Common Misconceptions

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Misconception: Waaah! The movie directors made all these shitty changes to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ruining Douglas Adam's books!

Fact: Most of the changes, including Vogsphere, Huma Kavula, the POV Gun and the happier ending were originally created by Douglas Adams himself from earlier scripts of the film before his death.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Misconception: Waaah! The movie directors made all these shitty changes to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ruining Douglas Adam's books!

Fact: Most of the changes, including Vogsphere, Huma Kavula, the POV Gun and the happier ending were originally created by Douglas Adams himself from earlier scripts of the film before his death.
And the world thanks you for saying so.

OT: Video games do not equal violence. Video game players who already have issues equal violence and the game just happened to be there.

You cannot have a war on terror. Terrorism is merely an idealogy and ideas are fucking bulletproof. You can only attack terrorists.

For that manner, you cannot grind anything forbidden or illegal into the ground and hope it stops like magic. Until you make people NOT WANT TO DO THESE THINGS, you have failed in your mission. The more you dig, the further it burrows and will never be drawn out completely.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Most people assume that theistic evolution, and an allegorical interpretation of the book of Genesis only came about after Darwin published Origin of Species, and before that, everyone assumed the Bible was 100% literal. It was actually the other way around. Biblical Literalism was the response to the Theory of Evolution.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Water does not conduct electricity.

It is the salt IN the water that conducts electricity.

Distilled water = safe and sound.

Sean565

Jan 16, 2011
acronyms and initialisms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZynsHG8QM
you can pronounce acronyms, but not initialisms. Most people just group it all as acronyms, but they are wrong.

Xixikal

Apr 6, 2011
If she floats, she's a witch ... WRONG!
If she weighs the same as a duck, she's a witch ('cause she's made of wood).

AND

Bulls are not enraged by the colour red (they are dichromatic) - the movement of fabric angers them.
Chickens, however, are enraged by red things.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
That an apostrophe denotes a plural. "I have 3 PS3's and 2 car's". It really fucking doesn't, and i wish death on your family for such a shameful belief...i suppose a slap across the face will do, however.

Something i learned from an angry high horse'd friend the other day was that irony is "when you say one thing, but mean another". The commonly used idea of irony is that it's when a desired action has the opposite effect; this is actually "situational irony".

Squallie Greenthumb

May 16, 2011
Mtv reality shows aren't scripted.
Autotune is a new style of "spaceman" hip hop
UFO means an alien spacecraft
The Robin that died was Dick Grayson
Twilight is the first time vampires became wussy lovesick pedophiles, though it is the worst.
The Simpsons live in the Springfield in your state.

That last one actually needs to be explained. When I was younger I read Simpsons comics (i'd still read them but my habit is already up to 70 bucks a week on comics and that's not including when a trade paperback that I want is out. In the letters to the editor section every issue had people listing all these reasons why it was the Springfield in their state and they would kindly point out that the Simpsons' America is not our America (we have a 4 points monument they have a 5, there are no real Springfields that touch the ocean and so on).

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Poland did NOT attack German tanks with horse-mounted cavalry during World War II. While Poland did have a sizeable cavalry force, they were primarily used as mobile reconnaissance and only executed full-on charges against foot soldiers (and only on rare occasions at that). The myth got started when war correspondents observed the aftermath of a skirmish, where a Polish cavalry brigade was ambushed by armored vehicles after charging an infantry position.