ComiXology Update Removes In-App Purchases for iOS Users

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
ComiXology Update Removes In-App Purchases for iOS Users

Following Amazon's acquisition of ComiXology, an update to the popular digital comics platform's mobile app cuts out Apple, Google Play from purchases.

ComiXology is cutting out the middleman with the latest updates to its mobile applications. The digital comics retailer announced Saturday [http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/83931330905/important-changes] that its existing iOS applications were being retired, replaced with a new version that does not allow for in-app purchases. Users of the iOS app must now directly purchase digital comics from comiXology's website. The change removes Apple, and the 30% cut the iTunes App Store takes from all in-app purchases, from comiXology's sales. For Android users, in-app purchases remain available, but now all purchases are routed through comiXology's own storefront instead of Google Play.

The change comes only a few weeks after Amazon announced that it will expires on May 25 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133653-Amazon-To-Acquire-ComiXology-Within-The-Year].

Prior to the change, the iOS comiXology app was the top ranked application for in-app purchases on Apple devices. The exact reasons behind the change are just speculation at this point, but avoiding Apple's fee on each purchase would certainly boost comiXology's overall take. Several independent comic publishers have exclusive distribution deals with comiXology, and this change could benefit those creators most of all.

Source: ComiXology [http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/83931330905/important-changes]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
For those who don't know it is possible for comic book shops to open their own digital storefront on comixology. I like this because I can still support the comic book shop I used to buy from despite making the switch to digital. I really hope that Comixology getting rid of in app purchases for IOS and changing in app purchases for Android doesn't mean that they will also remove storefronts of other shops in comixology so that Amazon doesn't have to pay them a cut of the profits either.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I actually find this annoying and a hindrance. I don't want to buy directly through the storefront. It's just another DB to either save my CC info on, or I have to punch it in every single time. Cutting out convenience or security. Well, guess I'm done with digital comics.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
can't blame 'em for wanting to keep more of their money. it may be more inconvenient for some but ultimately if it means more profit and longevity then it's good. I know whenever an "indie" company gets bought by a bigger more visible company it's supposed to be a bad thing but amazon overall is a good company and very invested in their user friendliness and customer satisfaction. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I use it all the time on my kindle it just uses my amazon info and I don't have to save my cc info to another site. in-app purchases havn't changed on it so this doesn't affect me actually, but 30% is an understandable amount to want to not share.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Oof...that's risky as hell. I'm curious to see if it'll pay off or not.

On one hand, you're going to be making more money per sale. In theory, more money per sale equals a good idea.

However, convenience is an awfully big factor when it comes to purchases for people too. By taking a very convenient option away and forcing users to jump through more hoops to buy, you might just drive away the customers period.

Rock and a hard place anyone?

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I wonder how much money they'll end up saving. Sure, 30% is alot but the ease of browsing the app is not matched by their new storefront so I think they'll loose a few customers this way. I know a lot of my purchases are made from me just browsing while bored. Something I don't see myself doing with this extra hurdle.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Well....if I did use comixology I can't now

Oh well...guess I won't have to make a choice between physical and digital

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Can't see how this would be a surprise to anyone - Amazon doesn't need Apple, so there's no reason to pay them 30% for what Amazon can handle through their own online infrastructure.

I'm a lot more interested in Comixology now that it's an Amazon product given how much I enjoy and make use of all their other offerings.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah, the comics were very over-priced, but now I have a good excuse to not use this app and find "other" ways to read comics. It's a sad day for the real fans of a company I really wished I didn't have to support, but now I don't have to support them and I'll just make sure I back up the comics I did buy from them and I'm all set.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm all for cutting out Apple, but this is a weird choice.

Only comics I've purchased are through Amazon's Kindle service, so I don't know how good or bad this is.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
GamerMage said:
So they remove in-app purchase from iOS but Andriod gets to keep theirs? How the HELL is that THAT fair?! I'll now have to punch in my information every time I want 1 comic! This is bullcrap!
You'll only need to punch in the card every time if you're uncomfortable leaving it on file with Amazon.

Personally I spend a whole lot more money through Amazon than through Apple. They've had my credit card details since they were just a book store.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
nightmare_gorilla said:
can't blame 'em for wanting to keep more of their money. it may be more inconvenient for some but ultimately if it means more profit and longevity then it's good. I know whenever an "indie" company gets bought by a bigger more visible company it's supposed to be a bad thing but amazon overall is a good company and very invested in their user friendliness and customer satisfaction. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Ahaha, have I fallen through a portal into an alternate universe? Amazon is by no means "a good company". They treat their workers like crap, bully publishers into bad contracts (if you don't agree to sell your books under our conditions we'll just pull all your books) and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Those digital books and comicsbooks you paid good money for? You don't actually "own" them. If Amazon decides for whatever reason to remove them (such as disagreements with the publisher) you won't be able to access them again and you won't get any refunds either. Oh, and if Amazon decides they don't like YOU in particular (say, you returned too many items because they were defective) they can just kick you off Amazon, ban your Kindle and that thing will from then on only be a very expensive paperweight.

Seriously, Amazon can suck it.