about "Concrete" which has won a bunch of awards for it's writing. Apparently it is about what would happen to a supernatural creature in real life as opposed to a universe like marvel.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Tsukuyomi said:
DC's Kingdom Come is always worth a read, along with everything else that's been mentioned so far in this topic.

However I will point out that while Watchmen and Sandman are great in their own right, going to Marvel or DC (personally I enjoy DC more, but I am finding some stuff to enjoy in Marvel) may be a bit of an interesting experience for you. Things aren't quite as grim or gritty as say Watchmen was, in current comics. Well, maybe a few are, but for the most part not really. The bottom line is that not all of it is going to be as awesome or groundbreaking or thought-provoking as those two titles, as well as some of the others listed in this topic, are. As long as you understand that, you'll be just fine, I think.

After that, I tend to find that I do best by going to the comic shop and wandering around. Picking up and reading a few pages of what I see that catches my attention. I found Green Lantern that way (yes, it's much better than the movie portrays it. Although contrary to popular belief, I don't think it was THAT awful.) and I've read others on a whim too.

So yeah...bottom line is just don't expect everything to be deep or thought-provoking, and don't be afraid to just try some random titles.
I was never able to like Kingdome Come. I think it's the pacing of the book, and a very cluttered panel layout.