Companies You are Currently Boycotting

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
What are some of the companies you have decided that you're not going to buy from anymore? Are there some that you prefer greatly? If you want to, explain why you are boycotting them, or why you prefer another company.

Here's my list:

1. Activision (We all know about what they've done. xD)
2. Wal-Mart (Terrible, evil business practices that kill small businesses)
EDIT: 3. Apple (Shitty, overpriced products that have better alternatives... except maybe the iPhone 4, but I still say my EVO is better.)
4. Amway (Scroll to bottom to see why.)
5. Facebook/Zynga, Myspace, Twitter, etc. (Don't even get me started. I hate FaceBook, and Zynga is pure evil. Most other social networking sites are just as terrible, feeding off of the entire world's drama... Blargh.)

Now, it's hard for me to find a replacement company for Activision, because only they can publish their games (Starcraft, Black Ops, etc) but that's okay. I think I'll live. Instead of shopping at Wal-Mart for my groceries, I go to Hy-Vee (Might be a local store) or I go to Target sometimes as well, though I doubt they are any better than Wal-mart is.

If I don't buy a game online, the one place I always go is GameStop. I'm gonna' explain why, but it's long-winded and preachy so I'll spoiler it. XD I could totally do an ad for these guys.

I know they've done some pretty shitty things, and their trade-in policy is shit, but at my local GameStop, they treat me real well. It's right by my house, the staff knows me by name, when I'm interested in certain limited items they'll usually contact me first. (Example: Wanted the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition (This was before boycotting Activision...), but they ran out of pre-orders. Some people cancelled theirs, and they let me know before any of the other folks that they had some available.) One day, I was checking on my pre-orders and I think buying a game, when the dude at the counter noticed I had Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood pre-ordered for Xbox 360. He asked me if I had a PS3, and when I said yes he gave me a code for the multiplayer beta. I felt pretty good about that. The people there are just willing to go out of their way for me 'cos I shop there a lot, I guess, and that's enough to keep me coming.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also really like Steam, for no other reason than they have a lot of really good deals, and they still allow full support for modding.

Other than that, I don't have many other preferred or avoided companies. Maybe you guys can change my mind?

EDIT: Here's a video for why Amway is a piece of shit organization:

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Im not boycotting any company, but i guess you will never see me with an Apple product..
I dont hate xbox, but i dont think i will buy one..

Oh wait... I boycott mercedes somewhat, until they make a car that dont rust apart within 2 years from new, i will never buy one again..

So im driving a BMW know, dont think i will ever go back to mercedes..

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
I am pretty much with you on the Activision/Wall-Mart front.

I use Game Stop to purchase used games of the rare Activision games that I would really like. Knowing that they will receive no profits from the sale, helps me believe that my boycott remains intact.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Tears of Blood said:
What are some of the companies you have decided that you're not going to buy from anymore? Are there some that you prefer greatly? If you want to, explain why you are boycotting them, or why you prefer another company.

Here's my list:

1. Activision (We all know about what they've done. xD)
2. Wal-Mart (Terrible, evil business practices that kill small businesses)

That's it for now. Pretty short list.

Now, it's hard for me to find a replacement company for Activision, because only they can publish their games (Starcraft, Black Ops, etc) but that's okay. I think I'll live. Instead of shopping at Wal-Mart for my groceries, I go to Hy-Vee (Might be a local store) or I go to Target sometimes as well, though I doubt they are any better than Wal-mart is.

If I don't buy a game online, the one place I always go is GameStop. I'm gonna' explain why, but it's long-winded and preachy so I'll spoiler it. XD I could totally do an ad for these guys.

I know they've done some pretty shitty things, and their trade-in policy is shit, but at my local GameStop, they treat me real well. It's right by my house, the staff knows me by name, when I'm interested in certain limited items they'll usually contact me first. (Example: Wanted the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition (This was before boycotting Activision...), but they ran out of pre-orders. Some people cancelled theirs, and they let me know before any of the other folks that they had some available.) One day, I was checking on my pre-orders and I think buying a game, when the dude at the counter noticed I had Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood pre-ordered for Xbox 360. He asked me if I had a PS3, and when I said yes he gave me a code for the multiplayer beta. I felt pretty good about that. The people there are just willing to go out of their way for me 'cos I shop there a lot, I guess, and that's enough to keep me coming.

Other than that, I don't have many other preferred or avoided companies. Maybe you guys can change my mind?
I Boycott any product I don't want to buy. =]

Seriously though, if someone makes something I want, well that's pretty much end of story there, I want it, will try to get it.

Martin Toy

Aug 24, 2010
I agree with Corpse XxX, I'm not boycotting Apple but I know I will NEVER own one of their stupidly expensive and easy to break products.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Corpse XxX said:
Im not boycotting any company, but i guess you will never see me with an Apple product..
I dont hate xbox, but i dont think i will buy one..

Oh wait... I boycott mercedes somewhat, until they make a car that dont rust apart within 2 years from new, i will never buy one again..

So im driving a BMW know, dont think i will ever go back to mercedes..
OH YEAH! Apple! I forgot about them. XD

GrammarLad said:
Found a black hair in my milkshake, so, no more McDonalds for a while ;)
Lol. Just think, that's the one that you DID find... think of all the ones you DIDN'T find. xD

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I don't "boycott". Though there are some companies who I would only buy second hand stuff of (Apple being the main one). That's more of a "No way am I paying full price for this crap when I can get it 30% cheaper in a year when the new model is out". Apple being the main one there, friend bought a macbook for £900 about 18 months ago, wants to sell it for £300 now so they can afford the new £900 one.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I avoid shopping at EB Games. I just think their staff members are retarded, they have very little stock with not much variety, and they're overpriced. I know it's Australia, but still.

There are a couple of independent stores in Melbourne that I shop at instead. The people who work there are gamers, and actually know what they're talking about. And it depends on the game, but they stock games that are up to $30-$40 cheaper than what EB sells them for.

Apart from that, I don't eat at the Pancake Parlour because of their alleged association with the Church of Scientology, and my parents don't buy Nestle products because of their infant formula shenanigans back in the late '70s. Sadly, I am addicted to Milo. There are also a few clothing stores that I avoid because their staff have a tendency to try on the stock and then put it back on the rack in questionable condition.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Just about any gaming distributor except Eidos and MediMax. Exception - games for 5? or less.
Holy crap, and Eidos isn't even around anymore, is it? I think it's part of Square Enix now. Also, I've never even heard of MediMax.

I mean, EA and Ubisoft can sometimes do some crappy things, but for the most part they seem to keep their noses clean. Why don't you buy from anyone but those two companies?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I'm not really boycotting anyone for moral reasons, except, where possible, Google. That said, companies I avoid include Apple, Sainsbury's and Burger King.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
Something just keeps me from buying consoles altogether. It's not that I dislike the companies in anyway, but nothing about consoles really excites me enough to tempt me from PCs.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Sven und EIN HUND said:
Something just keeps me from buying consoles altogether. It's not that I dislike the companies in anyway, but nothing about consoles really excites me enough to tempt me from PCs.
Understandable, I also really like Steam, which I forgot to mention. Will have to edit that in.

I do think you're missing out, though. Some of the console exclusives are brilliant games.

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
BT
Ikea
RBS and all their subsidiaries
A local furniture store that none of you will have heard of
The Club Quarters chain of hotels

I have my reasons for all of them.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Lusty said:
BT
Ikea
RBS and all their subsidiaries
A local furniture store that none of you will have heard of
The Club Quarters chain of hotels

I have my reasons for all of them.
Sorry, what's BT and RBS?

It'd be interesting to hear why you hate them, too.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Cuddly Razor said:
I'm not buying from tampon companies.

For obvious reasons.
Don't and never will have a girlfriend/wife?

As for me, you'll never see me using overriced Apple stuff. Other than that, I don't buy expensive games, so I guess I boycott a lot of things that aren't in the bargain bin or in a Steam sale.