Community Disconnect

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Lately I've been feeling rather disconnected from The Escapist Community. I don't like nor understand the "shitposting" that goes on in the Wild West and overall I just feel like the community has gotten much more hostile. I don't understand the friction between the moderation team and staff and the rest of the community. In my mind, since Defy has abandoned the site we all should be working together (volunteer staff/mods/regular members) to try and hold what's left of the site together.
I don't want to leave just yet as I have been here for nearly a decade, but also because I don't know where else to go. I did need to get that off my chest however.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I feel like the site has gotten less hostile from when the GG storm was raging, but more hostile than the golden years.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Lots of oldguard thinking that the glory days were better and more civilised and people who think that loose restrictions means that they can recreate a poor man's version of 4chan.

There is a disconnect but that's probably because people have clustered into smaller groups outside of the Escapist, exactly as was predicted by people forewarning of the site's demise.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:
Lately I've been feeling rather disconnected from The Escapist Community. I don't like nor understand the "shitposting" that goes on in the Wild West and overall I just feel like the community has gotten much more hostile. I don't understand the friction between the moderation team and staff and the rest of the community. In my mind, since Defy has abandoned the site we all should be working together (volunteer staff/mods/regular members) to try and hold what's left of the site together.
I don't want to leave just yet as I have been here for nearly a decade, but also because I don't know where else to go. I did need to get that off my chest however.
You don't say. Working together. Like... Like...

Canadamus Prime said:
I couldn't be bothered to read all that, I only got as far as "elections" However I will say the same thing I brought up on Wynn's declaration. The Escapist is not some sort of nation, it is a privately owned and operated website. It doesn't have a constitution guaranteeing you anything, it has a Code of Conduct which YOU are expected to follow. It is not a democracy and we does't need elections. It has a staff of volunteers trying to hold the site together and all this whining isn't helping.
Oh right, we're not a democracy. Shit. Guess we'll go back to shitposting. Nice whining though. Top notch.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Mate, you don't like the Wild West, that's fine. Really, it is. But it isn't stopping your from enjoying the rest of what's left of the site. There's like 7 other subforums in different states of activity around here. There's nothing stopping you from going to them, and there's nothing forcing you to poke your nose in WW. I could name a dozen regulars offhand I've never seen post in WW, and I could probably find plenty more if I was asses to make a list.

Really, you want to know why there's hostility going around? It's folks poking their nose into the WW, complaining that it's stinking the place up, even though y'all are the ones who elected to stick their nose in a pile of shit. That's innately invasive, and invasions are innately offensive. And there are precious few offensives that are not fought back against.

Just... just don't go to WW. Read Off-Topic. Argue in R&P. Watch the streams, watch the old vids that get spotlighted, have fun chatting about games. This site provides all of that, even in its current state. What, just what, is so hard about not going to the one place on the site you don't like in the midst of all that. I hate GID. Ergo, I don't go to GID. And I don't feel the need to go into GID saying that it's ruining my experience.

You can point to the troll threads that pop up in R&P once every couple months by Fox12 or CM156, such as the recent "Race Bait". I grant you that. They're in poor taste. They also get locked down tight by the moderation team within a couple of hours, and threads that happen so rarely that are dealt with so quickly and decisively can't possibly be ruining your experience to such an extent as to warrant threads like this.

Just, relax dude. Play a game you like and talk about it in Gaming. Wax off about Trump in R&P if that makes you happy. Just... do something for yourself.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
You.

Canadamus Prime said:
I just feel like the community has gotten much more hostile. I don't understand the friction between the moderation team and staff and the rest of the community.
Also you.

Canadamus Prime said:
I think they need to introduce a "camel's back" clause into the CoC to deal with this sort of situation. Meaning that if someone makes an ass of themselves long enough without explicitly breaking any of the rules the mods can still bring down the hammer on them.
I could literally do this all day.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Armadox said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You don't say. Working together. Like... Like...

Canadamus Prime said:
I couldn't be bothered to read all that, I only got as far as "elections" However I will say the same thing I brought up on Wynn's declaration. The Escapist is not some sort of nation, it is a privately owned and operated website. It doesn't have a constitution guaranteeing you anything, it has a Code of Conduct which YOU are expected to follow. It is not a democracy and we does't need elections. It has a staff of volunteers trying to hold the site together and all this whining isn't helping.
Oh right, we're not a democracy. Shit. Guess we'll go back to shitposting. Nice whining though. Top notch.
Oh Christ!! You're really going to throw my reaction to Epyc Fayl's nonsense in my face? Really?? I stand by that statement. This is not some sort of great nation, it is not suffering under some sort of tyrannical dictatorship nor is it a democracy. It is now a really small Internet community on a dying website staffed by volunteers whose lives aren't made any easier by people being assholes at them. I won't defend them when they are being assholes back which is why I say to everyone that we need to work together.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Canadamus Prime said:
I should've known better than to try and express myself in the "new" Escapist.
Dude.

Come on.

That could apply to any point in the past 5-8+ years, depending on what you were "expressing."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
LostGryphon said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Dude.

Come on.

That could apply to any point in the past 5-8+ years, depending on what you were "expressing."
...sorry. Armadox just pissed me off when he threw some of my old comments back in my face.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Armadox said:
You.

Canadamus Prime said:
I just feel like the community has gotten much more hostile. I don't understand the friction between the moderation team and staff and the rest of the community.
Also you.

Canadamus Prime said:
I think they need to introduce a "camel's back" clause into the CoC to deal with this sort of situation. Meaning that if someone makes an ass of themselves long enough without explicitly breaking any of the rules the mods can still bring down the hammer on them.
Once again related to Epyc Fayl. I thought I was helping. Epyc Fayl was a disruption and I thought my suggestion would help with such disruptions. Maybe it wasn't a good one, but FFS I was trying to help. Now do you have nothing better to do than throw my old posts back in my face?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:
LostGryphon said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Dude.

Come on.

...sorry. Armadox just pissed me off when he threw some of my old comments back in my face.
Canadamus Prime said:
Hey Wynn, if you bothered to get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds you might realize the site doesn't have the staff to implement any of your suggestions even if you had a place to give them.
We still don't have staff. But suddenly you want to make suggestions now?

Canadamus Prime said:
@DraconianMod I don't know what you're trying to achieve here. We've already pretty much established that the site is beyond saving at this point despite Caramel Frappe's best efforts. So what is your end game? Pointing out that the "good old days" weren't so good? Ok sure, but they were still way better than now because at least the site was ALIVE back then.
And suddenly the site is worth saving, and you want everyone to just come together. But, hey thanks for finally getting on my bus after months. Welcome aboard, now get in the back.

And another thing...

Silvanus said:
Please don't.
Shit. Someone asked nicely. Ok then. Show's over. What's actually on the table then?

Personally what I've said for months still stands, we need to stop treating this place as a magazine. A lot of the site outside the forum is untouchable by the remaining staff. They literally don't have keys to the kingdom. But what they do have is the front page, and the forum. So yes, it's time to cut the forum loose, and work on it as if it is it's own entity. If BC feels he's able to close WW, could he open a new forum? If so open a forum at the top, anc all it the New CoC and Staff Requests. Then just prop up the new CoC, and yes be diplomatic about it. Take and hear out requests to new rules. Make this a place for us by us. There is no new membership, so anyone who reads it, well they're the actual community and should follow it or explain a better method. We've been trough draconian staff to many time already. Time for something new.

I've got some... ideas on Community Driven content too, but the thing is there's nothing that would be done this month with the Christmas season on us, so this conversation should wait til after the first when you'll get more mod and staff to view it and respond. It's alright to chat until then, but any big drive would happen later...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
You know what? You're right! Now's the time for the community to dig deep, pull together, and post in my threads. As a community! That's the best way - no, the only way to save the site!

Canadamus Prime said:
Once again related to Epyc Fayl. I thought I was helping. Epyc Fayl was a disruption and I thought my suggestion would help with such disruptions. Maybe it wasn't a good one, but FFS I was trying to help. Now do you have nothing better to do than throw my old posts back in my face?
I liked Epyc Wynn. He was really active and passionate and made it feel like there was a lot of life in the forums still.

I think it was kind of sad how much hate he got.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Silvanus said:
Armadox said:
Please don't.
Mmmmm... No.

I'll continue the practice because, frankly, the only way to get through to someone is to make them aware that they are part of the problem. Only when they can admit that without making excuses or qualifiers or "Well, it was just this one time", then they will be ready to think about what they post. Instead of pleading for community togetherness in one breath and then being a total ass in the next post, they'll take a couple of breaths before reacting.

So, without further adieu, this is from an EA topic. All I had been trying to point out is that the cost of making games has indeed gone up since 2002 which, in Canadamus' eyes, somehow constituted a defense of Lootboxes and/or EA. My last post was to ask him where, in any of my posts, I had defended either. His response:

Canadamus Prime said:
Maybe you didn't defend that specific practice, but you still seem awfully eager to come to the defense of greedy mega corporations that don't give 2 shits about you. They only think of you as cattle, or should I say whales.
And FFS Let's not go with the "trying to help" line.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/71/6d/06716d87e0ed525d43e1eb48213804ff.jpg

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well your problem is going into Wild West - its a shit place, and no one who posts there has any right to complain about the sight going downhill. Its just a place for people without the spine to go to 4chan

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
thepyrethatburns said:
Silvanus said:
Armadox said:
Please don't.
Mmmmm... No.

I'll continue the practice because, frankly, the only way to get through to someone is to make them aware that they are part of the problem. Only when they can admit that without making excuses or qualifiers or "Well, it was just this one time", then they will be ready to think about what they post. Instead of pleading for community togetherness in one breath and then being a total ass in the next post, they'll take a couple of breaths before reacting.

So, without further adieu, this is from an EA topic. All I had been trying to point out is that the cost of making games has indeed gone up since 2002 which, in Canadamus' eyes, somehow constituted a defense of Lootboxes and/or EA. My last post was to ask him where, in any of my posts, I had defended either. His response:

Canadamus Prime said:
Maybe you didn't defend that specific practice, but you still seem awfully eager to come to the defense of greedy mega corporations that don't give 2 shits about you. They only think of you as cattle, or should I say whales.
And FFS Let's not go with the "trying to help" line.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/71/6d/06716d87e0ed525d43e1eb48213804ff.jpg
Ok, maybe I am part of the problem. Also I'm sorry for my behavior in the quoted thread.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Canadamus Prime said:
You know what? This thread was a mistake. If a mod happens to wander by, please lock it.
Okey Dokey

If you change your mind, feel free to poke one of us.