Commander and You: A Beginners Guide to EDH

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
s0osleepie said:
CounterAttack said:
I recently built an EDH deck, though it has yet to be tested. My problem with them is that I don't have very much to choose from for a Commander...
If a decent Commander is your issue, I would recommend looking into getting your hands on a box of From the Vault: Legends. [http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/774] It is a little pricey, but if you can get together a friend or two to split it with, it will provide a GREAT pool of Commanders to use.
The thing about those legends, though, is that I have absolutely no idea what I would do with any of them. I don't know how to build a deck around a strategy, or how to make the end product of cards greater than the sum of their parts... that's why all my decks are so scattered and without certain win conditions.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
ccggenius12 said:
Wall'o'text
We've already gone over this interaction in the thread, but thank you anyway. It's not an interaction I've encountered before and don't like giving wrong rulings, but hey judges are human too.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
My commander is pretty useful in a recursion style deck. I designed my EDH deck to be 20% "throw away dragons".

I also tend to be a bit possessive of my stuff.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
fanklok said:
ccggenius12 said:
Wall'o'text
We've already gone over this interaction in the thread, but thank you anyway. It's not an interaction I've encountered before and don't like giving wrong rulings, but hey judges are human too.
I noticed that shortly after my posting, and edited accordingly. I didn't remove anything because I feel that an in depth explanation is not a bad thing.

Herb sewell

Mar 30, 2009
CounterAttack said:
s0osleepie said:
CounterAttack said:
I recently built an EDH deck, though it has yet to be tested. My problem with them is that I don't have very much to choose from for a Commander...
If a decent Commander is your issue, I would recommend looking into getting your hands on a box of From the Vault: Legends. [http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/774] It is a little pricey, but if you can get together a friend or two to split it with, it will provide a GREAT pool of Commanders to use.
The thing about those legends, though, is that I have absolutely no idea what I would do with any of them. I don't know how to build a deck around a strategy, or how to make the end product of cards greater than the sum of their parts... that's why all my decks are so scattered and without certain win conditions.
You can also buy one of the precon commander decks for about $30 bucks and customize it with what you do have. They already have a good deal of synergy and a few win conditions already packed inside.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Herb sewell said:
You can also buy one of the precon commander decks for about $30 bucks and customize it with what you do have. They already have a good deal of synergy and a few win conditions already packed inside.
$30 for you, perhaps. A pre-constructed Commander deck is roughly $55 in New Zealand dollars, last I checked. While I am spending $35 (probably) on the Dark Ascension Prerelease, I don't think I can afford to pick up a Commander deck.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
My EDH deck has Karador as its general. It's based on "comes into play" and "leaves play" effects.

Also:
vxicepickxv said:
I also tend to be a bit possessive of my stuff.
Then this land is for you!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
My EDH deck is the deck I enjoy playing the most.

A Dragon-themed deck with Scion of the Ur-Dragon as general.

While it may not win every game, when it clicks, it is terrifying.