Command and Conquer playerbase

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
Heya everyone,

So the C&C franchise is the midweek deal on steam, C&C 3, C&C red alert 3 and C&C 4.

Now, I haven't played a C&C since red alert 2 and I feel like taking one up again, been a while since I played an RTS so now is as good a time as any whilst these are on sale.

I don't know a great deal about the franchise but, I do remember a lot of people getting irked at the release of number 4. No idea why, I just know that some people did.

My only question is which of the C&C games has the majority player base?

I'm aware that peoples opinions on which has the better game play will differ but, truly, I don't really mind. Having not played any of the newer C&C games, I don't have any expectations so, I'm sure I will enjoy either game. Ideally I would buy both but due to financial constraints I can only make a single purchase right now so I'm going off current player recommendation.

The reason I ask for player base rather than game quality is because on more than one occasion I've bought a game only to find it doesn't have many players. For instance, I really enjoyed War hammer online: age of reckoning but it doesn't have many players left, so there wasn't much point to playing it.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who responds.

Also need to make a quick note: if you disagree with what someone has said then fair enough but, please don't argue it here. I don't want to be held accountable for arguing on the forums :(

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I was really into C&C 3, and it had a pretty big player base a few years ago. I'm sure it's died down since, but I know it still has some active players. More people played Vanilla last I checked. If you like C&C definitely check it out, it was a good return to form but also had a lot of unit variety and some really exciting fights. The single player campaign is worth the sales prices alone. Kanes Wrath is fun, but the new units feel like they mess up multiplayer a bit.

I never played RA3 or C&C4, but I know the former was considered pretty mediocre (though I think it runs on the same engine as C&C3, so it may come down to player preference) and the latter is supposed to be outright bad. All I really know about 4 is that you don't build bases, you instead have a big walking unit that cranks out whatever you want. I don't think it has resource gathering either, instead it has a sort of terrain control thing like Company of Heroes.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Starcraft...

Sorry. More seriously. Erm. If you're going to buy any of the games on the steam sale though, don't get C&C4. It's just bad. There's no resource collection or base buildinging, and there's a progressive unlock system in that, if you want the high end units and abilities, you just need t play a tonne more to get to whatever level to get it. I bought it ages ago and actually had some fun with it, but only as a super casual RTS sort of thing. If you're looking for any online play or a good challenge or whatever, you won't find it there.

RA3 is like RA2, but a bit slower and more gimmicky but it isn't too bad. For the price you probably won't be disappointed. C&C3 I haven't tried, but I picked it up in the sale because I've heard it's pretty ok.

rastlin1985

Sep 16, 2009
C&C4 is one of the worst games i've ever played. Certainly the worst RTS.

If you've a hankering for some C&C action, i really enjoyed C&C3, really hams up the between mission bits!

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
SuperNova221 said:
Starcraft...
Hehehe I already have Starcraft! I love it but it has been the RTS which I've played the most. I'm in the market for something a little different and this is a franchise which I've always been interested in so, nows a good a time as any to give it a shot.

rastlin1985 said:
C&C4 is one of the worst games i've ever played. Certainly the worst RTS.

If you've a hankering for some C&C action, i really enjoyed C&C3, really hams up the between mission bits!
Yeah I heard bad things about number 4 but, having not played it myself I cant really give a fair opinion of it.

bluesession

Sep 8, 2008
I like Red Alert 3, in fact I LOVE Red Alert 3. I played arround 90 hours, but I never played a lot online as (since i'm from argentina) i had some little lag.

Last time I played (3 months ago) there was enough people playing it. Enough to find an oficial skirmish room with some luck. Though there weren't more than 10 custom rooms at a time.
That said, I played the co-op campaing (my favourite part) several times and this last time I played I could find people to play it too... worth mentioning that there is no automatic match maker for the co-op campaign (as there is one for the competitive skirmish) so you have to ask for someone to play in the in-game chat.

As for C&C3, I can't say, but C&C4 was a complete flop, I would be surprised if there is anyone playing it.

RA3 its 8 dollars, I think its the best "classic" rts of the last years (I like it more than starcraft) and you will be able to play some matches for sure.(just don't expect as many people as there is playing starcraft)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
RA 3 is really damn good, I haven't played it multi but the single is really cool, don't get C&C 4, ea fucked it up badly. It had potential but they really messed it up and the plot is amazingly bad, not good bad, just bad and it doesn't even fit with the series.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
4 is balls, RA3 is unbalanced, so much so that it ruins campaign. C&C3 is ok, Kane's Wrath is good, but the mega-units pretty much break any actual strategy.

I'd stick to Yuri's Revenge TBH.

Hezz

Dec 17, 2011
IMO, all of the C&C games, except for C&C4, are well worth it, especially for the current Steam sale prices.

Worgen said:
RA 3 is really damn good, I haven't played it multi but the single is really cool, don't get C&C 4, ea fucked it up badly. It had potential but they really messed it up and the plot is amazingly bad, not good bad, just bad and it doesn't even fit with the series.
I have to agree with this. Red Alert 3 was a pretty good game, personally I loved it but I can see how it's not everyone's type of game. Coop was probably the gimmick feature of that game in which you could have two players go through the campaign, and usually both players had their own unique roles and positions.

For example, one mission had one player controlling a base of operations to support the other player, who only controlled one single unit, an incredibly powerful experimental weapon. Another mission, one player has a base on land to oversea the land assault on the enemy base, while the other player's base is out in the ocean. I mean, literally in the ocean, not a piece of land nearby, and was only able to build the structures that can be built on the water's surface (meaning no barracks or war factory, pretty much), so he was in charge of the naval and aerial assaults. The only problem with the Coop gimmick though is that if you play singleplayer, an AI controls the second base. Now, the AI is smart enough that you won't really be handicapped in any way, but the fact that you have 2 people against your enemy tends to make the game pretty easy, even with an AI in control of the second base.

One of the reasons why previous C&C games were difficult was because the enemy would often constantly throw a solid line of mixed units at you, making it difficult to defend for a while until you finally manage to solidify your defenses and begin making attacks. With two players, usually only one person will be attacked at a time, meaning both players get regular breathers to build up and stomp the enemy. It had a LOT of potential, but the fact that an AI ally is never going to be as useful as an actual player for an ally meant that they had to tone down the difficulty else you're going to lose your ally in singleplayer fast and then, chances are, you'll lose simply because your ally was in control of something vitally important, and can't finish the mission without it. The standalone expansion pack, Uprising, fixes this by making it just you alone, no assistance, but of course that means no coop mode either, and the expansion itself has no multiplayer at all, either. It's purely singleplayer, but challenging singleplayer. The campaigns are short but pretty decent, but it's the challenge mode where Uprising shined, being moderately easy to complete, but quite difficult to beat under the par time, and yes, finishing under par time for every challenge (50 challenge missions) grants an extra reward. Just a bonus FMV clip, an extra star to your name, and a slight main menu change, but still, pretty nice.

Back to Red Alert 3 itself, with the multiplayer, the units themselves are rather fragile, and with the usual rock-paper-scissors routine C&C games usually have, this means that an entire army can die extremely fast without doing much damage at all. I think this is one of the main reasons why people prefer C&C 3 over RA3, C&C's units are all beefy and even when countered will last long enough for you to at least do a little damage or do something to minimise your losses. With RA3, things die so fast that if you're countered, it's probably better to just leave them to die while you go back to base to build your own counter to THEIR counter. That said, a mixed army will perform very well, and is a part of the strategy of RA3, trying to predict what your enemy is going to build, how to counter it, and how to counter whatever they'll try to counter you with.

C&C4, however.... that was a mess. The gameplay itself was... alright... it had potential but it never lived up to its potential. An RTS C&C game with a mobile base rather than a constructed stationary base has its merits, especially considering that there's 3 types of mobile bases (offensive, can only build strong attack units, defensive, builds infantry that digs in rather well as well has stationary turrets, the closest thing to a base this game has, and the support base which flies, constructs aircraft and has a large array of support powers). But the lack of resources was probably the biggest downfall. With no resources, not only is there nowhere on the map that you need to be, but also your only limit in army is population capacity and time. This makes singleplayer VERY easy, as you can just spam units at the enemy, from any direction. The only time the game becomes difficult is when you have to try to protect something, or take something within a certain amount of time, but even then once you know what the units counter, its still easy.

Multiplayer solved this by making it a control point game. You needed to control enough points for long enough to win. This means that everyone needed to help defend or attack the points. Unfortunately, the game is still a case of spam-to-win, and games generally devolve into "They just spammed at that point and captured it, so we'll spam at this other point to capture it while they're too far away to defend!". A decidedly cat-and-mouse game.

The plot also had potential. It was supposed to answer all the questions on who Cain was, and why he never seemed to die, what his goal was, everything. Unfortunately, all it gave us was just one more big open ended question, without answering anything else in return. They also seemed to try to make the story much more dramatic. Hell, they even give you, the player, a backstory, and a wife, who's only reason for being in the game seems to be to try to put in sappy little "Please come back to me!" moments. It just didn't feel like C&C at all.

I actually liked the unit progression, though. Earning experience from completing mission objectives and accomplishing little minor goals like killing more enemies and losing less, in order to unlock new units that, while stronger, don't necessarily outclass the earlier units, felt like a rewarding system. Of course, this comes to the problem where you could just repeat the first mission constantly to get stronger units, and once you unlock a unit you can use it in any mission.... yeah. I liked the unit progression, but that only really works on the first playthrough and only if you actually try to complete the campaign with what you have at the time. You can't reset your experience progression at all, even when you've maxed out your XP, and you can exploit it too easily. Its a nice little gimmick I thought, but just like everything else in C&C4, it was poorly implemented.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Red Alert 3 has the most, but C&C 3 still has some players. I don't know about Kane's Wrath.

COMMAND AND CONQUER 4 SHALL NOT BE MENTIONED!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well with C&C4 and Read Alert 3 being the worst RTS games I ever played I would highly advise you skip this all together.

After playing with those new piles of poop I was starting to think my love for Red Alert 2 was some sort of childish fantasy so I dug up the old discs to see what's what, and that game is still sooo fucking good... I don't even know what the shit they were doing with the new ones.

Aug 1, 2010
Such a shame that Generals isn't one of the games, it was and still is awesome.

OT: I've played all three of those games, and I say you should choose Red Alert 3. Though it's not as good as the first two, it is still a solid RTS.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Kratenser said:
Now, I haven't played a C&C since red alert 2...
Keep it that way, as far as the Red Alert series is concerned. Red Alert 3 is a horrendously bad game. Shitty cliched story, pointless "co-op" mode, boring and predictable combat, and borderline offensive pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Oh, but it has D-list celebrities! -_-

From the sale, I would suggest C&C3. I felt Kane's Wrath was kinda meh, and I have yet to really play my C&C4.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
I can't say I ever played any of them online, but avoid my mistake and don't get C&C 4 just to find out what happened after C&C 3's extremely well written ending... they utterly dorked the entire game up from top to bottom and the result can barely be called an RTS let alone a C&C game.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
The biggest community is probably C&C3 Kanes Wrath. The place to go is GameReplays.org [http://www.gamereplays.org/kaneswrath/]. Pretty much the entire KW community is over there.
C&C3 might be bigger though, I'm actually not sure. I'm biased towards KW.
There is also a smaller RA3 community there, but not nearly as active as KW.
C&C4 is kinda dead. I think it lasted a month.
Most people have moved on to other games, either because the games are starting to get old, the metagame grew stale (they're not terribly complex games), or because of depression as a result from exposure to C&C4.

MRMIdAS2k said:
4 is balls, RA3 is unbalanced, so much so that it ruins campaign. C&C3 is ok, Kane's Wrath is good, but the mega-units pretty much break any actual strategy.
RA3 isn't that unbalanced. I guess Soviet requires less micro than Empire/Allies (with Chopper/Tengu vs Vindicator/Apollo dominating the mid-game), but I don't think any one faction has a game-breakingly large advantage.
KW Epic units are of course a big focus in the late game, but there are usually options for EMP or just straight up base trading. T59 prodigy hexapod w/corruptor is kinda OP, I'll grant you that. But C&C4 sucks. I think people have said it before.

But honestly, if you want playerbase and RTS, then StarCraft 2 kinda has the monopoly now. C&C games are good fun, but relative to the community size of other multiplayer games, it's on the desolate side.

Chris Pond

Mar 6, 2010
If you're going to get C&C3, check out Desura.com, it's a steam-like app that gives you access to an impressive database of mods for different games, one of which is Tiberium Essence for C&C3.

I'd recommend playing through C&C3 without mods first though, then check out the mods afterwards, there's plenty to choose from, Essence is just my personal favourite ^^

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Chris Pond said:
If you're going to get C&C3, check out Desura.com, it's a steam-like app that gives you access to an impressive database of mods for different games, one of which is Tiberium Essence for C&C3.

I'd recommend playing through C&C3 without mods first though, then check out the mods afterwards, there's plenty to choose from, Essence is just my personal favourite ^^
Oh snap, who got Tiberian Sun all over my C&C3? That actually looks like a really cool mod.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
klasbo said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
RA3 isn't that unbalanced. I guess Soviet requires less micro than Empire/Allies (with Chopper/Tengu vs Vindicator/Apollo dominating the mid-game), but I don't think any one faction has a game-breakingly large advantage.
In MP, no, but especially in campaign the Allies chuck so many carriers at you it seems they've broken the unit limit 3 times over, the expansion gets worse too, it's so broken there's no multiplayer at all.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
MRMIdAS2k said:
klasbo said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
In MP, no, but especially in campaign the Allies chuck so many carriers at you it seems they've broken the unit limit 3 times over, the expansion gets worse too, it's so broken there's no multiplayer at all.
C&C never had a unit limit, until number 4, which I would even hesitate to call an RTS, it always felt similar to an absolutly terrible world in conflict rip off then a Command and conquer game. C&C 3 and Kane's wrath would probably have the largest community, but uprising is fun to screw around in skirmishes because of the completely over the top units they added.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Daymo said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
klasbo said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
C&C never had a unit limit, until number 4, which I would even hesitate to call an RTS, it always felt similar to an absolutly terrible world in conflict rip off then a Command and conquer game. C&C 3 and Kane's wrath would probably have the largest community, but uprising is fun to screw around in skirmishes because of the completely over the top units they added.
C&C 3, KR and RA3 all have Unit Limits on 360.