Common skills you can't do.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I also struggle with small talk with people I don't know or barely know. One of the reasons I avoid one on one interaction with strangers as much as possible. I have a friend who does it effortlessly. He can strike up and keep a good conversation going with anyone.

I used to be able to snap both my fingers, but after I broke my left arm when I was 15 or so and finally got the cast off, I have been unable to get a good snap with my left hand. I think my tendons tightened up a bit in that hand so my middle finger doesn't quite have the range of motion that it used to. So maybe it's similar for those of you who've said you can't snap your fingers, perhaps your thumb doesn't quite reach the right position. When I compare them, the bottom(print) of my left thumb isn't quite squarely pressed against my middle finger and that seems to be required to get enough resistance before letting your middle finger slide off it and smack against the base of the thumb.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Can't swallow pills. Really fucks me over when it comes to taking medicine. I've tried it with water and it still won't go down, the water will. But not the god damn pill I need.

mrvenom

Jan 3, 2010
I really, really, really can't dance. I can be suave when necessary, but not on the dance floor. Oh no.

Can't snap my fingers. I can crack or twist every other part of my body (and some reaally freaky thumb stuff) but i just can't snap my fingers.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Can't dance or sing. Don't have a driver's licence.

Also, can't do a decent bird call, which is annoying because I used to be able to.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I can't whistle or write cursive. I learned cursive in school but never liked it or used it so I totally forgot.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Spambot 3000 said:
I can't snap my fingers no matter how hard I try.
I used to be like this.

Just kept trying and trying till I got it.

Now I can't stop. Friends won't stop taking the piss out of me.

BoogieManFL said:
I also struggle with small talk with people I don't know or barely know.
Everyone struggles with small talk, cos it sucks. Gotta move that convo into something more engaging.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I've almost figured out how to roll those cursed Rs.

That said, my snapping is more of a weak "fwip" than a snap, and I simply cannot hold my breath underwater.

I can constantly exhale when underwater, but just hold it? Nope, my brain seizes up. Makes it harder to swim than I'd like it to be.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I can't do that misty-spit thing that...I think Triple-H did during his opening in the WWE.
Try this: Can you make a high-pitched "FWEEEEEEEEE" with your lips?

If so, that's what it takes to do a spit mist.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
I'm Canadian and I can't skate. Shh, don't tell anyone in Canada, I might get beat up.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i can't drive.
well i can drive, i just hate it and tense up and can't drive for more than an hour and when i lost my license a couple of years ago i just couldn't be bothered to retake the test. thank god i live in a place with good public transportation

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I can't whistle so I carry around one of those extremely loud "survival" whistles. You know, just in case.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Whenever I enter a pool of water that reaches over my shoulders, I suddenly gain concrete feet.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Nouw said:
I can't sing in my falsetto, it's more of a wheeze
Same here, when I reach it my voice just cuts out. Though to make up for it, I do have a relatively large vocal range.
I can't swim, but I also cannot psychologically learn due to my irrational fear of deep water. Water gets too deep my logical part of my brain shuts off and I panic regardless of the situation.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I can't iron for shit!

I kind of fluked it a few times but awhile ago I had to iron an interview shirt, after 45 mins (no joke) of "ironing" this shirt it still looked like an old rhino's scrotum!

I don't know what I was doing wrong, how can running a hot metal plate over clothes be so hard?!? I would smooth one part out, position it to a new position to flatten it out and first bit was wrinkled again! I was like a mummy tiger carrying her baby tigers but it still wrinkled, HOW!?

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
I can't:

-hold a normal conversation with someone I don't know for long without starting to experience extreme physical discomfort. Oddly, I'm fine at public speaking. I just can't hold a one on one convo with someone I don't know pretty well.
-dry swallow pills
-dance
-appreciate music very much (really. I'm just not a fan of basically ANY music. I prefer silence or just regular speaking; I'll turn on a movie to listen to the dialogue rather than turn on music.)
-snap my fingers
-feel any affect of drugs or alcohol. Alcohol can sometimes get me slightly tipsy, but I literally have no idea what being high is like whether it's pills or pot. Cigarettes also have no affect on me.
-hold a pencil properly; I basically clutch mine in a fist.
-type properly; I peck instead of home-rowing.
-hold down a job effectively. Not sure if I'm just lazy or useless or what but I can never stay at a job long; I get the itch to leave and it gets to the point I can't sleep or eat or think of anything else till I do. I usually regret it afterwards too, heh. I probably need some therapy about this one.

And a whole host of other stuff too, I'm sure. I'm good at a lot of stuff, like cooking and cleaning and helping people get well and stretching a dollar as far as it'll go and keeping up with things but I'm so useless at a lot of vital things, like talking and having a job. Urk.

Captcha: hot dog roll. Uhh okay. I guess I can cook you one of those, Escapist forum.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
any form of mathematics, its a huge issue. i also have a hard time remembering names and faces, included street names and addresses. oy

i have land marks EVERYWHERE

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Swim
Also eat in public
If I zone out it is possible, but whenever I try to embrace the fact that there are people around I can't food anymore

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've managed to overcome most of the following but still struggle with them. They are all things that others have previously mentioned.
I cannot swim worth a damn. I can do it well enough to keep myself alive but that's it.
I cannot whistle worth a damn. I've managed my own unique ability but it isn't very good.
I cannot snap my fingers worth a damn. I struggled with this for years. I can now sort of do it.....after 4 or 5 attempts.