Comment Sections: Well this one dies in that certain book and will happen in series, Me: You idiot!!

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Morning to all in the Escapist,

So, so and damn so, why do certain people ruin the fun and adventure for others when we are getting into something and not put SPOILER ALERTS?!?!?

I see this many times in the YouTube comments section whenever a certain YouTuber is talking about a certain series like Game of Thrones or Hunger Games and etc. Heck even comic book movies get spoiled before they even get released. What's worse is that when you tell those that spoiled the surprise for you because they couldn't keep their mouth shut, that they shouldn't have done that, they then turn around saying "Well read the bloody book then". SERIOUSLY??

You know what if their aim was to troll in an extreme way then congratulations on that, their life must seen achieved after that, but what you need to realise that some people, like myself, take it information and entertainment more visually rather than through written text. I'm a visual person and many others are literal and thats totally fine but really piss taking when trolls do this. Well I think thats why they are called trolls and in this case, it's not easy to ignore them.

Is there a difference between spoiling something that has aready been out in movie form, eg. a twist in the Sixth Sense, and spoiling something that is soon to come out eg. Game of Thrones that isn't out yet but some info is in the books? Or is it equally bad either way?

Also what are similar moments you had when someone ruined an up and coming series or movie for you, by saying it out and loud in a forum with no spolier alert warning and then say "well it's in the book", "read the book then"?

Comment below and thank you for reading and if you want to put any kind of spoiler, please insert warnind and spoiler bar. Thank you.

CAPTCHA: "this statement is false" - Thanks? lol

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It happened to me with a pretty shocking death in The Sopranos when I was over a season away from the event.
That was in a thread here, actually.
That one really annoyed me.

Also, if I was reading a book my ex had already read he had a really bad habit or asking me "if I had got to the part where X happens" rather than asking me where I was in the story.
So many spoilers! :D

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Somebody spoiled the death of an Atlas Shrugged character to me, also in this forum. The worst part was he practically told me to suck it up if I hadn't read the book by then. "Book is old, character isn't that important", bla bla bla. When I insisted he should still use spoiler tags he kind of just laughed at the idea. Not cool, person.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I doubt anyone is going to like this post, but spoilers don't bug me. I'll still read/watch whatever. Will I go out of my way to spoil something for someone? Nope. But if I'm in a topic or page discussing a certain novel, film, etc, yeah I'm not using spoiler tags. And I'm definitely not using spoiler tags for anything that's been out more than a decade. Especially older novels like Lord of the Rings.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Honestly, Storm of Swords came out in 2000 and AFFC in 2006. How do you spoil a book that came out 14 years ago... or for another recent series, Hobbit was released over 70 years ago.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Eh, I think if you're reading the comments on any property that based on something else that's been out for any length of time you ought to know that you're taking a risk.

There are certain moderated forums that take spoiler-free discussion seriously, so if you want to talk GoT (or the Hunger Games, or whatever) without hearing from people who are going to talk about the books, you're probably better off sticking to those spaces.

Personally though, I generally don't mind spoilers - I frequently read book or comic series (or watch tv series) out of order just to be sure that their quality doesn't hinge on curiosity about plot-points.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Turns out that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father.

But seriously, whilst I appreciate that spoilers are somewhat annoying, when I come across unwanted spoilers I tend to just shrug it off, some people get far too upset about it.

Especially concerning stuff like Game of Thrones. In my opinion, if you care THAT fucking much about it, then read the fucking books.

Auberon said:
Honestly, Storm of Swords came out in 2000 and AFFC in 2006. How do you spoil a book that came out 14 years ago... or for another recent series, Hobbit was released over 70 years ago.
This.

Peoples laziness and illiteracy is no reason for me not to discuss things I enjoy discussing.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Stu35 said:
Turns out that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father.

But seriously, whilst I appreciate that spoilers are somewhat annoying, when I come across unwanted spoilers I tend to just shrug it off, some people get far too upset about it.

Especially concerning stuff like Game of Thrones. In my opinion, if you care THAT fucking much about it, then read the fucking books.

Auberon said:
This.

Peoples laziness and illiteracy is no reason for me not to discuss things I enjoy discussing.
It's kinda ironic that you're bitching about people being lazy for not reading a lengthy book series when you're not even arsed putting simple spoiler tags around a portion of your post.

Some people just want to watch the show/film without reading the books, there's no need to be so smug about the fact that you've read them.
This is coming from someone who has read them all (GoT/LoTR).

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Colour Scientist said:
It's kinda ironic that you're bitching about people being lazy for not reading a lengthy book series when you're not even arsed putting simple spoiler tags around a portion of your post.
I assure you, it's not laziness. It's maliciousness.

Although I do, on this forum, put spoiler tags around spoilers as per the forum Code of Conduct (and also, despite all my bluster, I'm not a total ****).

Some people just want to watch the show/film without reading the books,
I'm well aware, I have plenty of friends in that boat.

there's no need to be so smug about the fact that you've read them.
I disagree. My smugness comes from a known place of intellectual supremacy - In simple playground terms, I quite literally know something that they don't know.

Tongue-in-cheekness aside (for my last couple of sentences were not entirely serious), the fact remains that I have read these books, and I will not be prevented from talking about them by those who choose not to.

I wouldn't begrudge people conversing about books I've not read and have no intention of reading.

Don't get me wrong, It's not as though I go around telling strangers the plot points of popular things, nor do I insist upon sharing details with unwilling friends, I'm strictly talking about myself and other consenting adults talking about shared reading - or not, in the case of those who've not read the books but are interested to find out what happens (for they do exist).

I make exceptions for those who are intending to see/read things(in the NEAR future), but when I'm down the pub and my peers and I are discussing our feelings about this plot twist or that favourite character getting murdered, then someone from the next table on asking us to please refrain from such conversation will be met with laughter.

Possibly some abuse as well, depending on how much I've had to drink. I'm pretty belligerent when it comes to people attempting to censor me.

TL;DR: I will not be halted from conversation about things I've read, watched or am interested in for the sake of those who've chosen not to.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Auberon said:
Well let me say this then, So what if they came out in 2000,2007 and 70 odd years ago? There are many people and new readers who may have started reading those series now and if you just tell them the key points and spoilers before they even turn the first page, they will just give up and feel annoyed at what you did or just find no excitement in it and just not bother. You need to think about all sides to this. Just because these books, or in my case movies, came out years ago, doesn't mean it's okay to spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet. It's about being considerate.

An author wouldn't tell everyone the twist of the story they wrote decades ago, now because that would be silly. They want new readers and viewers no matter how old the books are. They would only discuss that certain moment, if and when it comes up in a private discussion based on that part of the story, in which those who are interested in the background and meaning, would be there to find out.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I don't like it with spoilers for things like The Hobbit and other books/ tales that are really old, under the pretence that 'oh they've been out for years' yeah but I haven't! And just because they've been out for ages doesn't mean I've read them yet, the Bible has been out a while and I haven't read that!

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Tom_green_day said:
I don't like it with spoilers for things like The Hobbit and other books/ tales that are really old, under the pretence that 'oh they've been out for years' yeah but I haven't! And just because they've been out for ages doesn't mean I've read them yet, the Bible has been out a while and I haven't read that!
Jesus dies.

I'd say a lot of it depends on context. If talking about an interpretation in another medium (ie, the OP examples), then spoiling is just awful. But I've also seen people complain about spoilers from an episode of a TV show inside a thread talking about that very episode...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This is why I don't read Youtube comments until I'm finished watching the vid or the series of videos. If it happens here in the Escapist Forums... Well shit, I just had that spoiled. Not cool. :/

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
9thRequiem said:
Tom_green_day said:
Jesus dies.

I'd say a lot of it depends on context. If talking about an interpretation in another medium (ie, the OP examples), then spoiling is just awful. But I've also seen people complain about spoilers from an episode of a TV show inside a thread talking about that very episode...
Damn it!! He dies?? I was half way through that book... of something. I am kidding ladies and gents.

I do see the few odd complaints of people being upset when they see a spoiler in a thread clearly marked "spoiler alerts in this thread". Also it's terrible when you are reading a news story about a certain actor who is currently in a series and then below out of nowhere some idiot brings up the show they are in and expose something about the character they play. It had nothing to do with the show/book but yet that person still thought it was a great idea to just open their big mouth.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
The Hobbit is annoying me at the moment, simply because it's something I've openly discussed my whole life and suddenly people get annoyed about it >.< Seriously, I don't go around spoiling things deliberately or to strangers or whatever, but I'm a Tolkien nut. Always have been. All my friends know this. So why do I suddenly have to tiptoe round something I've been discussing for years? Hell, I'm pretty sure I've "spoiled" the whole thing for them before now and they didn't care. If you're suddenly interested, the book's been there since 1937, and it's not exactly War and Peace, it's a kids' book! It would take no time to read! Aaaaaaargh!

[sub][sub]It's possible I'm exaggerating a bit[/sub][/sub]

Ahem.

Overall, I don't (usually) seek out spoilers, but I don't get too upset when I stumble across them either, particularly not when something's been out a while. I'm not so self-important as to believe that everyone else should hold back on the off chance that I haven't read/seen something yet and might do so in the future, that's just silly.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
It's entirely possible for a book to be old and have people who are interested in reading it who don't know the story or plot.

Case in point; the Hobbit. The book is 70 years old. I'm not. Someone could also have lived all those 70 years and have just heard of the series.

But back here on the forums, the powers that be created an easy-to-use function for this specific purpose. It would also be nice if everyone talking about a subject made it obvious that they were talking about the story/plot in the title of the thread and avoided spoiling anything by doing so.